Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I still think we're going to finish top 8. Am I mad?

2 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

If that's his master plan then he's even more stupid than I though.

The possession game won't work for us and is limited in any case unless you've got the best players.

Clubs of our size trying to adopt a possession based game is pointless. Trying to pass through teams is the most difficult thing you can do.

I am not talking about playing like Barcelona. I am just talking about making one coherent pass to Vardy to launch a counter attack before losing the ball, which is what Ndidi and company are doing now. I think this can work, though we wont know until Silva and Iborra are playing. Give Shakey a chance. 

By the way, you shouldn't be defeatist about the "size" of your club. According to Forbes, Leicester are the 19th wealthiest club in the world. I live near Chicago and watch every week. It is a global brand now. 

image.png.60138cf86093d75e2b2f157478858174.png

Edited by Pete from the USA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

I am not talking about playing like Barcelona. I am just talking about making one coherent pass to Vardy to launch a counter attack before losing the ball, which is what Ndidi and company are doing now. I think this can work, though we wont know until Silva and Iborra are playing. Give Shakey a chance. 

By the way, you shouldn't be defeatist about the "size" of your club. According to Forbes, Leicester are the 19th wealthiest club in the world. I live near Chicago and watch every week. It is a global brand now. 

Exactly, we've got pots of dosh. Recently it's just not been spent wisely.

Col asks in another thread if I still think we'll finish 8th.

Read the OP. 1 point away to the non-top 6 is the rule and that's what we got. Which means Bournemouth lost 2. Of the others only Watford got a point away meaning Brom lose 2.

I'm still on the 8th place bandwagon - I would like Shakey to ditch his 2 wingers and go with a 3 man midfield though. Silva in after the international break hopefully.

I posted this in another topic thought I would post it here too... Still think we will finish in 8th place????

From BBC Website under the title "Bournemouth and Leicester's woes - the stats"

• Leicester City have earned just five points from seven games so far this season, their joint-lowest return at this stage of a Premier League campaign alongside 1994-95, 2001-02 and 2003-04.

In 94-95 we were relegated

21 Leicester City (R) 42 6 11 25 45 80 −35 29

In 2001-02 we were relegated

20 Leicester City (R) 38 5 13 20 30 64 −34 28

In 2003-04 we were relegated

18 Leicester City !Leicester City (R) 38 6 15 17 48 65 −17 33
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2017 at 16:18, Pete from the USA said:

Firstly, we might be number 19 on that list, but we're behind 7 other English teams including West Ham. So that suggests we can't financially compete with the top teams in England, which we knew anyway.

Secondly, coherent passes don't result in a possession based game. In fact, one of our biggest problems is we don't have options on the ball, I don't believe that Ndidi is a terrible passer.

We don't have options because we're implementing the wrong style. We are not pressing so we are picking up the ball too deep. This means we are trying to build from the back, slowly, and most of our players are marked up. This is why we are panicking and hitting it long. This is just a situation that is happening for the whole match.

We don't have the players to pass through teams from the back, we're certainly not going to have the players to do it against the top teams. Southampton are great example of a club that is achieving it's potential playing a possession based game, yet don't threaten to break into the top 4 because the top teams are playing that way as well, and are better at it. We broke the top 4 because we were playing differently to the top teams. And we played that way because it suited the better players we had.

Anyway, I digress slightly because this isn't about breaking the top 4. It's about playing the most effective style in this country with the players we have at our disposal. We will start to pass the ball better and create more chances if we start pressing high again and trying to attack teams. We will not be quite as good as 2 years ago because we don't have someone who protects the back 4 and allows us to win the ball regularly. And I'm not sure yet whether Silva will be an effective replacement for Drinkwater.

But regardless, it will still be better than the rubbish we're currently being served up. I'd rather concede goals trying to score them, because we will outscore a lot of weaker teams in this division, properly managed, and at least we'll be entertained. Yesterday was a total waste of my time, I wish I hadn't bothered watching it. There was no attempt by us to win the game at all.

It's not that we haven't got the right players, we can still attempt to play the right way and it will improve us. The most important issue is Shakespeare is approaching games all wrong, and that's why he has to go. Putting Iborra and Silva in the middle won't change that.

Edited by Kitchandro
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, hackenbacker said:

I posted this in another topic thought I would post it here too... Still think we will finish in 8th place????

From BBC Website under the title "Bournemouth and Leicester's woes - the stats"

• Leicester City have earned just five points from seven games so far this season, their joint-lowest return at this stage of a Premier League campaign alongside 1994-95, 2001-02 and 2003-04.

In 94-95 we were relegated

21 Leicester City (R) 42 6 11 25 45 80 −35 29

In 2001-02 we were relegated

20 Leicester City (R) 38 5 13 20 30 64 −34 28

In 2003-04 we were relegated

18 Leicester City !Leicester City (R) 38 6 15 17 48 65 −17 33

totally irrelevant. This doesn't take into account who and where we've played, nor the strength of teams/squads in the prem at the moment.

You can stick with the doom and gloom, I'll stay with a bit of optimism.

11 minutes ago, FIF said:

totally irrelevant. This doesn't take into account who and where we've played, nor the strength of teams/squads in the prem at the moment

Ah yes  ..... "lies, damn lies, and statistics"

It takes into account our current manager's tactic, the form of some of our senior players and my growing frustration!!!

I hope you are right but at the minute it does feel right to be talking about a top 8 finish

It's a very small sample but we've beaten every team outside the big 6 at home and drawn with every team outside the top 6 away. That was the basis of my stance before the season started. we do that we finish with over 50 points. Most of the non top 6 sides aren't doing that at the moment apart from Watford who are excelling - so at the moment can be considered top 7.

