Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

Bittersweet this. Obviously delighted for the legislation to have finally been changed, the writing has been on the wall for a few years now. 

But knowing that this is so far down the list of the club's priorities is a real sickener. A standing section isn't at all "on brand" with regards to the type of club they're looking to create, especially after the expansion. 

Great news for others but still a long, hard slog to get it here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

I wonder which other clubs will go for this that had not already starting putting rail seats in.

Pretty sure there was talk of both Villa and Leeds going to go for it.

Surely we're talking about different types of standing areas here.  Only rails in front of existing seats have been installed in the top division and not the sort that now can be installed.

This will happen but I think it might have to wait until the East Stand expansion is completed.

Other than the back of SK1 the only real area this would work at present, without forcing too many people to relocate is L1. 

I think the club would want ideally want it either behind the goal or East Stand/Kop corner. 

I suppose at least now it’s happening, the club will need to nail its colours to the mast on this issue out in the open.

You never know, if a majority of PL clubs go for it they may go along. 

I imagine they will use the stadium expansion as a reason to do nothing in the short to medium term though. 

They key issue is - how many people would go for it at the KP? 

Personally, i don't really care about safe standing because i don't think it'll make any difference at the King Power. In the league winning season it was pretty damn loud and the atmosphere was brilliant, that had nothing to do with safe standing. It'll just be a fad so that fans can say we've got it and the novelty will soon wear off. What i do think will make a massive difference is this:

https://news.sky.com/story/drinking-alcohol-in-seats-at-football-grounds-could-be-permitted-as-part-of-fan-led-review-into-game-12416452

• Like 3

As someone who has had ankle/ knee injuries recently, I am acutely aware of how much of a pain it can be to stand for a few hours. That's where a balance needs to be struck and I'd want to make sure that people who are comfortable sitting are catered for. 

That said, I think every stadium should have safe standing and for people with kids and families, they should still have their own standing area. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

I suppose at least now it’s happening, the club will need to nail its colours to the mast on this issue out in the open.

You never know, if a majority of PL clubs go for it they may go along. 

I imagine they will use the stadium expansion as a reason to do nothing in the short to medium term though. 

They key issue is - how many people would go for it at the KP? 

I'd say the demand is there and people will be keen to get involved once it's a reality.

3 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

As someone who has had ankle/ knee injuries recently, I am acutely aware of how much of a pain it can be to stand for a few hours. That's where a balance needs to be struck and I'd want to make sure that people who are comfortable sitting are catered for. 

That said, I think every stadium should have safe standing and for people with kids and families, they should still have their own standing area. 

The ground will still be circa 95% seating if this happens after the expansion. I wouldn't worry about not having a seat.

Also the second point is an interesting one, a lot of German teams have a kid's standing area for younger fans that want an area in-between the family stand and the full on terrace.

Edited by Sol thewall Bamba
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

The ground will still be circa 95% seating if this happens after the expansion. I wouldn't worry about not having a seat.

Also the second point is an interesting one, a lot of German teams have a kid's standing area for younger fans that want an area in-between the family stand and the full on terrace.

well we're about 30 years behind Germany so your kids kids might see that happen.

8 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Personally, i don't really care about safe standing because i don't think it'll make any difference at the King Power. In the league winning season it was pretty damn loud and the atmosphere was brilliant, that had nothing to do with safe standing. It'll just be a fad so that fans can say we've got it and the novelty will soon wear off. What i do think will make a massive difference is this:

https://news.sky.com/story/drinking-alcohol-in-seats-at-football-grounds-could-be-permitted-as-part-of-fan-led-review-into-game-12416452

Comparing atmosphere to the title winning season is not really a good comparison. Right now the atmosphere is cr4p. Safe standing will allow likeminded fans to gather in one area and make noise. It will improve the matchday experience. Have a look round Europe and you'll see.

Let's not kid ourselves though, that title winning season atmosphere is unlikely to ever resurface, so let's not use that as a marker.

The alcohol point I agree with. Pretty dull rule anyway. Will prevent half empty stadium at 40 mins and until 50 mins. Not sure it will liven the atmosphere in general but another step forward.

10 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Despite the fact that sizeable sections of our ground have stood for years… :blink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

Despite the fact that sizeable sections of our ground have stood for years… :blink:

Sizeable … I don’t think so , more like a small minority in SK1 . The only time sizeable sections of the ground  stand up is  to applaud   a player off or on,  show some respect for a past player or someone  that’s died . I’ve nothing against safe standing but it makes me absolutely howl that those screaming for it think 100% of out fans want it and our club is shit  because you think they  don’t want to entertain it . 

• Like 1

Eh, it's not like they're properly policing L1 or SK1 anyway. When it comes out in the wash that Safe Standing is working while we're still bashing our knees or tumbling down three rows when Kelechi smashes one top bins, they'll cave. :whistle:

44 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

What happens to those that have always stood but then when we introduce the standing area it is somewhere else? I assume just carry on standing as it doesn’t affect anyone

They’ll have to sit down or we would end up with safe standing and unsafe standing, I think a lot of people are ignorant to this.