Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

I always have a wry smile when I hear over the tannoy at every home game that LCFC is an ALL-SEATER stadium and standing is prohibited. 

The other issue is; why does the Club employ so many stewards in SK1, far more than anywhere else in the ground except near to the away fans, who stand idly by when there is a clear flagrance of this ruling.

Edited by David Hankey

31 minutes ago, davieG said:

We'd probably end up with something like this.

Corporate Standing

Leicester City’s next home fixture vs. Manchester City in the Premier League is a chance to sample the all-new Corporate Standing; a package which serves up the ultimate lunchtime occasion for the visit of the reigning champions.

- Leicester City entertain Manchester City on Saturday 29 October (12:30pm kick-off)
- The only remaining hospitality package for this fixture is the new  Corporate Standing, priced at £150 + VAT per person
- Places can be secured via LCFC.com/tickets or by calling 0344 815 5000 (Option 2)

Corporate Standing  - a new package available  for all games throughout 2022/23 - offers a relaxed setting in which to soak up the matchday atmosphere, with South Stand Railings available to all guests.

One of our match-by-match offerings for Premier League games this season, all guests can enjoy a hot Bovril on arrival, large bag of Walkers Crisps from two-and-a-half hours prior to kick-off, a cash bar, videos of LCFC legends on big screens in our luxurious spacious Concourse, plus a copy of CITY, the Club’s official programme with accompanying LCFC Song Sheet plus a Cash Burger Bar with a wide range of options for those with a discerning taste.

Corporate Standing is located in the South Stand, providing a spacious, safe and relaxed atmosphere to enjoy the unique atmosphere associated with matchday hospitality.

Click HERE or contact the hospitality team on 0344 815 5000 (Option 2) to attend Leicester City vs. Manchester City in style. 

You had me going there for a minute, thought this was actually a real quote from the LCFC site. Good one!!

I think there will always be clubs in England that understand some fans will want to stand at games and therefore and will allow them to stand in safety.  And there will also be clubs who don't want fans to stand at all and will go out of their way to make sure they don't.  

We're just a weird country when it comes to fans standing.

While Hillsborough was awful and 96 people needlessly lost their lives, it's evident that the ability to stand was dwarfed by bad stewarding, bad policing and safety issues. 

Things are very, very different now and the lower leagues, as well as live music venues and festivals, demonstrate that standing can be done safely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

I don’t think our club has moved out of that awful period around 07-13 where the debate around standing at football was seen as really edgy due in parts to the Hillsborough family justice groups.

The club destroyed the N block movements with similar stewarding tactics that they recently have again deployed.

The arguments have moved on massively but it feels very much like the powers at be at our club are still very much in the dark on the whole thing.

They are happy to have the biggest away end in the country, well over the limit we are required to allocate bizarrely though.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, David Hankey said:

The other issue is; why does the Club employ so many stewards in SK1, far more than anywhere else in the ground except near to the away fans, who stand idly by when there is a clear flagrance of this ruling.

Has Mr Flagrant and Mrs Fragrance had a dirty affair and made this baby?

• Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Seeing this post reminded me of Molineux last Sunday. Nice, fairly big safe standing section in the corner and guess what? 99% of people sat down in it. Very odd.

Was wondering the same thing, looked like railing for safe standing

Tbf probably wasn't worth your knees given how sh*** they were lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

Seeing this post reminded me of Molineux last Sunday. Nice, fairly big safe standing section in the corner and guess what? 99% of people sat down in it. Very odd.

Believe It’s where the away end will be when the stadium expansion is carried out and is also the away end for teams that take a smaller following. 

• Like 1

This whole debate is relevant to a few hundred at most. It really isn’t what most fans are bothered about right now as most don’t want to stand anyway. If it happens for the few who are keen and is safe then great but this obsession with it is just tedious.

Edited by Mr Weller 2
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

This whole debate is relevant to a few hundred at most. It really isn’t what most fans are bothered about right now as most don’t want to stand anyway. If it happens for the few who are keen and is safe then great but this obsession with it is just tedious.

It's not a couple of hundred though is it? We've been made to sit after years of standing, the point is, there should be a choice. Safe standing works whether people like it or not, it's the stubbornness of certain English clubs including ours that let this down. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

But you’re bothered enough to click on the forum and reply to it

8 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

Don't come in the thread then? 

9 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

They also have it behind the goal where I assume everyone stood.

10 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

I did think that too. However, I know Wolves sometimes allocate that section to away fans when they have a small following (cup games). So wonder if linked to that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr Weller 2 said:

There are easily more than 5,000 people standing in total at every home game of ours, plus more who no doubt would if there was a safer way to do so.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, J.Lisemore said:

It's not a couple of hundred though is it? We've been made to sit after years of standing, the point is, there should be a choice. Safe standing works whether people like it or not, it's the stubbornness of certain English clubs including ours that let this down. 

It might not be a "couple of hundred" but it is certainly a minority. Also, just ask yourself why all seater stadiums were introduced.

17 hours ago, buzzer_b said:

Surely it’s only a matter of time until the club make the singing section a safe standing zone?

Not going to happen. The club have wanted that to fail from the start and as word has it the stewarding in that section has been getting more overzealous lately.

I personally think they were hoping it would attract enough trouble naturally from displacing fans and attracting wanna be ultras but that's not worked out so they are now going to be putting the pressure on in other ways. The club has had a set idea of what it wants a match day experience to be for the best part of 15 years now and they won't deviate from that at all. 

23 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

It might not be a "couple of hundred" but it is certainly a minority. Also, just ask yourself why all seater stadiums were introduced.

I'm well aware of the Taylor Report, thanks. The fact is all-seater stadia hasn't stopped standing, which happens every single week at all-seater stadia across the country. Those who want to do it need the facilities to do so safely.

20 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Is that 5K plus really true? If so, there is still over 27K who do not stand. 

Flawless maths.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Why do you think they were introduced? And what is your view on those reasons? Genuine questions here.

Personally, those laws/reasons is far outdated. In those times standing was not safe, there was overcrowding, police/stewards who were clueless, drunken people (and not just a minority). It was a different time.

Safe standing is like a seat but with minimal chance of falling over or crushing anyone. It allows those few thousand supporters who already stand (or who may wish to stand) that ability. I cannot see how anyone would stand (no pun intended) against that. I am pretty confident the 5K figure quoted/estimated above is not far off the demand for it. We have nearly 3K stand at every away game.