Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 18/03/2024 at 09:07, leicsmac said:

The majority of talking heads on in the Anglosphere talking about the ridiculous nature of the Russian election (or life in China) would accept such systems with next to zero complaint if they lived and/or grew up in either of those countries.

Talk is cheap. Action is a lot more costly and very few people are cut out for suffering and dying to change things to a "freer" society. So perhaps the ordinary people in those places shouldn't be judged too harshly.

I have derided the so called Russian elections myself, but not in terms of the electorate, rather, the farcical and corrupt nature of system. I have seldom heard anyone vilify the people themselves for failing to stand up against or resist authoritarian /totalitarian dictatorships. 

Edited by SpacedX

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Clearly my views on the scrapping of FA Cup replays fall into this thread, based on the reaction over the last couple of days. Feels very lonely on this island :S

Are you for or against?

In general I don’t like change in football, but I can get on board with this.

Even then though, I don’t care that much. lol

52 minutes ago, SpacedX said:

I have derided the so called Russian elections myself, but not in terms of the electorate, rather, the farcical and corrupt nature of system. I have seldom heard anyone vilify the people themselves for failing to stand up against or resist authoritarian /totalitarian dictatorships. 

You're more than smart enough to be able to make the distinction between the government and its people in such countries.

Sadly a lot of people choose not to make that distinction and as such I have heard such vilification (if only implied a lot of the time by snide suggestions that because the systems persist, the people lack the strength to change the systems there) and tarring of a nation state, all of its people and its government for the actions of only the latter.

More so in the case of China than Russia, especially after Covid, come to that.

Edit: The irony of course being, that in a democratic system the people are actually far more responsible for the actions of their government than in places like China or Russia - the free and fair vote confers at least some power.

Edited by leicsmac

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Clearly my views on the scrapping of FA Cup replays fall into this thread, based on the reaction over the last couple of days. Feels very lonely on this island :S

I'd be ok with it if all matches were on a weekend (not this Monday or Thursday extended weekend bollocks) and the final was after the last premier league games. But I feel like it's edging towards a weekday cup competition.

Apologies to LCFC fans in the Hinckley/Nuneaton area but.....

I really hope Cov beat Man Utd this afternoon.

- I want to see O'Hare and Wright curl screamers into the top corner (before joining us in the summer for PL football)

- I want to see Ellis Simms fly Houchen-like through the air to bullet home the winner

- I want to see Jonny Evans crumple to the pitch at full-time, a broken man

- I want to see Harry Maguire cry on live TV

- I want to see Bruno Fernandes removed from the pitch in a ratcatcher's net, destination extermination (just joking, mods)

Is there anyone who's with me, supporting our brothers and neighbours? 

Come on. Show sympathy for the poor buggers, having to live in a city destroyed worse by architects and town-planners than by the Luftwaffe - and having to face it with 6 fingers on each hand....

UP THE COV!

image.jpeg.457dc84a3fc216a39d98fcb3b4e95a46.jpeg

Not sure who to support for Everton v. Forest, though, as I'd like them both to lose.

Whatever result best enables both of them to finish below Burnley and Luton, so as to get relegated with the Blades? Yes, that's the best solution.

• Like 3

I may have posted something along these lines before, but people who do marathons and 10ks and the times they run and add in those sorts who are rowing the Atlantic or climbing Kilimanjaros or that dude who ran Africa recently. Endurance shite. Oh add that awful Jodie Foster film recently on netflix about some elderly Doris who swam from Cuba to Florida. 

I couldn't be less interested. I'm pleased for them that they like it. But it's tremendously uninteresting. And I say that as a guy who enjoys a jog.

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I may have posted something along these lines before, but people who do marathons and 10ks and the times they run and add in those sorts who are rowing the Atlantic or climbing Kilimanjaros or that dude who ran Africa recently. Endurance shite. Oh add that awful Jodie Foster film recently on netflix about some elderly Doris who swam from Cuba to Florida. 

I couldn't be less interested. I'm pleased for them that they like it. But it's tremendously uninteresting. And I say that as a guy who enjoys a jog.

Yeah, agreed. Not bothered if you beat your personal best running 26 miles through streets.

3 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I agree and for some reason this post reminded me of a quote by Ambrose Bierce.

Success is the one unpardonable sin against our fellows.

All true of course - except our PL and FA Cup triumph. :D

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

I miss watching the Jeremy Kyle Show in the mornings (despite the current situation with a deceased ex-participant)..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c99zg4w15vxo

Very sad to read...not the fact that you are missing the Jeremy Kyle show, (although that is tragic too) - the plight of the former participant.  Why is it though 'Wold, that only you would know this? 

6 hours ago, brookfox said:

Guardiola has ruined football by convincing a generation of coaches to play unbelievably dull football.

U think you might be looking for the "definitley popular opinions you hold" thread :)

• Haha 2

The booked hourly slots at the gym weren't a bad thing and removed the folks that sit around examining their work-out notebooks and listening to music. You don't need to make notes on your work-out; it isn't a disco.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

The booked hourly slots at the gym weren't a bad thing and removed the folks that sit around examining their work-out notebooks and listening to music. You don't need to make notes on your work-out; it isn't a disco.

You make notes in a disco :P

• Haha 1

I’ll hide it away here: I’m completely meh about promotion, the prospect of playing in the Prem leaves me cold. 

On top of which, going up just continues the ownership of the club and the employment of the dickheads who work there - a financial crisis would’ve changed that. 

So, yey, promotion *makes sound with old clapper*