Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
vanity

Do we need to consider replacing Maguire?

Well....people are getting all offended by this thread but some of his defending hasn't exactly been great. He HAS cost us goals, of that there is no question. Liverpool, Huddersfield, Arsenal (for the 4th and partially the 3rd).

I don't really care what he's like going forward if he is at fault for goals. I think the jury's out tbh. He's got potential but he needs to cut these errors out and quickly.

I do totally accept the argument that the back 4 is woefully protected though. It's unbelievable how teams are just waltzing through the middle, we have Rudkin and Shakey to thank for that.

I just can't wrap my head aournd the fact that the most talented players, the players who actually dare to try something, are systematically torn apart while the bang average ones fly steadily under the radar.

You'll cry next year when Liverpool or ManCity will come for him.

On 23/09/2017 at 21:58, vanity said:

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend he hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season with his careless play. Not sure how many, though four come to mind, today and vs. Huddersfield. Just seems to struggle keeping his concentration, and it is costing us results. Does foolish things, like fighting in the box in the 90th minute, he knows the refs are watching, so he immediately fouls on the kick. Lad needs a bit more common sense out there, and he needs to be mindful of wtf he is doing with the ball, and where he is on the field.

I also remember some poor defense at times at Arsenal, though that may have been more on Wes being a bit slow that first game back. 

Dragovic seemed very solid when he played, and he gives us a weapon with his leg, he's an excellent passed. Do we need to start thinking about giving him a try over Maguire? Shame Iborra wasn't in today, he'd have slid over to fill the gap, guaranteed.

Replace our best player??

4 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

Well....people are getting all offended by this thread but some of his defending hasn't exactly been great. He HAS cost us goals, of that there is no question. Liverpool, Huddersfield, Arsenal (for the 4th and partially the 3rd).

I don't really care what he's like going forward if he is at fault for goals. I think the jury's out tbh. He's got potential but he needs to cut these errors out and quickly.

I do totally accept the argument that the back 4 is woefully protected though. It's unbelievable how teams are just waltzing through the middle, we have Rudkin and Shakey to thank for that.

Yeah but his defending has been dog awful and his work rate when he makes mistakes is evident just look at the 3rd goal for Liverpool he gets back to aid the defence, where as ndidi who has a 15 yard head start only made I back as far as the top of the box he's also been an asset at set pieces.

2 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

I just can't wrap my head aournd the fact that the most talented players, the players who actually dare to try something, are systematically torn apart while the bang average ones fly steadily under the radar.

On this one we are in agreement.

Whatever next! 

1 hour ago, MrSpaM said:

Wtf even is this topic

He's probably our best player

He's not our best player, that's ridiculous, Vardy is our best player at the minute by some distance. I have no idea why people get so wound up so quickly either way, he's had a handful of games for us, we don't know yet if he's going to be a solid first teamer or if he'll end up being dropped.

People who make judgments about players being amazing after 5 matches are no better than those who write players off after 5 matches, two cheeks of the same arse, For what's worth I think he's had a promising start, but proclaiming him surplus to requirements or our centre back for the next five years is stupid based on a handful of games.

Point I made pre season - Hull were definitely relegated with McGuire at the centre of their defence shipping a load of goals so we needed to be wary.

Give me Huth all day long staggered he is still not fit .Experienced solid and pops in the few goals.

Saturday McGuire gave it away 75% of the way up the pitch In open play -no no and no again should not have happened but it did .Schoolboy error.

He may have almost got back but not surprising since he was at fault.

4 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

It's typical English.

We've spoken about great defenders that were technically good (Beckenbaur the greatest of them all and look how much of a complete footballer he was) but in England we don't encourage it.

People are so content with "hardworking players". Albrighton is the greatest example, this season hasn't been good enough to warrant a starting place in the team yet whenever I / anybody else does criticise him the response is "yeah but he works hard". So that's it, with that attitude we're not going to develop technically and even attract better footballers. 

Mahrez gets so much stick - I thought he was okay against Liverpool, certainly not worse than the rest of them - but he's the only player we've got in the starting 11 that is willing to get the ball down and have a go. I know Gray makes poor decisions but at least he gets the ball down and runs at opposition and personally I like to see that. I like to see Maguire (or any defender) bring the ball out of defence (as long as someone fills in there shouldn't be a problem). 

11 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Point I made pre season - Hull were definitely relegated with McGuire at the centre of their defence shipping a load of goals so we needed to be wary.

Give me Huth all day long staggered he is still not fit .Experienced solid and pops in the few goals.

Saturday McGuire gave it away 75% of the way up the pitch In open play -no no and no again should not have happened but it did .Schoolboy error.

He may have almost got back but not surprising since he was at fault.

