Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
vanity

Do we need to consider replacing Maguire?

2 hours ago, vanity said:

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend he hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season with his careless play. Not sure how many, though four come to mind, today and vs. Huddersfield. Just seems to struggle keeping his concentration, and it is costing us results. Does foolish things, like fighting in the box in the 90th minute, he knows the refs are watching, so he immediately fouls on the kick. Lad needs a bit more common sense out there, and he needs to be mindful of wtf he is doing with the ball, and where he is on the field.

I also remember some poor defense at times at Arsenal, though that may have been more on Wes being a bit slow that first game back. 

Dragovic seemed very solid when he played, and he gives us a weapon with his leg, he's an excellent passed. Do we need to start thinking about giving him a try over Maguire? Shame Iborra wasn't in today, he'd have slid over to fill the gap, guaranteed.

Ha ha ha

We’re making him out to be better than he is, he has a hell of a lot to learn and after todays showing I’d rather see Huth back in, or get Dragovic in who is better than all of them on his day. It’s alright saying he needs someone to pass to, but our style won’t change over night, and until we can accommodate this he must either stop acting the goat and just defend, or take a step back for a while... he’s been at fault for a couple of goals this season, and very avoidable ones too. 

Where his little mazy runs runs look impressive, him gifting the opposition the ball isnt. At this stage not impressed with his defending at all at times.

The others aren't on Maguire's level. Don't blame him for trying to run with the ball when there is nothing on for him so often.

He did **** up for the third though - mind you at least you can say he tried to recover it which is more than can be said for some others.

I think he's great. Drives forward and beats more player's than our CM pairing! Probably feels he has to, just to get a decent move going. 

I've been impressed with Morgan too recently, on the defensive side anyway, as he is never going to do much more than a short pass or hoof going forward.

We are crying out for a CM with quality on the ball, to pick the ball up from the back 4. That will probably prevent Maguire from trying to do it himself most times!

Keep him in there and lets see him paired up with Dragovic when next possible, as be great to have a couple of ball playing CB's for a change. 

He's been our best player so far this season and I've no doubt he'll be our future captain. He sometimes tries to play too much but personally I'd rather he did that & learn from any mistakes which will make him a better player and us a better team. Rio Ferdinand said after the game that he made similar mistakes at that age but quickly learned. I've no doubt Harry will do the same. It's refreshing to see one of our centre backs trying to play football rather than hoofing it aimlessly into the channels.

To be fair to him today also for their 3rd goal he wasn't trying to over play it he just didn't realise the pass from Wilf was mean't for Albrighton rather than him.

Fvck no.

I can't even believe you made this thread. You belong to the ones I read avidly even if I don't always agree with you. Granted he kinda gave away the ball dangerously today, he's head and shoulders about say 90% of the team when it comes to regularity, performance, comfort on the ball and nowhere near of being replaced. We owe him to not be defensively steam rolled every single effing game and he's one of the rare ones to treat the ball well.. like a ball.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that our best players are constantly singled out and bashed while the most anonymous ones get away with murder.

We were shit today, I don't give a damn about the two lucky goals we somehow got and it has obviously has something to do with the fact that we go 4-4-2 with a subpar midfield.

Now I have got over the shock of actually seeing a ball playing CB at the club, I think it is worth considering telling him to calm it down a bit. He isn't Beckenbauer standard quite yet.

It is fair enough striding forward into midfield, it opens things up for us, but trying to beat 3 men every time you do is just asking for trouble. I'm prepared for him to cost the odd goal for the extra he gives us with his passing, but watching him dribble into trouble like that is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not calling him crap or anything, he is clearly a good player, and a CB who can really pass is great step forward for us.

Great thread!.let's hammer and get rid of our best player so far....we are turning into Arsenal fans fam..you get me blood...now I know why I don't waste so much time on foxestalk....always good for a laugh though!!!

Really is typical foxes talk this. I've seen it so many times over the years. No-one is suggesting that Harry is no good. They are simply stating the fact that we have the second worst defence in the division, for goals conceded so far, and are suggesting that Maguire isn't as brilliant as initially thought. 

............And are getting slated for even considering dropping him and seeing whether we improve in this respect.

i believe the main issue is the midfield. But nobody should be undroppable in any team. It may be that a ball-playing center back actually isn't what we need at present. Perhaps just a good old fashioned ball-winner could be favourable? God knows how much stick John Stones gets on here. Well yesterday, Maguire was trying to do the same.

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Really is typical foxes talk this. I've seen it so many times over the years. No-one is suggesting that Harry is no good. They are simply stating the fact that we have the second worst defence in the division, for goals conceded so far, and are suggesting that Maguire isn't as brilliant as initially thought. 

............And are getting slated for even considering dropping him and seeing whether we improve in this respect.

i believe the main issue is the midfield. But nobody should be undroppable in any team. It may be that a ball-playing center back actually isn't what we need at present. Perhaps just a good old fashioned ball-winner could be favourable? God knows how much stick John Stones gets on here. Well yesterday, Maguire was trying to do the same.

They will be blaming Andy King for his errors soon.

If all the threads I expected to see this is by far the last one...by a country mile our signing of the last few seasons. Some excellent play yesterday, carried the ball forward instead of hoofing it. Made one mistake and he should be dropped...if anyone needs looking at its Ndidi - jogged back whilst 4 Liverpool players went forward at pace. Watch the reply at least Harry is busting a gut to get back!

I think the original post is a brave one here. After reading it, I symbolically sat behind the sofa to read the comments.

I think his passion, commitment and quality are immense, but he is frustrated by the lack of creativity in the centre of midfield, and he wants to make things happen. On occasions he has overdone it and paid the price. 

With more quality in front of him he will be superb. 

And to be fair to him he was suffering from a virus at Huddersfield and did look off the pace at times.

I'd rather have him in the team giving it his all, than not. He represents that die for the team and fans attitude that has been lacking a bit elsewhere on the pitch recently. 

He is decent and shows a lot of promise. Still Giroud outmuscles him for the winner in the Arsenal game, Depoitre ran around him for the Huddersfield goal and yesterday he loses the ball in the middle of the Liverpool half leading to their 3-1 goal. He is definitely not flawless, but is probably not helped by a team, that looks like lacking quite a bit of confidence.

15 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

He is decent and shows a lot of promise. Still Giroud outmuscles him for the winner in the Arsenal game, Depoitre ran around him for the Huddersfield goal and yesterday he loses the ball in the middle of the Liverpool half leading to their 3-1 goal. He is definitely not flawless, but is probably not helped by a team, that looks like lacking quite a bit of confidence.

A far more balanced post. Well done.

50 minutes ago, Dickov22 said:

He wasn't poor against Chelsea and he wasn't poor yesterday. 

Yes he was. What positive effect did he have on the game? He brought the ball out a few times and one of those times lead to the winning goal. As a defender he's not doing the basics. Morgan is playing better than him at the minute. 

Archived