No offence FIF but this thread has always seemed a bit like an 'attention seeking' thread. For want of a better term.

Or do you really believe what you are saying?

If so, with how we are playing, what is your theory for us finishing top 8?

Is it all based on signing Silva?

Stats are a bit pointless - we proved that a couple of years ago, no?? Stats would have you believe the highest wage bill/highest squad cost/highest possession//blah blah blah will triumph. Plainly not true. 

Whatever the stats say or don't say, I'm currently going by what I'm seeing with my own eyes. And it's not pretty. 

Top 8 is a million miles away at the moment. IMO we are the second least creative team in the league and don't look to be doing much to make it better. 

#fearless and a team of maurading warriors has been replaced by a timid, skittery, disparate group of individual hoof merchants. 

Not pessimistic - just an honest view of what I'm seeing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Firstly, we might be number 19 on that list, but we're behind 7 other English teams including West Ham. So that suggests we can't financially compete with the top teams in England, which we knew anyway.

Secondly, coherent passes don't result in a possession based game. In fact, one of our biggest problems is we don't have options on the ball, I don't believe that Ndidi is a terrible passer.

We don't have options because we're implementing the wrong style. We are not pressing so we are picking up the ball too deep. This means we are trying to build from the back, slowly, and most of our players are marked up. This is why we are panicking and hitting it long. This is just a situation that is happening for the whole match.

We don't have the players to pass through teams from the back, we're certainly not going to have the players to do it against the top teams. Southampton are great example of a club that is achieving it's potential playing a possession based game, yet don't threaten to break into the top 4 because the top teams are playing that way as well, and are better at it. We broke the top 4 because we were playing differently to the top teams. And we played that way because it suited the better players we had.

Anyway, I digress slightly because this isn't about breaking the top 4. It's about playing the most effective style in this country with the players we have at our disposal. We will start to pass the ball better and create more chances if we start pressing high again and trying to attack teams. We will not be quite as good as 2 years ago because we don't have someone who protects the back 4 and allows us to win the ball regularly. And I'm not sure yet whether Silva will be an effective replacement for Drinkwater.

But regardless, it will still be better than the rubbish we're currently being served up. I'd rather concede goals trying to score them, because we will outscore a lot of weaker teams in this division, properly managed, and at least we'll be entertained. Yesterday was a total waste of my time, I wish I hadn't bothered watching it. There was no attempt by us to win the game at all.

It's not that we haven't got the right players, we can still attempt to play the right way and it will improve us. The most important issue is Shakespeare is approaching games all wrong, and that's why he has to go. Putting Iborra and Silva in the middle won't change that.

I read this carefully and am trying to understand how you think Leicester ought to be playing. Are you just saying they should press and win the ball higher up? They did that quite a bit against Bournemouth, but just passed the ball straight back to the opposition anyway. Vardy always has two players marking him, but somehow nobody else is open. I don't get it.

Ndidi has as many successful tackles this season as Ngolo Kante, so protecting the back four can't be the only problem.

According to the table I posted, strictly from the point of view of cash flow, Leicester ought to be finishing 8th, not 17th (ahead of Everton, Stoke, etc.). Most people would be happy with that.

5 hours ago, Milo said:

Stats are a bit pointless - we proved that a couple of years ago, no?? Stats would have you believe the highest wage bill/highest squad cost/highest possession//blah blah blah will triumph. Plainly not true. 

Whatever the stats say or don't say, I'm currently going by what I'm seeing with my own eyes. And it's not pretty. 

Top 8 is a million miles away at the moment. IMO we are the second least creative team in the league and don't look to be doing much to make it better. 

#fearless and a team of maurading warriors has been replaced by a timid, skittery, disparate group of individual hoof merchants. 

Not pessimistic - just an honest view of what I'm seeing. 

We couldnt have picked  8 worse matches to start  4 best teams in the country  and 3 bogey sides in Brighton Bournemouth and WBA  at home. We lost twice to Arsenal and Liverpool  admittedly away when we won the league and drew twice with Bournemouth  Brighton beat us twice when we won the championship and even Huddersfield got a shock  win here in the cup. We also didnt beat Man U either time winning the league so only difference is losing to Chelsea  and we shouldnt have lost that. The performance at Bournemouth was no worse than the draw at Villa also the year we won it.

6 minutes ago, foxaholic said:

We couldnt have picked  8 worse matches to start  4 best teams in the country  and 3 bogey sides in Brighton Bournemouth and WBA  at home. We lost twice to Arsenal and Liverpool  admittedly away when we won the league and drew twice with Bournemouth  Brighton beat us twice when we won the championship and even Huddersfield got a shock  win here in the cup. We also didnt beat Man U either time winning the league so only difference is losing to Chelsea  and we shouldnt have lost that. The performance at Bournemouth was no worse than the draw at Villa also the year we won it.

I suppose when we play abjectly against west brom and loose it will be because its played on this planet.

10 minutes ago, foxaholic said:

Nonsense.

Past results have no bearing on this season, and I don't accept the premise of a bogey side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foxaholic said:

Are you seriously trying to compare the football from Saturday with the way we played in the title-winning season?  We lost three games all season and never ever played as bad as we did on Saturday. The utter dross against Bournemouth cannot be defended on any level. And why would Brighton, Bournemouth and W.B.A be " bogey" teams?

Make no mistake unless the owners make a quick decision to relieve Shakespear of the burden of a job he's clearly not up to, then we are going to be so far behind that even a good quality manager may find it too hard to keep us up. The fact that both Bournemouth manager and fans were ruing the loss of all three points says it all. Lose at home to W.B.A  ( and I'm sure there is every chance of that ) and he is going.