Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Cambiasso did wear a poppy the game after at Southampton. I'd completely understand if he didn't though.

I wear a poppy to the remembrance fixture and on 11th November/Remembrance Sunday, but I don't even think twice when somebody doesn't. For some reason, you see them towards the end of October until Mid-November, it's bizarre. 

You can usually tell how thick someone is by their opinion on James McClean. 

Southampton+v+Leicester+City+Premier+League+pqFJHMQY0Pix.jpg

Edited by RonnieTodger
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Remembrance was Remembrance, and now it's become an almost grotesque patriotism contest among some

in oz theyve just announced a half a BILLION dollar addition to the war memorial, meanwhile vets suffer ptsd etc and struggle for medical help.

I always wear a poppy at this time of the year, and feel proud to do so, for all those brave men who lost their lives fighting for their country. The 1st World War was horrific, and an unnecessary waste of human life. The 2nd World War had to be fought. If we had lost that, then only the Arion race would have wars, and freedom as we know it today, would not exist.

God Bless all who fell in those two Wars, and those who have died for their country since.

17 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

I always wear a poppy at this time of the year, and feel proud to do so, for all those brave men who lost their lives fighting for their country. The 1st World War was horrific, and an unnecessary waste of human life. The 2nd World War had to be fought. If we had lost that, then only the Arion race would have wars, and freedom as we know it today, would not exist.

God Bless all who fell in those two Wars, and those who have died for their country since.

I believe all this but I don't always wear a poppy. I can remember and be grateful without wearing one.

Freedom of choice allows for a freedom to say no as well as a freedom to say yes.

For anyone interested in WW1 there is a great exhibition at the Newarke showing the journey from the final year to the 20's at the minute.

We have a couple very good of museums in Leicester, very underrated.

Edit: As for McClean, he's entitled not to wear one, as is anyone. I struggle to have too much sympathy for him though after the petulant showing when the British anthem was played in the US and when he goes onto social media now to start quoting Bobby Sands I almost get the feeling he revels in the hate he gets from it.

Edited by MattP

13 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I believe all this but I don't always wear a poppy. I can remember and be grateful without wearing one.

Freedom of choice allows for a freedom to say no as well as a freedom to say yes.

13 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

yep, RIP to those who died in those wars but I don't need to wear a poppy to pay my respects.

But wearing a poppy IS the sign of respect ...    yes you have the ‘freedom to say no’ and ‘don’t need to wear one’ but then you are making no acknowledgement to it ...    and the money raised when you buy one goes to a god cause.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

But wearing a poppy IS the sign of respect ...    yes you have the ‘freedom to say no’ and ‘don’t need to wear one’ but then you are making no acknowledgement to it ...    and the money raised when you buy one goes to a god cause.   

I'd like to preface what I'm going to say with "I have the greatest respect for those who fought/died in the 2 world wars on our behalf", with that out of the way can you tell me why wearing a poppy is the sign of respect. To whom is it a sign of respect? The people you respect are dead or unlikely to see your poppy. I guess wearing it shows other people that you care and respect those who fought but is that just a "me me me" reaction again. Giving money for the cause and not wearing a poppy must be just as good as wearing the poppy, surely? Perhaps we should have different sized poppies depending on how much you donated or how big a percentage of your income you donated - that may be a better reflection of a person's respect.

Finally I don't care whether McClean wears a poppy or not. He has benefitted by those people dying in the wars though so I wish he'd just shut up.

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

It's a sign of respect. There are others too and not wearing one isn't a sign of disrespect. You can also give money to the cause without taking a poppy if you want.

I know ...   I said it IS the sign of respect ...  not THE sign of respect ...   if you don’t wear it then there is no visible sign ...  and yes I know not wearing one isn’t a sign of disrespect...   and yes I have put money in the collection box and not pinned a poppy on ...    not really sure what I’m arguing about here ...  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

I'd like to preface what I'm going to say with "I have the greatest respect for those who fought/died in the 2 world wars on our behalf", with that out of the way can you tell me why wearing a poppy is the sign of respect. To whom is it a sign of respect? The people you respect are dead or unlikely to see your poppy. I guess wearing it shows other people that you care and respect those who fought but is that just a "me me me" reaction again. Giving money for the cause and not wearing a poppy must be just as good as wearing the poppy, surely? Perhaps we should have different sized poppies depending on how much you donated or how big a percentage of your income you donated - that may be a better reflection of a person's respect.

