Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Argarath

Liverpool (PL Asia Trophy - Final) match thread Sat 22nd July

Lawrence has a long way to go before he becomes a footballer still a lightweight just not on it.King I forgot was playing.Ndidi looked pretty good.But their second goal was just people taking a step back expecting a cross we need to sort that out quick.Decent game though

OK so highlighted our lack of creativity (Mahrez aside)...but that said:

Thought Maguire looks the business - A CB who has the confidence to play the ball out, looks solid and isn't knocking on door of retirement. So that's good news.

Delighted to see Matty back and looking good.  Forgot how blummin solid he is too and some of the passes he made were sublime.  So pleased for him and us.

Think there are glimpses of promise from Lawrence - he too looks no nonsense and solid so that's a bonus for the Prem.  Gives me hope that between him and Gray we may at least have some options in the creative area - they'll both clearly need work but there's promise with both so fingers crossed..

34 minutes ago, the fox said:

Some good news:thumbup:

Much as I would love to see him stay here, I think he will go in a Sissoko style last minute move. If Neymar really goes to PSG, it will flood the European market with money and he'll go during that phase. The thing that worries me is that this will happen and we will be stuck without a creative player in the squad. Mahrez is what separates us from the West Brom's of this world - IE an average team.

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Much as I would love to see him stay here, I think he will go in a Sissoko style last minute move. If Neymar really goes to PSG, it will flood the European market with money and he'll go during that phase. The thing that worries me is that this will happen and we will be stuck without a creative player in the squad. Mahrez is what separates us from the West Brom's of this world - IE an average team.

I can't see why we can't just issue a statement that if no acceptable bid has been received before a certain date then he will not be sold this window as we won't have time to sign a replacement. Mahrez is a game changer on form and there are few of those in the game especially ones willing to come to us. Without him we are a bang average premier league mid table side. Ihaenacho may lessen our dependence on him and Vards which we desperately need.

1 hour ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I thought he was just ok.  Loads of crap long balls.  I really hope we dont play 4-5-1 too

much this season.  Boring as **** to watch.

Yeh i agree as Vardy can get isolated in that formation. Problem being though that most teams play 3 in midfield and when we have a 2 man midfield we can get overrun. We were fine when we had Kante as he was like 2 players but now I feel we need look at other formations other than just 442. 

2 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I thought he was just ok.  Loads of crap long balls.  I really hope we dont play 4-5-1 too

much this season.  Boring as **** to watch.

Our long ball really needs to change.

Towards the end of last season we were shit to watch.

I don't think Shakespeare will last the season. Hasn't changed enough for me - we need a sort of rebuild.

Guest seanfox778
1 hour ago, the fox said:

Some good news:thumbup:

Sounds like good news but he's never going to come out and say there's no chance he's staying. It's the only logical answer he can give.

59 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

He won't go. You've heard it here first. Neither Arse nor the Chicks will splash 50M for him. The other top teams aren't interested and he won't to Roma. If we manage to sign KI and a quality CAM, we will compete for an european spot this season already.

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We started very well both halves. I thought Mahrez was exceptional the opening 20-30 mins. James looked sharp and Slimani was efficient and ruthless. Maguire looks so assured on the ball and is a superb signing. 

I I have no idea why King was given any minutes today, he could have done a spot of stop start running with one of the coaches and let Barnes have a go. Tom Lawrence did show some signs of brilliance and I hope we give him a good go, he's definitely an option on either wing or through the middle. That said we've still Gray and Chilwell to come back in so there really is so many players available.

I honestly think it's time to bin King. This might not be the thread to be saying this but we need to lose 2 central midfielders and an attacker. James looks more dynamic than King who has lost any attacking ability he once had. 

Agree with you (as almost always) and I'm a little disappointed Barnes didn't get a run out. Am I right in thinking he is only outfield player that travels that didn't? Would have been nice to see him get some mins. 

Agree with you on King (re: what did we learn?) although think you are slightly harsh on him. Very good squad player and dressing room influence, not on tons and his Beckenbaueresque move in the second half was sublime. He was also more effective than Drinky (sorry, I appear to be bashing him today, I really like him but just don't think he's up to his high standards, and I'm still not sure what type of midfielder he is trying to be) as well. 

We have some more preseason games to come, so hopefully Barnes gets a run out, Chilly and Gray to come back and Drinky to dominate (maybe he doesn't like the heat?) 

We have so many possible combinations in midfield it's starting to feel like a game of football manager where I don't mind if one of them gets injured so we can try out a different combination

In terms of game management I think Shakey pretty much gave up on the idea of a win when he brought on AK. Perhaps he had the Spurs game in mind, where going balls out for the win was heavily punished.

Can't think of any other reason he wouldn't give Barnes a tryout. Perfect (and missed) opportunity. Shame.

3 hours ago, dynamark said:

Lawrence has a long way to go before he becomes a footballer still a lightweight just not on it.King I forgot was playing.Ndidi looked pretty good.But their second goal was just people taking a step back expecting a cross we need to sort that out quick.Decent game though

But everyone knows Coutinho likes to cross the ball and never goes in and curls the ball in the top corner with his right boot.:nigel:

15 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

One thing I was happy with was at one point we had a corner and it was a bit of a throwback to the MON land of the giants days.

Ulloa 6ft 3

Ibora 6ft 3

Maguire 6ft 3

Morgan 6ft 2

Ndidi 6ft 1

Fuchs 6ft 1

Shame the corner didnt clear the 1st man but hey ho.

From what I've seen of pre season so far I'd rather we stuck with the smaller team with the ability to attack with pace/movement and concede the odd set piece.

Archived