Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc sheff

H&M sh*t storm

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Well, no, racists are the real racists. 

People who have a problem with this are paranoid and overly sensitive. 

And then label and cause a shit storm which dilutes what racism is and makes it into a joke which means real issues get less attention. 

Just now, Benguin said:

And then label and cause a shit storm which dilutes what racism is and makes it into a joke which means real issues get less attention. 

I don't disagree with that part at all, you're right. 

But I've always found the "people that see racism are the racists" argument to be, at best, daft and at worst obviously trolling. 

It's one of Chandlervan's favourite lines and was always silly when he came out with it. 

54 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I know the saying "all bad publicity is good publicity" but not sure how it would help a clothes store to be racist, with boycotts no doubt to occur. Surely the kids parent's wouldn't have let it be posted online if they had deemed it racist themselves? (I'm sure we'll get their side of the story soon)

There's no way any marketing team would miss the connotations though. What they will have seen is perfectly good deniability (it's clearly about how we refer to kids as cheeky monkeys), and a chance to go viral.

Yeah, the holier-than-thou brigade will boycott for a couple of weeks until there's a new storm in a teacup to shout about, but they'll also get the "pc gone mad" crowd buying and talking about them 

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't disagree with that part at all, you're right. 

But I've always found the "people that see racism are the racists" argument to be, at best, daft and at worst obviously trolling. 

It's one of Chandlervan's favourite lines and was always silly when he came out with it. 

I think you misunderstood the premise. Of course people who "call racist" aren't actually racist to the extent that they see themselves as superior to other races. They do however diminish in extreme cases or at the very least regress the succuss of the pursuit of civil rights. 

9 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I think you misunderstood the premise. Of course people who "call racist" aren't actually racist to the extent that they see themselves as superior to other races. They do however diminish in extreme cases or at the very least regress the succuss of the pursuit of civil rights. 

Thats far removed from what you said mind. Yeah, overzealous virtue signalling doesn't help tackle actual issues, but people who go off in a tizzy about slight mistakes are hardly racist as you originally said - either in the belief in racial superiority or the more ridiculous suggestion that noticing it means you're racist. 

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Just out  of interest what is the demographic of those calling it racist?

To progress towards an equal society we need to move beyond making those links between normal everyday words used in an everyday context, like monkey and jungle and black and white and immediately applying racial connotations. Whilst we still have the opinion that calling a white kid a little monkey in an affectionate way is ok, but not a black kid then we will never have equality. The  problem is for that to happen we need people to stop using these words in a racial context. Fair play to H&M for having such complete colourblindness to  not even see the possible racial connection. (Or everyone involved was foreign/ignorant) Shame on those who have subjected the young model to the  racial oppression of the real world.

Couldn't agree more.

Ok, the picture belongs on the phunny pictures/videos thread, I think many people will be privately chuckling at the irony.

Having said that, you'd have to be absolute embarrassment to actually think this is racist or even think it's a mistake from H&M. It's not their problem that some people use the word monkey incorrectly.

36 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

It's not racist. BUT i can see why people have been offended by it. I wonder if there would be the same amount of backlash if they had a black kid and a white kid modeling the same top?

Are you just saying this in case you upset anybody? You can't see it, really can you?

No sensible person would accept that someone has been offended by this.

1 minute ago, Kitchandro said:

Are you just saying this in case you upset anybody? You can't see it, really can you?

Not at all. I'm saying i understand the reasons why a person could be offended by it. Anyone who knows anything about racism and history knows the whole black person/monkey insult. In some instances, it would clearly be wildly racist.

Having said that, i do think anyone who is offended by it in THIS context needs to calm the **** down. It's clearly part of a range of jungle animal related clothing, and the models/clothes were most likely selected at random.

I think it sums up a lot of our societal problems in this respect these days.

Surely It would have been more racist if H&M had taken a conscious decision to put a white lad in the top because of the use of the word monkey. It would also have meant giving a job to a non black which in itself would be racist I guess. Isn't a sign of being non-racist the fact that we don't even notice the colour of the person wearing the article?

It's pathetic and all it is is creating racism where it doesn't exist. It's a jungle theme range of clothes and the models have to come from various ethnic groups. Why didn't the parents say something at the photo shoot, or do H&M just nick kids off the streets. Typical of the american gansta rappers to cry the racist card though.

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

after the PC shit storm of 2017 I feel H&M should have known better, but find it hard to believe h&m had people who wanted this to be posted for some sort of racist gain? it's ridiculous to think they'd gain anything from this for that matter like ive seen some people suggest on twitter.

But what..!!  Should they have known better..!!   

Its only your thought, or that of other strange thinkers.

Dont make a point...then there is Nothing..!!

It was very naive to think that in 2018, social media wouldn't descend in to chaos over a kid's jumper. I'd like to think H&M were trying to display progress, but it was probably just an oversight. Anyone that suggests they've purposely done it to offend is a PC point-scoring twat. 

Edited by RonnieTodger

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

If anything it’s ageist, I mean why haven’t they got that jumper in my size?

They've got the jumper for your age, but only for small people your age. 

If you were smaller, you'd be able to wear one.

Sizeist bastards!

5 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Not sure if this has already been posted somewhere else, if so I apologise. 

I'd like to know what peoples opinion is on the h&m disaster that's been sweeping the internet the last fews day; was it intentional racism or just people always seeing the worst in things?

h&m.jpg

HAHAHA funniest thing ive seen in weeks