Finally I don't care whether McClean wears a poppy or not. He has benefitted by those people dying in the wars though so I wish he'd just shut up.

See above ....  the poppy is the sign (not THE sign)  ...   like putting flowers on a grave ...   it’s not showing anyone else you care it’s an indication that you do and just shows respect.    And maybe it shows to soldiers that are alive that people are actually supportive to what they do ...   different sized poppies ? ...    you’re just being silly prof.  

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

See above ....  the poppy is the sign (not THE sign)  ...   like putting flowers on a grave ...   it’s not showing anyone else you care it’s an indication that you do and just shows respect.    And maybe it shows to soldiers that are alive that people are actually supportive to what they do ...   different sized poppies ? ...    you’re just being silly prof.  

Okay. I don't disagree with your principle.

I respect those who died for us in the 2 world wars, I also respect doctors and nurses, policeman and firefighters, teachers and cleaners etc... Should I go around with signs on me showing these people that I respect them or can I respect them in actions and words.

However I must admit that I'm not supportive of what most soldiers do. I don't agree with soldiers going into many of the foreign countries they go into and interfering for some political or economic reasons. I only believe in a defensive armed forces and the right to enlist every man/woman if the need and right arises for an offensive armed forces.

I'd prefer that those in the armed forces were transferred into other public sectors, including increasing the police force but also other nationalised work and concentrating on making England a better place (and safer internally) rather than having a standing army with very little to justify its cost.

25 minutes ago, FIF said:

I respect those who died for us in the 2 world wars, I also respect doctors and nurses, policeman and firefighters, teachers and cleaners etc... Should I go around with signs on me showing these people that I respect them or can I respect them in actions and words.

However I must admit that I'm not supportive of what most soldiers do. I don't agree with soldiers going into many of the foreign countries they go into and interfering for some political or economic reasons. I only believe in a defensive armed forces and the right to enlist every man/woman if the need and right arises for an offensive armed forces.

I'd prefer that those in the armed forces were transferred into other public sectors, including increasing the police force but also other nationalised work and concentrating on making England a better place (and safer internally) rather than having a standing army with very little to justify its cost.

Your moving about a bit here ...     not sure what the teachers and cleaners etc bit has got to do with anything ...    quite simply we are talking about a generation of young men who just got up and walked into a hail of bullets  ...   cus some tw@ts in power had a bit of an argument ...   they basically gave their lives for nothing.   We should never forget what happened to them ...   we should never forget their sacrifice.  Wearing a poppy basically says ...   I remember them.  That’s it ...   end of.    As regards the younger generation I actually understand that to them it’s just another part of history and if they don’t wear a poppy I have no issue whatsoever.

Whether or not we have armed forces is a different issue ...   personally I think we need some type of deterrent ...   buts that’s just my opinion and I’m not really bothered to argue about it one way or the other.   I agree about not going into countries and interfering ...   when that tw@t Blair had us getting involved in his big mate Bushs’ ridiculous spats Mrs CF didn’t wear a poppy in case it was seen as an agreement to it ...   I wore mine but totally understood where she was coming from.   

50 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Your moving about a bit here ...     not sure what the teachers and cleaners etc bit has got to do with anything ...    quite simply we are talking about a generation of young men who just got up and walked into a hail of bullets  ...   cus some tw@ts in power had a bit of an argument ...   they basically gave their lives for nothing.   We should never forget what happened to them ...   we should never forget their sacrifice.  Wearing a poppy basically says ...   I remember them.  That’s it ...   end of.    As regards the younger generation I actually understand that to them it’s just another part of history and if they don’t wear a poppy I have no issue whatsoever.

Whether or not we have armed forces is a different issue ...   personally I think we need some type of deterrent ...   buts that’s just my opinion and I’m not really bothered to argue about it one way or the other.   I agree about not going into countries and interfering ...   when that tw@t Blair had us getting involved in his big mate Bushs’ ridiculous spats Mrs CF didn’t wear a poppy in case it was seen as an agreement to it ...   I wore mine but totally understood where she was coming from.   

