Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
vanity

Do we need to consider replacing Maguire?

24 minutes ago, Bert said:

Yes he was. What positive effect did he have on the game? He brought the ball out a few times and one of those times lead to the winning goal. As a defender he's not doing the basics. Morgan is playing better than him at the minute. 

Outmuscled players several times, lots of neat headers back to his keeper, won loads of headers, assist for the first goal. He's a fantastic player. Wes also playing well. These pair are far from the problem at the minute. 

Ps, should we take your centre half critiques seriously after you tweeted in April that Yohan Benalouane was the best centre half at the club? ?

11 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

Outmuscled players several times, lots of neat headers back to his keeper, won loads of headers, assist for the first goal. He's a fantastic player. Wes also playing well. These pair are far from the problem at the minute. 

Ps, should we take your centre half critiques seriously after you tweeted in April that Yohan Benalouane was the best centre half at the club? ?

At the time he was, he was playing better than any centre half. But hey ho, there you go. Shock horror you're doing everything you can to protect a shakey signing. And no surprise you're still trying to slate every ranieiri signing lol 

17 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

It’s our midfield that needs replacing. Both Maguire and Morgan came out with the ball yesterday because nobody in central midfield does it. 

But we can't replace our midfield until January which is half the point.

We have to play with the defence which gives us the mist protection given our midfield frailty right now and whether we would be better off tactically for the time being playing with centre backs who always stay back is a perfectly valid question tbf.

I'm not saying Maguire should be dropped or that he's even been poor individually. But it's not about individual performances it's about finding the best defence tactically given our current lack if midfield options and I think it's perfectly viable as to whether an "attacking centre-back' like Maguire is really suiting us atm given our midfield problems.

I remember when Sol Bamba came and everyone loved him. It was only when the stats started circulating that we conceded a lot more goals with him in the team that people began to realise he wasn't good for us and regardless of how good he looked he made our defence a lot less solid. I'm not comparing Maguire to Bamba in terms of ability for one second, I'm just using it as an example as to how a defender can be playing well but not neceserially actually leading to having a more solid defence.

Again, I'm not saying he should be replaced and i do think he's looked largely good this season (although gone lff a bit the past cpuple of games) but I'm certainly open to the possibility we might actually be more defensively sound with someone else there.

12 minutes ago, Bert said:

At the time he was, he was playing better than any centre half. But hey ho, there you go. Shock horror you're doing everything you can to protect a shakey signing. And no surprise you're still trying to slate every ranieiri signing lol 

Maguire is fantastic- Shakey signing. 

Iheanacho I'm not sure on at all. Can't see how he fits in but willing to give him time- Shakey signing 

Demarai Gray I've been banging on about since last season. He's an absolute star of the future and we need to play him- Ranieri signing

Ahmed Musa- one of the worst players I've ever seen play for us- Ranieri signing 

In summary, I judge players on what I see, not who signed them. 

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

But we can't replace our midfield until January which is half the point.

We have to play with the defence whuch gives us the mist protection given our midfield frailty right now and whether we would be better off tactically for the time being playing with centre backs who always stay back is a perfectly valid question tbf.

I'm not saying Maguire should be dropped or that he's even been poor individually. But it's not about individual performances it's about finding the best defence tactically given our current lack if midfield options and I think it's perfectly viable as to whether an "attacking centre-back' like Maguire is really suiting us atm given our midfield problems.

I remember when Sol Bamba came and everyone loved him. It was only when the stats started circulating that we conceded a lot more goals with him in the team that people began to realise he wasn't good for us and regardless of how good he looked he made our defence a lot less solid. I'm not comparing Maguire to Bamba in terms of ability for one second, I'm just using it as an example as to how a defender can be playing well but not neceserially actually leading to having a more solid defence.

I'm all for players running with the ball, yes even centre backs. The best centre backs ever were usually good on the ball but it works because they are with clever players too - if Maguire comes out with the ball then N'Didi should sit in for him. It's not difficult. I don't know what our players get coached in training because even simple things like this we don't seem to do. Yet, Maguire came out with the ball yesterday and ends up playing a one two with N'Didi which leads to Henderson's goal. N'Didi should have been sat in for Maguire.

N'Didi and King are too much of the same player. They both go constantly sideways. I sort of get it for N'Didi because he's defensive-minded (or should be) but Andy King, for someone with all those goals at the club, should be looking forward. Pick the ball up and drive, yet he doesn't do it. It's always safety first with him, slow the game down. go backwards. I said when we sold Drinkwater he's the only midfielder we've got that looks forward and it's true. Not only would he drive with the ball but he was capable of those first time balls looking for Vardy... Which is probably why even Morgan came out with the ball yesterday. They're probably as pissed off as us that our midfield are incable of driving forwards.

