Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Safe Standing Roadshow

Safe standing - time to act

8 hours ago, Corky said:

Pedant alert- That's not correct. Sunderland in 1996/97 had terraces at Roker Park and Fulham in 2001/02 had standing areas at Craven Cottage. 

They kept going on about it in commentary but I thought Man City/Man Utd have both had safe standing all season so far?

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They kept going on about it in commentary but I thought Man City/Man Utd have both had safe standing all season so far?

Legally they couldn’t call them/ advertise them as standing areas before until today.

Did make a difference as the upper shed home end was also fully standing which doesn’t usually happen. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GlennyFox55 said:

Legally they couldn’t call them/ advertise them as standing areas before until today.

Did make a difference as the upper shed home end was also fully standing which doesn’t usually happen. 

Interesting. So they have turned an area where people normally choose to sit into a standing area? 

Seems to be both tiers of the Shed End and the lower tier of the opposite end - what is that as a % of the total capacity? Must be 15% or so at least? 

At the KP that would translate into not far short of 5K people standing… 

6 minutes ago, The_77 said:

I had no idea it’s easier to engage in racism and hate speech when standing. Ban “Safe” Standing NOW.

I imagine he has never been to the football. I'm pretty sure the cameras can still pick you out if your snorting some coke at your seat. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, adam said:

Why do you need to sit there? There's 3 other stands. This is problem. No flexibility. 

I don't take my son to the football, but looking around SK1 alone there are hundreds of people with kids there - my point is you can't just oust people from their seats who have been there since 2002, for example. What if they dont want to? I don't think its a question of flexibility, if I want to go into a shop and buy an apple I'd like an apple, not a banana - if you are intelligent enough to understand that. 

Edited by Tommy G

1 hour ago, Tommy G said:

I don't take my son to the football, but looking around SK1 alone there are hundreds of people with kids there - my point is you can't just oust people from their seats who have been there since 2002, for example. What if they dont want to? I don't think its a question of flexibility, if I want to go into a shop and buy an apple I'd like an apple, not a banana - if you are intelligent enough to understand that. 

Why do you need to get personal?  You're going on about my intelligence and that's the best you can do. 

Some of these kids will have to move anyway if we bring in safe standing. 

Edited by adam

I actually hope the standing area would be child-friendly, to some degree. I've quite a few mates who I know would be saddened if they couldn't take their kids on to such a section. Plus, what better way to inspire the next generation of supporters?

• Like 1

It was only a matter of time, but likely in terms of balance, there is an article on the BBC website today with a headline about standing being a step backwards: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59908736.

It gives voice to a Hillsborough campaigner... Its been covered before, but simplistically, Hillsborough was about ticketing and cages, with too many people being let into a section which didn't have any escape. The fact that it was a standing section was a bit of a moot point - it was more that that without set places, that was the area people without tickets would target so as not to get thrown out.

Reading the comments made, it says that "return to standing carries "risk"" and then does not make a single point as to what that risk is. (The question of what happens if maintenance isn't looked at properly is no different from any other area of a stadium and again, I can't see how that is a specific point against standing).

Its frustrating that these trials would not be taking place if the arguments against hadn't been slowly discredited, but there still seems to be an agenda to keep bringing them up anyway.

1 hour ago, Golden Fox said:

It was only a matter of time, but likely in terms of balance, there is an article on the BBC website today with a headline about standing being a step backwards: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59908736.

It gives voice to a Hillsborough campaigner... Its been covered before, but simplistically, Hillsborough was about ticketing and cages, with too many people being let into a section which didn't have any escape. The fact that it was a standing section was a bit of a moot point - it was more that that without set places, that was the area people without tickets would target so as not to get thrown out.

Reading the comments made, it says that "return to standing carries "risk"" and then does not make a single point as to what that risk is. (The question of what happens if maintenance isn't looked at properly is no different from any other area of a stadium and again, I can't see how that is a specific point against standing).

Its frustrating that these trials would not be taking place if the arguments against hadn't been slowly discredited, but there still seems to be an agenda to keep bringing them up anyway.

Pretty insulting given the Hillsborough survivors group back safe standing.