Hull were relegated with Maguire. So what? I can roll off player after player to suffer relegation with other clubs. Defoe was relegated with West Ham who scored 42 goals that season (Defoe scored just 11 goals), yet he's been one of the Premier League's most prolific forward.

The third goal on Saturday. Maguire losing the ball shouldn't be the issue. He comes out with the ball, N'Didi should fill in. Simple. Instead, we've got Maguire playing a one two with N'Didi and that's the problem.

The bigger issue is the midfield. We haven't got a central midfielder who will pick the ball up and run at opposition. Why does King not do this? He's got 50+ goals for us. Run, play it forward, drive... Yes I know he played the through ball for a penalty but consistently he is more concerned with playing the ball safe - which is backwards and sideways. Drinkwater would pick the ball up, look forward and pass forward. We haven't got that now. Instead we're seeing the defence give it midfield just for the midfield to give it back to the defence. No wonder Maguire, and even Morgan on Saturday, end up coming out with the ball looking to create something. They are probably as bored stiff as me in the stands.

If you want Huth then so be it. But as @ZeGuy said (and I totally agree), it's the players that actually try and create something that get criticised whether it be Maguire, Mahrez or Gray... It's typical English football to prefer safety and hard work over players that actually want to play football.

Get the ball down, drive, run at the defence, shoot from long range.... that's what I want to see. Aside from Mahrez and Gray, in our poor midfield, nobody else does it.

Fair comments all round but he was 3/4 up the pitch committed going forward .Ndidi passed sideways not looking to McGuire another City player was about to pick it up but he put a foot on it and lost it to a Pool player.

From then they should score and did..Both players stranded well upfield..

Jury is out he is a decent player but that was IMO reckless

I think it is the word "Replace" that makes this thread so ridiculous, lets replace the word "replace":

Do we need to consider supporting Maguire?

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend it hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season with players not helping to fill the hole.

We know that Maguire likes to bring the ball out, and at times he does it better than our midfielders, so we should use that as a strength and not turn it into a weakness, either get an extra CB in there (3 at the back) or get the midfield/full backs to be more aware of the game situation and not leave a big hole at the back. Also don't play a shitty pass and give the ball away in the middle of the park if we are pushing forwards looking for a goal.

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I think it is the word "Replace" that makes this thread so ridiculous, lets replace the word "replace":

Do we need to consider supporting Maguire?

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend it hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season with players not helping to fill the hole.

We know that Maguire likes to bring the ball out, and at times he does it better than our midfielders, so we should use that as a strength and not turn it into a weakness, either get an extra CB in there (3 at the back) or get the midfield/full backs to be more aware of the game situation and not leave a big hole at the back. Also don't play a shitty pass and give the ball away in the middle of the park if we are pushing forwards looking for a goal.

Great point my friend

1 minute ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Great point my friend

Thank you,

You could also replace "replacing" with "coaching"

Do we need to consider coaching Maguire?

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend it hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season. Maybe we need to focus on coaching him on when to make those runs and how to not get caught out.

The talk of replacing a young talented new signing (whose just been called up to the England squad) because he makes some mistakes trying to influence the game is everything that is wrong with modern fans.

14 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Thank you,

You could also replace "replacing" with "coaching"

Do we need to consider coaching Maguire?

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend it hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season. Maybe we need to focus on coaching him on when to make those runs and how to not get caught out.

The talk of replacing a young talented new signing (whose just been called up to the England squad) because he makes some mistakes trying to influence the game is everything that is wrong with modern fans.

Just a thought but could you see maguire playing in more of a midfield role than at centre back, we have seen him get foward on many occasions, maybe a silly idea but could it work. 

Just now, Johnthefoxrayner said:

Just a thought but could you see maguire playing in more of a midfield role than at centre back, we have seen him get foward on many occasions, maybe a silly idea but could it work. 

I could see him as a "libero" in a back 3, he carries the ball out and links up with the midfield, whilst Morgan and Dragovic plug the gaps. One thing we struggle with is patient build up and having someone comfortable on the ball at the back is important for patient build up. If we want to progress we need to find another way of playing other than hit the ball forwards to Vardy/Mahrez quickly and bomb on.

13 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I could see him as a "libero" in a back 3, he carries the ball out and links up with the midfield, whilst Morgan and Dragovic plug the gaps. One thing we struggle with is patient build up and having someone comfortable on the ball at the back is important for patient build up. If we want to progress we need to find another way of playing other than hit the ball forwards to Vardy/Mahrez quickly and bomb on.

Agreed 

I'd be concerned about the goal against Huddersfield where he allowed an extremely average and slow centre forward to outmuscle and outpace him. 

The goal against Liverpool it was bloody awful pass by N'Didi and it occur due to the lack of off the ball movement in front of him. 

Archived