Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

On 27/07/2022 at 19:27, davieG said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62324896

Uefa announces plans to trial safe standing areas in European competitions
Last updated on1 minute ago1 minute ago.
From the sectionEuropean Football
Chelsea fans at Stamford Bridge
Chelsea fans in the safe-standing section at Stamford Bridge for their game against Liverpool in January - the first licensed standing allowed at a top flight ground in England for 30 years
Uefa is to trial safe standing at men's European club competitions in England, Germany and France during the 2022-23 season.

European football's governing body will observe standing facilities to see if it can be reintroduced.

It is being limited to countries where safe standing is "authorised and implemented at a domestic level".

In July, the Premier League and Championship were given the go-ahead for safe standing areas.

The Uefa trial will apply to group stage and knockout rounds up to and including the semi-finals.

"The objective is to assess if and under what conditions standing may be reintroduced in Uefa competitions in a safe manner," Uefa said.

Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham are in the Champions League, Arsenal and Manchester United in the Europa League, and West Ham in the European Conference League.

Safe standing areas have existed at Germany's top-flight football grounds for a number of years - most famously at Borussia Dortmund's Westfalenstadion.

Dortmund celebrated the news in a tweet, saying that for the first time their European home games will be attended by 81,365 fans - their usual official capacity for Bundesliga matches.

Last season, four Premier League clubs - Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur - and Championship side Cardiff City took part in a government-commissioned pilot study.

On 2 January, Stamford Bridge became the first top-flight ground to allow licensed standing in almost 30 years when Chelsea and Liverpool met in a 2-2 Premier League draw.

Designated standing areas had not been seen at Premier League grounds since the adoption of all-seater stadiums in the early 1990s - a recommendation of the Taylor Report following the 1989 Hillsborough disaster that claimed the lives of 97 fans.

No excuses now LCFC.

Does anyone know what is required before clubs in England can get safe standing like they do in the rest of Europe?

34 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Nothing, it can be put in immediately.

Not sure we can:-

Safe Standing Roadshow - Safe standing, but not as we know it

Unlike in Europe and Scotland, where for standing use rail seats are tipped up and locked out of the way to leave each row completely free of any obstruction, the government’s failure to remove the all-seater policy red tape requiring an unlocked seat for every spectator means that in the Premier League bulky seats will remain, taking up valuable space that is vital to spectator safety.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

Just when you think we were making progress.

[IMG]

Never been in that section for obvious reasons but if it is anything like the away end there then you cannot blame people for standing up. Cramped, inadequate legroom and standing is an infinitely better and more comfortable experience.

The day we stop demonising people standing up cannot come soon enough.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not really sure what you mean by "in Europe" tbh. Different types of safe standing are used across Europe. 

I mean the lock seats allowing more room so it's safer for fans to move around and in case of emergency for steward or paramedics.  I thought it was strange that they would allow clubs to introduce it but then install a less safe version.  Seems there is still red tape to get through before we can introduce it.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, GlennyFox55 said:

We could easily install them in the singing section after the Newport game and do away with all the stewarding nonsense that’s come about since the Forest game. 

I wonder what the club spend on the additional stewards in SK1 per game? 

Given the club pay over the odds for lots of things I wouldn’t be surprised if it was several thousand per game.

I'm surprised the club haven't started making movements on safe standing considering United (?), Spurs, Man City, Wolves, Chelsea and now Leeds all have it installed. We know they're too risk-averse to lead on anything but I would have thought seeing those clubs go for it would instigate some action.

Edited by Nugent

1 hour ago, Nugent said:

I'm surprised the club haven't started making movements on safe standing considering United (?), Spurs, Man City, Wolves, Chelsea and now Leeds all have it installed. We know they're too risk-averse to lead on anything but I would have thought seeing those clubs go for it would instigate some action.

Liverpool have about 5k rail seats with the view to add more. Believe Brentford also have them in the away end + a section in the home end.

Newcastle have set out plans to have them installed sometime next year.

Statements like the one below by Sheff Utd show how far behind some clubs still are on the issue.

https://www.sufc.co.uk/news/2022/october/26/kop-issues/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nugent said:

Don't think they are bothered, really.