I think we agree on all your points there

I've visited many, many war museums and several war sites / war graves including Verdun, Auschwitz (twice), Polish ghettos, etc. 

I've stood and reflected at the graves of fallen soldiers - young men fighting the unnecessary wars of their governments.

I've reflected in these places and won't even go as far to say I've felt respect - I've felt sadness at the terrible waste of life on all sides.

I agree with someone else in the thread that said people treat the poppy like some kind of patriotic measurement these days - some sort of dick-swinging contest on who 'respects our lads' the most. 

I remember the wars and the people who died in them in my own way - I don't feel any need to wear the poppy.

but, in the spirit of what they fought for - each to their own. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FIF said:

ten of these and a texta 

Image result for wristbands

On 06/11/2018 at 10:08, Voll Blau said:

Because every year the same divs have a go at him for it, and every ground he goes to (ours included) he gets grief for it. Poor lad must feel like he's banging his head against a brick wall having to justify himself publicly each November. The mental thing is that 15 years ago no-one would've given a flying fvck. Remembrance was Remembrance, and now it's become an almost grotesque patriotism contest among some - and in McClean's case a nice and easy excuse to whip up some anti-Irish bigotry too without making yourself too much of a pariah.

I think I mentioned on here before what happened to me last season after Stoke away, where somebody in a pub questioned why I didn't have a poppy on (the game was on 4 November). That was a really strange feeling. At school I can remember wearing a poppy on Armistice Day, maybe a day or two before too, and on Remembrance Sunday if you were out in public. The meaning was understood and it was a solemn occasion (as I'm sure it remains for most of us today). Now you've got people almost celebrating it with really overt displays (poppy trees in town centres etc). Each to their own and stuff, but it does make me feel a bit uncomfortable as it feels somewhat at odds with what my understanding of the symbol and occasion was when I was growing up.

I think poppy season is a microcosm of the wider societal network of having to show your competitive respect/grief and join in with what's popular in the modern day. It's just magnified by 100x when it comes to this time of year.

Twitter search BBC Breakfast, for example, and many tweets when they're on air are asking why the poppy leaf isn't set to 11am on presenter/guests. We all know broadcasters force them on people, afraid of the torrent of abuse the guest or their network will get for not having one. Experiences like yours will probably become commonplace. You have to be seen to be paying respect. The satire of David Squires are hilarious but they're bang on. I've seen villagers on Facebook expressing outrage that their neighbouring village has poppies on every lamp post but they don't. It never bothered them in the many many years before the other village started, now it's mandatory.

It's absolutely going to get worse as years go on.

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

I think poppy season is a microcosm of the wider societal network of having to show your competitive respect/grief and join in with what's popular in the modern day. It's just magnified by 100x when it comes to this time of year.

Twitter search BBC Breakfast, for example, and many tweets when they're on air are asking why the poppy leaf isn't set to 11am on presenter/guests. We all know broadcasters force them on people, afraid of the torrent of abuse the guest or their network will get for not having one. Experiences like yours will probably become commonplace. You have to be seen to be paying respect. The satire of David Squires are hilarious but they're bang on. I've seen villagers on Facebook expressing outrage that their neighbouring village has poppies on every lamp post but they don't. It never bothered them in the many many years before the other village started, now it's mandatory.

It's absolutely going to get worse as years go on.

You know it's gone too far when the RBL have actually had to publicly state that there's no right or wrong way to wear a poppy - and that people don't have to do it if they don't want to. Feel sorry for an organisation that does such good work having to waste time and money on denouncing myths perpetuated for political or cultural purposes by people who claim to be "supporters" of the charity.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/stories/remembrance/how-do-you-wear-your-poppy/

The best thing about the poppy thing, especially the video of those weirdos falling over themselves to have a go at McClean, is that the people that get arsey never wear them. I've seen probably 5 people wearing a poppy in person this year.  Only people on the tele and old people wear one.

I'm proud that Leicester were the first club to wear poppies but I honestly wish we'd never bothered. Too much grief.

34 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I've seen probably 5 people wearing a poppy in person this year.  Only people on the tele and old people wear one.

Really? Where do you live out of interest? 

I probably see 5 just walking to the shop in the morning, it's not just the elderly either, I saw kids wearing them waiting for the school bus this morning.