Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I still think we're going to finish top 8. Am I mad?

I've read the doom and gloom throughout the boards this week and throughout the start to the season but from what I've seen I still think we're going to finish top 8.

What have I seen?

I've watched a fair few games and I've seen 3 very good teams and 3 good teams with flaws, then I've seen a lot of average teams and some very poor teams. Overall I've been impressed with Leicester - yes we only have 4 points from 5 games (relegation numbers) but we've actually looked good (a lot of the time) Arsenal, we should have beaten and our play was at least as good as theirs, Manure were better than us, but we put up a good show, Chelsea were better than us but not by as much as I'd expected. Brighton were well below us and Huddersfield out worked us in the first half (our most disappointing 45 of the season so far) but they were lucky to hold on in the second half (at least until we took Vardy off).

Our team. Kasper is solid to good, top 8 team keeper. Fuchs has played much better than I predicted and simpson is his consistent self ( I'd like an upgrade and think we need it  - hello Sagne - but he's good enough as a weak link in the team). Maguire has been exceptional (even if he does occassionally get beaten), he's young and progressing. Wes has done better than I expected but clearly Huth is the man to play alongside Maguire to handle the bullies like Depoitre. Ndidi is looking good but he's young will make the odd mistake whilst he continues to learn. James started the season well but we were exposed yesterday when King had to replace him, we really missed the one touch king danny drinkwater but hopefully Iborra and Silva can strengthen our midfield or we can move to a central 3. Albrighton started great on the wing but he has disappeared in the last 2 games  - not sure why - Mahrez has looked great and average but the fact we have him until at least January reinforces my belief that we can do well. Vardy has been spectacular, great effort and goals - the easy tap in yesterday and we'd be laughing. Okazaki was stupendous in the first 2 games but he really shouldn't be our level for starter. Iheanacho looks the real thing and if he can stay fit he can build a great partnership with Vards.

To make 8th we probably need fifty something points. We can do that. Ignore the top 6. Home wins against everyone else (39pts) draws away against everyone else (13pts). What we don't make from that we pick up at home against the top 6. 8th place. Job Done.

Am I crazy?

I certainly think on paper we have the 8th best squad in the league. Easily top 10. 

We're not playing like it though, so something needs to change pretty rapidly. Not calling for the managers head, but he needs to make some bold decisions. 

Edited by sdb

I'd back us to be flat track bullies at home and beat a lot of the teams we should. We do, however, have to show more intent on the road than yesterday if we're going to get anywhere near top 8. If our home form is good we'd need 6/7 wins on the road as well.

• Like 2

I think there's about 8 teams that you could throw in the air and see how they fall and we're one of them. I don't believe it's beyond the realms of possibility to finish 8th but I don't think the probabilities much greater than us finishing 15th either. I'd like to think there are 10 teams or so worse than us but I'm really lacking evidence to back that up.

Gap between 8th and 7th was huge last season and it was very close down to about 14th. You don't need an immaculate record to finish 8th. I think we're more than capable and nothing I've seen has changed that opinion.

Probably likely to be competing with Stoke, WBA and Soton for it. Stoke lost to Newcastle yesterday, WBA lost to Brighton, and Soton have dropped points against Swansea and Huddersfield. These results happen. 

Remembering some of the dog shite performances at the start of last season (getting stuffed by 3 /4 goals per game every week) but still finishing the season strongly I would say the optimism is not misplaced . 

We look pretty well organised defensively and I think the goals will come before too long 

• Like 1

I'd agree with 8th were it not for the Drinky / Silva debacle, that second midfielder slot be it James, Iborra or somehow Silva is still a big question mark, I'll feel a lot better if and when it settles down. James was plenty good enough to see off a poor Brighton side, I'd like to see him against some mid table sides now to get a fully rounded idea of his current level. Losing Drinky without getting his replacement could mean a 4-5 place drop and if and when injuries crop up despite investing in Iborra, Mendy and Silva we're  back to fielding Kingy bless him. Ignore the table until 10 or 12 games have passed, as you say some of the signs have been very good despite the results.

Would love that to happen but can't see it with the current set up. 

Going forward we are good and at the back we are strong. 

The middle is a complete mess. Sure we have ibora and silva but who is to say they will adapt to premier league life. It's going to take weeks if not months to get them fully fit and adjusted which means King and or james each week. Having either or both of those start is an instant disadvantage whether you are craig Shakespeare or Alex fergerson

Edited by m4DD0gg

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Remembering some of the dog shite performances at the start of last season (getting stuffed by 3 /4 goals per game every week) but still finishing the season strongly I would say the optimism is not misplaced . 

We look pretty well organised defensively and I think the goals will come before too long 

We look a much better side than last season . So 8 th is very possible ?

We've had one home game where you'd expect us to win, there's about 14 more of those and obviously we have to improve away from home which we probably will a bit.

Against two non title contenders we've got 4 points in 2 games which is about right. Performances haven't been great but we've struggled with injuries so it's not fair to be too pessimistic just yet. After 10 games we'll definitely know.

I like your optimism however I think the longer we persist with Shakespeare the more the players will return to the sort of form that saw us in the mire last year, honeymoon is most definitely over and I really dont believe that Shakespeare has much vision, without that players cant adapt or adopt it.