Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
vanity

Do we need to consider replacing Maguire?

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You see the two don't tally. We can't say that Maguire is immense etc, whilst looking at the 'goals against' column.

Something must be wrong. The second most goals conceded in the league (I assume Palace must be the worst)?

That said, we have gone back to the bad old days of having a Mickey Mouse midfield in front of our back four, providing not much of a shield at all. 

That, and we've played 4 of the most potent attacking teams in the league so far.

3 minutes ago, Gary Eatfood said:

Should we replace Kasper too then? Vardy for missing the pen?

It is about being overly reliant on a player who is not yet mentally where he needs to be. He is young and needs to continue improving. His concentration is poor, and similar to Chilwell, when he makes mistakes, they are COSTLY mistakes. I have thoroughly enjoyed his play, but we don't lose at Huddersfield with a healthy Huth playing his spot. Liverpool doesn't get that 4 on 2 break if he isn't so careless. Let's not pretend it is unreasonable to replace players and let them watch a couple games from the bench to chew over the errors they are making. 

BC he is making serious mistakes, and if you don't see that, IDK what you are watching.

17 minutes ago, Daz93 said:

lol wtf this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Why is this an unreasonable question? You don't think he is making costly mistakes that have cost us points? You think he is far superior to Dragovic and a healthy Huth? What is it?

It's pointless blaming individual players someone higher up in the club need to take the blame for the inability to sign the right players since winning the title,  we seem to have gone backwards big time, we spent almost 70 million on strikers and we have a defence that is all over the place and we bought one defender and one on the loan, we  screwed in midfield when you having to start with King, we seem to have lost the plot and until we see major changes survival seem to be the game we playing. Season in season out and I doubt we'll see European football in the near future, championship football is more likely the way things are going. 

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Does that mean Kaspers crap as well then Col ? ...    Stats don't lie ...

I think Kasper has made some errors too so far this season. The point I'm making is to have conceded the number of goals we have, is far from 'great', 'solid' or whatever you want to call it. 

Our defence is leaky, to say the least. But again, I don't think having our wafer thin midfield helps at all.

2 minutes ago, vanity said:

Why is this an unreasonable question? You don't think he is making costly mistakes that have cost us points? You think he is far superior to Dragovic and a healthy Huth? What is it?

Because he's been one of the best things about us so far this season?

He brings the ball out of defence because he has **** all options other than going sideways to Morgan, who is just going to hoof it down the pitch. We were crying out for that last season. Yes he is going to make mistakes - get better people in midfield offering the pass and he won't make those mistakes.

You cannot honestly tell me that after playing the difficult fixtures we've had you want to drop him. 

Tell you what, go back a few seasons and watch a video of five at the back with Bruno N'Gotty and see if you fancy that again. Oh wait, you don't know about those days.

As someone has mentioned already it's all about the shit midfield unfortunately. He's having to carry the ball out because the midfield won't or can't come short for the ball. Another thing is you need a midfielder to drop in if he does come out with the ball,  n'didi could do it if he had a better midfielder along side instead of doing the job of two players.

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think Kasper has made some errors too so far this season. The point I'm making is to have conceded the number of goals we have, is far from 'great', 'solid' or whatever you want to call it. 

Our defence is leaky, to say the least. But again, I don't think having our wafer thin midfield helps at all.

The midfield is clearly the main problem Col I agree

we can't have only 2 in midfield unless 1 is world class, clearly we haven't got that

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

You see the two don't tally. We can't say that Maguire is immense etc, whilst looking at the 'goals against' column.

Something must be wrong. The second most goals conceded in the league (I assume Palace must be the worst)?

That said, we have gone back to the bad old days of having a Mickey Mouse midfield in front of our back four, providing not much of a shield at all. 

chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, manchester united.

He's had a largely good season so far.

But I do agree, I think he has been overrated a bit so far but it's not neceserially about scapegoating him or saying his poor so much as to whether he suits the rest of our players  - and to anyone saying "he gets no cover from midfield" - while that may be the case; we can't change who we've got in midfield so we have to just work with what we've got and maybe what we've got just doesn't suit having anything but a centre back who'll stay back at all times.

I think it's a perfectly valid question tbf and not about whether Maguire is any good or not as an individual but whether we can afford to play him tactically given the midfield options we have.

