Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Next City Manager?

Next possible City Manager  

705 members have voted

1. 1. Who next for City when Shakey gets booted

• Martin O’Neill
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Eddie Howe
    • David Wagner
    • Rafa Benitez
    • Ex-Dortmund Tuchel
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Bob Weasel Fox

10 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Who?

Niko Kovac. He's the Nigel of the Bundesliga. He turned Frankfurt from relegation favourites in to consistent top half scrappers. 

Plays the 352 that kept us up in the great escape, focuses on fitness and work ethic and stubborn football. 

Wouldn't be the prettiest football but would fit most of the current squad. 

He's a bit of an O'Neill. Passionate motivator more than tactical genius, known for his blood and thunder speeches and winding his players up. 

Edit: oh and from some angles, looks like an older JGL who's taken one too many shoeings. 

Just now, Finnegan said:

Niko Kovac. He's the Nigel of the Bundesliga. He turned Frankfurt from relegation favourites in to consistent top half scrappers. 

Plays the 352 that kept us up in the great escape, focuses on fitness and work ethic and stubborn football. 

Wouldn't be the prettiest football but would fit most of the current squad. 

He's a bit of an O'Neill. Passionate motivator more than tactical genius, known for his blood and thunder speeches and winding his players up. 

Hows that? With bantz?

It'll be Nigel Pearson - just based on the fact that we'll only be changing things if we end up in a bit of a relegation scrap - and the owners are very loyal (which has been proven again) - that then discounts all the "bigger" names everyone wants - ala Rafa, Tuchel, Ancelotti etc who won't be game for that.

57 minutes ago, Gerard said:

20 years a go they were a bigger club than us but in modern football they just aren't.

I think ground wise support wise and history of winning things will prove you wrong on that score. They simply are a bigger club.

2 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

I think ground wise support wise and history of winning things will prove you wrong on that score. They simply are a bigger club.

Their last major trophy was the FA Cup in 1955.

They do have a bigger ground and more than likely a bigger fanbase but that doesn't count for a lot these days. 

They don't spend more money than us and if a player had an offer from both clubs on exactly the same terms it would be a coin flip on who he joined.

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

None of the above...can't think that anyone that saw the game Saturday that would particularly want the job (other than the wedge of dosh that it would bring).

I don't want my job but the money keeps me in beer and I at least do a passable job. I'm sure the high octane world of first class football management is vaguely the same.

11 hours ago, inckley fox said:

He went down with Newcastle. No, he wasn't to blame, but his relegation-dodging pedigree isn't too reassuring.

You never know who's going to click. Even if, say, Ancelotti wanted to come, it could go wrong. He's not managed anything other than a top end club in two decades and we've come a cropper before bringing in high calibre bosses who aren't right for our predicament. Who'd have thought Pearson would be a better fit than Sousa and Eriksson?

A lot of the names could work out - but it's a huge risk. Wagner finished 19th in his first season so he's no more of an impact boss than Pearson. Tuchel doesn't know this league. Howe may well be a one-club man. I think we'll hold on for a little longer to give CS the chance to find the answers, and see how tidy a job Pearson is doing in Belgium in the meantime. If the board look elsewhere, it could well be for someone with 'survival pedigree', which isn't necessarily as mouth-watering prospect as the names in the poll.

I don't think Pearson has to be seen as a step backwards. It wasn't a step backwards in 2011. He's a team-builder, so a forward-thinking ex-boss is more likely to move us forwards than a conservative-minded new face. The problem with Pearson is that he needs to find his feet again for now, he's unlikely to reunite the old backroom team and may be a better option if it all goes wrong and we need to start a project from scratch a year from now, and have the patience to let it happen.

In the short-term, we should look at how we can help Shakespeare, either from above (a football-minded DoF) or below (someone new in the coaching staff), before rushing to a decision. Remind him that he needs to come up with new answers and give him the chance and backing to do it. After all, the board did just sell his star midfielder and balls up the replacement. And as awful as we look, a point away is a decent point.

great post

Archived