Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

30 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Trying to rack my brain and the only shows I can think of that Are still funny are Only fools and horses and blackadder. 

25 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Fawlty Towers still makes me PMSL

3 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Been re-watching some old he Good Life episodes recently and that was still great, minus the occasional casual 70s racism in the Good Life! Only Fools has of those too though. 

Still think 90s/early 2000s had some of the best comedies, Red Dwarf, Black Books, Ab-Fab, Vicar of Dibley. Could even argue that Peep Show creeps into the early 2000s bracket but that's clutching at straws a little. 

Also, I thought some of the episodes in the most recent series of Red Dwarf were back to form. 

Good discussion here.

I'd posit that most of the Monty Python stuff retains its charm even today, but yes - exceptions rather than the rule.

With US comedies it's even worse - Friends and Seinfeld both in particular have aged really, really poorly.

17 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Good discussion here.

I'd posit that most of the Monty Python stuff retains its charm even today, but yes - exceptions rather than the rule.

With US comedies it's even worse - Friends and Seinfeld both in particular have aged really, really poorly.

Absolutely right on Friends, as a 90s kid I was much in the fandom but watching it back now is something else.

Scrubs on the other hand remains fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Absolutely right on Friends, as a 90s kid I was much in the fandom but watching it back now is something else.

Scrubs on the other hand remains fantastic. 

Glad to hear that. Watched all of How I Met Your Mother again as my girlfriend hadn't seen it before and the newer episodes were the worst ones. I'm gonna rewatch Scrubs on Netflix I reckon, loved that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Early Doors is a great comedy that doesn’t get enough recognition. 

Only did 2 series but that’s why it’s probably so good as it didn’t try to carry on.

They're doing a live show in September.

11 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Early Doors is a great comedy that doesn’t get enough recognition. 

Only did 2 series but that’s why it’s probably so good as it didn’t try to carry on.

Early doors was brilliant. Genuinely funny as fvck from start to finish.

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Blackadder

Fawlty Towers

Father Ted

The Young Ones

Phoenix Nights

All still brilliant. 

I tried to show my kids The Young Ones to show them how brilliant it was. It hasn't aged well unfortunately.

More expensive or "butchers choice" sausages are shit. 

I buy Tesco plain cheapest sausages and they taste nice. No lumps of gristle or nobbly bits that the more expensive ones have in them. 

Cumberland are ok, but too peppery for my personal taste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

I buy Tesco plain cheapest sausages and they taste nice. No lumps of gristle or nobbly bits that the more expensive ones have in them. 

Buy some from a proper butchers. You'll thank me later.

• Like 2

On 28/03/2018 at 10:10, The Bear said:

Blackadder

Fawlty Towers

Father Ted

The Young Ones

Phoenix Nights

All still brilliant. 

Fawlty Towers is still my go to comedy. The absolute line that writers try to reach.

I like Blackadder a lot too.

Guest seanfox778
4 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Loved scrubs especially some of the minor characters - the janitor, todd and ted. The episode with ben was outstanding. Also thought elliot was so hot. 

I welled up at the twist, didn’t see that coming.

Just now, seanfox778 said:

I welled up at the twist, didn’t see that coming.

Yes I didn't see it coming but when you watch the episode again you realise how well written it was. Always think that the relationship between jd and doctor cox was similar to blackadder and baldrick. They detest them but also at the same time rely on them. 

Loved Scrubs. (last 2 seasons were not that great but James Franco's brother was funny). my favorite moments were when dr cox gives dj some encouraging wards and advises after acting like he hates him for the full day.

bob Kelso here almost brought me to tears

Edited by the fox

14 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I think it's clever when in a sitcom there's a character you don't see but are refered to them by the main cast. With scrubs it was kelsos wife, Frasier it was meris and dads army mainaring wife. You create an image of what they would look like. 

You know, it had never occurred to me how common that is (I'm now thinking Howard's mother in Big Bang Theory and 'Er indoors in Minder)

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Cheap sausages are dreadful. Only beaten to hell by cheap, water sodden, bacon

I think meat in general is a bit overrated, when it's cooked well its fantastic but more often than not it's average at best. The internet's fetishisation of bacon is an example of that "Bacon XD XD i love bacon ahaha XD randomz" no.