And you can't look at Hull having one of the worst defensive records in PL history last season and our own dire record this season and just turn a blind eye to that. It's not neceserially his fault but I do.wonder if his team mates don't find him a bit unpredictable and so don't know when to cover him and when to not or.elsr we dont have rhe.midfielders who.can spot it (the reasoning doesn't matter if it's tactically inefficient) - it definitely seemed like it was that way with Liverpool's 3rd where his surging run came from nowhere and then he lost the ball. That might come with tome and our team get to know him better though or it might just be that neither us or Hull had the players to support that kind of marauding centre back.

41 minutes ago, vanity said:

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend he hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season with his careless play. Not sure how many, though four come to mind, today and vs. Huddersfield. Just seems to struggle keeping his concentration, and it is costing us results. Does foolish things, like fighting in the box in the 90th minute, he knows the refs are watching, so he immediately fouls on the kick. Lad needs a bit more common sense out there, and he needs to be mindful of wtf he is doing with the ball, and where he is on the field.

I also remember some poor defense at times at Arsenal, though that may have been more on Wes being a bit slow that first game back. 

Dragovic seemed very solid when he played, and he gives us a weapon with his leg, he's an excellent passed. Do we need to start thinking about giving him a try over Maguire? Shame Iborra wasn't in today, he'd have slid over to fill the gap, guaranteed.

I take it you dont actually go to the games and only watch h leicester on the tv inbetween whatever it is you are smoking.

Maguire had been class all season and you my friend are talking right out of your arse hole and need a check up from the neck up you complete nutter!!

18 minutes ago, vanity said:

It is about being overly reliant on a player who is not yet mentally where he needs to be. He is young and needs to continue improving. His concentration is poor, and similar to Chilwell, when he makes mistakes, they are COSTLY mistakes. I have thoroughly enjoyed his play, but we don't lose at Huddersfield with a healthy Huth playing his spot. Liverpool doesn't get that 4 on 2 break if he isn't so careless. Let's not pretend it is unreasonable to replace players and let them watch a couple games from the bench to chew over the errors they are making. 

BC he is making serious mistakes, and if you don't see that, IDK what you are watching.

Yes he got caught out at Huddersfield but he isn't the only player guilty of giving the ball away in dangerous positions. I think you're being unfair on the lad to be honest.

But Kasper so far, should've kept out Rashford's goal at OT, beaten by Kante's pea-roller, slow to get down to the Huddersfield goal last week and beaten today by Salah's header in the only place he could score. Which player has made the more costly errors so far? Don't get me wrong, I like Kasper and believe he's a good goalie but his standards have dropped recently but that doesn't mean I'd drop him, and I certainly wouldn't drop Maguire.

What we need is a midfield that can actually exert some control over a game and then perhaps we wouldn't be so reliant on a ball playing centre half starting attacks. So what I'm watching is the same as yourself but I'm seeing more pressing concerns than the odd stray pass from Maguire.

We need to reward the lads with pizza again when we keep a clean sheet.

Porous is the right word - Liverpool's third was too easy.

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I think as usual, many of us have bigged him up, too much too quickly. Myself included.

Today i thought at times he was a liability actually. Making forward runs at the wrong time, leaving us utterly exposed. Missing challenges and I never realized just how slow he is.

I like him. But we've conceded an awful lot of goals already this season. I don't know exactly how many..but it's lots.

No way is our defence at all solid. Its porous.

49 minutes ago, vanity said:

We all like when he goes marauding, but it would be dishonest to pretend he hasn't cost us a fair number of points so far this season with his careless play. Not sure how many, though four come to mind, today and vs. Huddersfield. Just seems to struggle keeping his concentration, and it is costing us results. Does foolish things, like fighting in the box in the 90th minute, he knows the refs are watching, so he immediately fouls on the kick. Lad needs a bit more common sense out there, and he needs to be mindful of wtf he is doing with the ball, and where he is on the field.

I also remember some poor defense at times at Arsenal, though that may have been more on Wes being a bit slow that first game back. 

Dragovic seemed very solid when he played, and he gives us a weapon with his leg, he's an excellent passed. Do we need to start thinking about giving him a try over Maguire? Shame Iborra wasn't in today, he'd have slid over to fill the gap, guaranteed.

Also ive never blocked anyone before but I'm about to block you for being a complete cnut!!!!  Congratulations. 

I think Maguire needs to maintain  his movement and not overplay and venture forwards unnecessarily. He sometimes seems to forget He's in defence and wanders into midfield too often.

He's very good on the ball compared to wes but he's been caught out a few times and today it cost us a goal.

Archived