Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
GaelicFox

The Poppy Police : do they dishonour war dead

The whole poppy wearing thing seems to be getting out of control , it’s almost impossible for anyone to appear in the media these days without wearing a poppy because the almost Nazi (look at the definition) poppy police will be down their throats looking to Rip our their  hearts ! They are disrespecting  the main reason most of those men and boys faught for and died for which was “freedom” and freedom of choice. 

This notion of public expression always seems to pop up again at this time of year.  Moeen Ali , England cricketer, was upbraided for not wearing a poppy in an official team photograph. As it turned out, the poppy had simply fallen off, although not before the usual sluice of social media abuse had lapped his way. "C***," one Instagram comment read. "Wear a f***ing poppy or don't play for England you disrespectful p****."

the concerning  thing is only a fraction of donations goes to the charity  and depending on what poppy merchandise you buy it can he as little as 10/15% which is why I personally would never buy a poppy , I stick my £2 in a help for hero’s collecting tin,  a much more socially responsible collection process. 

The poppy police fiasco is now rampantly out of control  there seems to be little choice in the matter of wearing or not wearing for nearly all public figures , maybe it’s time we said it’s worn on one day 11th of November and then it’s put away for the year. It Might see the end of the knuckle head poppy police who are disrespecting the war dead not honouring them ! 

Edited by GaelicFox
  • Like 3

I have one on my hat all year round. By a pin each year , replace it and forget it's there. If people don't want to wear one that's their choice, but I wear it for my grandfather who fought in world war 2 to give people that choice. 

• Like 1

I've honestly never heard someone complain about someone not wearing a poppy, I'd imagine it's rampant on something like Twitter with the mob rule but in day to day life I've never come across it. 

The only thing I can't stand are the people who walk around wearing white poppies, the ultimate symbol of the virtue signalling - look at me I'm better than you because my my poppy says "no more war" - as if everyone wearing the red one can't wait to see another global conflict that results in 90 million people dying again. 

They are the 24/7 version of the Facebook charity willy puller.

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

I've honestly never heard someone complain about someone not wearing a poppy, I'd imagine it's rampant on something like Twitter with the mob rule but in day to day life I've never come across it. 

The only thing I can't stand are the people who walk around wearing white poppies, the ultimate symbol of the virtue signalling - look at me I'm better than you because my my poppy says "no more war" - as if everyone wearing the red one can't wait to see another global conflict that results in 90 million people dying again. 

Yea I don’t like the white thing on Nov 11th its rude and disrespectful 

I think a white poppy has a place at Christmas maybe to signify peace 

something that was often marked during war , Christmas Day being a day of peace 

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Nor have i and if it is rampant on twitter etc and you don't like, don't go on twitter. 

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

I got called a ***** for not buying a poppy from a seller outside Saino's once.

*To be fair it could just have been someone from on here.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I got called a ***** for not buying a poppy from a seller outside Saino's once.

*To be fair it could just have been someone from on here.

Never mind not buying a poppy, WTF is Saino's? If its what i think it is, you are a lazy bastard :D

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

something that was often marked during war , Christmas Day being a day of peace 

I think you make a good point initially, but aren't you doing the same by dissing the White thing. Are you the White Poppy Police?

As you say, it's about freedom of choice. The question is I suppose, how much freedom do you give to people who want the to express their view that poppy-wearing should be socially compulsory?

Gets into the whole unsolveable debate about freedom of expression versus freedom from hate. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

I would be up for that but it would look silly pinned on my "Let's bomb Syria" Christmas jumper.

2 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

They are disrespecting  the main reason most of those men and boys faught for and died for which was “freedom” and freedom of choice

There is no "law" that obliges you to wear it, so you have freedom of choice. Just like people who will judge/criticize you have the freedom to judge/criticize you. 

8 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I disagree with the opening paragraph, on most minutes silences it's true, but for armistice day it is impossible for me not to think about the war, the horrors, the loss, the parts my grandparents played and then I look around and think of the part that the parents and grand parents and great grandparents of everyone around all doing their bit for one common cause and the sacrifices they made.

I get that some of the gestures are a bit crass and over the top, and some people don't like to wear a poppy for whatever reason, that is the beauty of freedom of choice. But I don't think that many people are thinking about "the unpaid gas bill on the kitchen table, to the half-finished WhatsApp message you were in the middle of composing." during an impeccably observed minutes silence on armistice day.

I also, in some ways, applaud James Mclean, for his stance and for expanding the debate on poppies.

• Like 1

it's about remembering those people that have died in war, and not supporting war or the reasons for going to war. it shouldn't be political or religious(just about christians). it should just be remembering those who gave their lives for freedom and democracy. if you want to wear one, fine and if you don't fine. it should be up to the individual to make a personal choice but you shouldn't protest about it!

• Like 1