14 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I'm all for players running with the ball, yes even centre backs. The best centre backs ever were usually good on the ball but it works because they are with clever players too - if Maguire comes out with the ball then N'Didi should sit in for him. It's not difficult. I don't know what our players get coached in training because even simple things like this we don't seem to do. Yet, Maguire came out with the ball yesterday and ends up playing a one two with N'Didi which leads to Henderson's goal. N'Didi should have been sat in for Maguire.

N'Didi and King are too much of the same player. They both go constantly sideways. I sort of get it for N'Didi because he's defensive-minded (or should be) but Andy King, for someone with all those goals at the club, should be looking forward. Pick the ball up and drive, yet he doesn't do it. It's always safety first with him, slow the game down. go backwards. I said when we sold Drinkwater he's the only midfielder we've got that looks forward and it's true. Not only would he drive with the ball but he was capable of those first time balls looking for Vardy... Which is probably why even Morgan came out with the ball yesterday. They're probably as pissed off as us that our midfield are incable of driving forwards.

I'm not disagreeing with you about our midfield at all, but the point is if they arent strong or intellegent enough to cover then we have to consider putting in defenders who are much more likely to stay back at all time. But it doesnt matter tge reasons why really - you have to build the tactics that are best for all facets of your side, not just put the best players in.

The 3rd goal yesterday was definitely an example of where Maguire went on a forward run out of nothing and our midfield either weren't reactive enough to cover or weren't prepared for Maguire' s unpredictability - but the reasoning doesn't matter, only whether the tactics work does.

From what I recall (may be wrong) Morgan went on one run forward laid it off to a midfielder when we was in space then went back to defence. He didn't go for the one-two and carry on going well into opposirion territory as Maguire tends to.

Again, I'm not suggesting the midfield aren't poor or Maguire hasn't looked generally good so far. But I don't think the OP should be slated for possibly questioning whether Morgan and Dragovic for example might make us more solid defensively atm given our midfoeld (which we have little option to change the personel with given how we didn't replace Drinkwater) and given how our main problem is how much we're leaking goals.

I'd be interested to see Hull's goals conceded tally with him and without him in the side last season tbh. Given he won their POTY but they had one of the worst defensive records in PL history and went down because of it, I do wonder if that kind of problem was an issue there  (maybe not but definitely worth seeing the stats).

38 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Excellent post.

It's a team game. There may be an argument for Maguire to curb his forward runs but when he does advance his team 

mates should be able to cover. The problem is with the midfield, that has been there since promotion except for the champions season with the exceptional N'G. 

Still trying to think of a CB who is known for their dribbling skills, still can't think of one. Maybe all this 'future England captain' was a touch premature, and really not helpful to the lad. I don't care how good a defender you are, it takes time to settle in and get used to your team-mates.

Suggesting that we might have seen enough to replace him is just clickbait really. If the comedy of errors had been raised in a less dramatic way, we might actually had a little less heat and a little more light on this thread.

I bet the banter within the squad about it will be pretty funny tho, oh to be a fly on the wall. 

6 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Still trying to think of a CB who is known for their dribbling skills, still can't think of one. Maybe all this 'future England captain' was a touch premature, and really not helpful to the lad. I don't care how good a defender you are, it takes time to settle in and get used to your team-mates.

Suggesting that we might have seen enough to replace him is just clickbait really. If the comedy of errors had been raised in a less dramatic way, we might actually had a little less heat and a little more light on this thread.

I bet the banter within the squad about it will be pretty funny tho, oh to be a fly on the wall. 

Beckenbauer , Cannavaro, Lucio, Koeman....... the greatest defenders were excellent on the ball too.

As many have said I think 3 at the back could be the way forward for us. With 2 of Wes/Huth/Dragovic covering it would allow him more freedom to be creative. 

It would also allow Chillwell the same and attacking appears to be his strong point. 

Personally really rate Albrighton as a wing back as well. 

Just now, waylander said:

And in the future Harry Maguire :ph34r:

I rate him highly and am more than ready to forgive some of his mistakes. Mistakes he's bound to make with this constant pressure due to a weak midfield.

Some people don't realize how lucky we are to have him and even luckier if we keep him next summer.

For me he looks poor. As does a lot of our defence. 

The fact he puts his foot on the ball and tries to run and pass does not make him our best player. We are very clearly missing Huth.

Its easy to think a defender is your best player when you're spending 70% on average of each game on the back foot. Immature and it shows.

Archived