Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Dogs are better company than some humans are.

That's hardly unpopular.

I'd say that slugs Redback Spiders are better company than many humans are.

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Why?

lol 

No idea, it was about 7pm and having been at the cricket I'd be on it since 8.30am, something was kicking off and it looked like the place to be so we went in, didn't stay long as you can imagine. Grainy memory was we were given a very wide berth lol

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Think he's saying that when someone who is in their right mind is shot by the fuzz because they didn't follow instructions, it's justified.

I wont say that killing people is justified but if you are in top shape (physicaly and mentally) and an officer commands you to follow instruction, you should.

Edited by the fox

23 minutes ago, the fox said:

I wont say that killing people is justified but if you are in top shape (physicaly and mentally) and an officer commands you to follow instruction, you should.

You probably should, but given the corrupt nature of many cop depts I can understand some folks getting a bit shaky. 

6 minutes ago, the fox said:

I don't get the generalization that all abrahamic religions held science back.

A lot of the early scientific research was done by priests and Islamic scholars, yes. Usually, because they were the only ones who could record their studies.

I think the generalisation comes about because in the modern era that's not nearly as much a thing anymore and scientific findings main area of challenge seems to come from the Abrahamic religious fundies because it seemingly challenges their orthodoxy on "truth".

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Mars bars are best consumed by in the order: Chocolate, nougat, caramel.

I agree completely - or I sometimes use a teaspoon and hollow out the Mars Bar from underneath, leaving just the chocolate shell til last.

As an aside, my mum used to give me Mars Bar sandwiches for my school packed lunch - white bread, loads of butter and sliced Mars Bar...I imagine Social Services would have some kind of intervention process these days :D 

16 minutes ago, Milo said:

I agree completely - or I sometimes use a teaspoon and hollow out the Mars Bar from underneath, leaving just the chocolate shell til last.

As an aside, my mum used to give me Mars Bar sandwiches for my school packed lunch - white bread, loads of butter and sliced Mars Bar...I imagine Social Services would have some kind of intervention process these days :D 

And now you've moved onto to eating dog sandwiches like the one in your display picture?

Edited by Wookie

38 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

A lot of the early scientific research was done by priests and Islamic scholars, yes. Usually, because they were the only ones who could record their studies.

I think the generalisation comes about because in the modern era that's not nearly as much a thing anymore and scientific findings main area of challenge seems to come from the Abrahamic religious fundies because it seemingly challenges their orthodoxy on "truth".

Isn't that discrediting the positive efforts that those religious people put in? if i understand correctly, you're saying that those people only did the work/got the credit because they were the only guys with resources/permission.

I'm not a history buff but wasn't the really big profile conflict about the shape of the earth between the church and galileo (btw, it's not a problem for muslims because in the quran it says that Allah created earth in a spheroid shape and the sun/moon/earth have an orbit).

Believe me when i tell you that not all religions discourage science and learning or see it as a threat

Edited by the fox

12 minutes ago, the fox said:

Isn't that discrediting the positive efforts that those religious people put in? if i understand correctly, you're saying that those people only did the work/got the credit because they were the only guys with resources/permission.

I'm not a history buff but wasn't the really big profile conflict about the shape of the earth between the church and galileo (btw, it's not a problem for muslims because in the quran it says that Allah created earth in a spheroid shape and the sun/moon/earth have an orbit).

Believe me when i tell you that not all religions discourage science and learning or see it as a threat

Sorry for my lack of clarity there - was highlighting that those scholars were the only ones that could record their findings, not passing judgement on their discoveries (they did a lot of good science). The fact that they were the only ones able to do so isn't really here or there in terms of their competence.

The Church's beef with Galileo and Copernicus wasn't on account of the Earth's shape (Greek scholars and Islamic ones too figured it was round a couple thousand years before) but rather that the Earth wasn't at the centre of the Universe and that other planetary bodies had moons that orbited them too, which challenged the Ptolemic orthodoxy that the Church had relied upon for so long.

• Like 1

It's right that there's brave soldiers from this country who are fighting in Iraq against the so-called Islamic State.

If they were to be recalled by the government, the terror group will only grow again in that country etc at the expense of innocent civilians being killed.

I've previously stated that the unemployed should be required to work part-time in the community until they find jobs but realise since we are a caring nation that it is impossible to force them to do that - if they say "no, I'm not picking up litter" what can we do about it? We can't suspend their payments can we?

So my new proposal to clean up Britain's streets and beaches and forests etc... is to give prisoners the option of supervised day leave to clean these areas, if they say "no" then they can just stay in their cells. Maybe they'll profit from a day out and the dirty country can profit too.

15 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It's right that there's brave soldiers from this country who are fighting in Iraq against the so-called Islamic State.

If they were to be recalled by the government, the terror group will only grow again in that country etc at the expense of innocent civilians being killed.

like innocent people aren't dying right now! and it's not just in Iraq.

Wymes mate, it's not just a war, it's a business deal. The UK won't pull-out because when the dust settles and it's time to share the wealth , everyone will want a piece of the pie. It's too late to back down now.

The UK been there before ISIS. Tony Blair talked about how they are there to help the world take down saddam and i quote "disarm iraq of it's weapons of mass destruction". the same WMDs that were never found....... surprise surprise. 

All of the this started because of human look-alike, oil hungry ogors. they spilled the blood of many innocent people to gain money, sell their weapons and get all the oil and gas they want.

You can't just start (or at least help start) such a thing and just turn around and say "oopsy daisy, pack up lads we're leaving". Little kids died there! People who had nothing to do with anything lost their lifes! Blown up, shot like cattle and gassed to death! They made orphans, disabled human beings and grown people who can't write or read, for what? Some DAMN OIL!

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1