Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfc sheff

H&M sh*t storm

I doubt most, including the kid and his parents wouldn't have even given it a second thought until the ****ing bullshit media cvnts in this country decided to make a ****ing song and dance about it. 

why the **** shouldn't H&M put a black kid in a monkey slogan hoody? any normal human being doesn't associate blacks and monkeys - this is 2018 for **** sake. 

it's the media. the media in this country is the root of all evil - trying to make a big deal out of the smallest irrelevant thing just to get people to buy their shitty rags, click their shitty links. 

the day the newspapers and their online versions burn to the ground is the day people will be free to find their own news, do their own research, make up their own minds.

until then we'll all be subject to this kind of absolute shit-stirring bullshit. 

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've actually done a uturn since I first saw it and now think it's actually excellent judgement and has probably been done intentionally. 

I mean who gives a **** about h&ms latest shit cheap hoody normally? Now we've all seen it and have a view. 

I do wonder if its deliberate.  after all this would have been put together by people whose sole job is to say 'hey, how will our audience respond to this?' there's no way the creative team of 20 somethings, with liberal arts degrees, who are marketing to 20 somethings and younger, didn't spot the potential trigger.

It is quite a clever approach. Most black ppl won't be offended by it, at least not to the point to stop shopping there. Most white ppl will think it's an over-reaction by the media and if anything, probably sympathise with H&M.

I'm 90% convinced that this was done with full knowledge of how it might go down.

1 minute ago, winchesterton said:

I do wonder if its deliberate.  after all this would have been put together by people whose sole job is to say 'hey, how will our audience respond to this?' there's no way the creative team of 20 somethings, with liberal arts degrees, who are marketing to 20 somethings and younger, didn't spot the potential trigger.

It is quite a clever approach. Most black ppl won't be offended by it, at least not to the point to stop shopping there. Most white ppl will think it's an over-reaction by the media and if anything, probably sympathise with H&M.

I'm 90% convinced that this was done with full knowledge of how it might go down.

If that were the case then it's probably racist.

1 hour ago, winchesterton said:

It was only a couple of weeks ago that Greggs put ad out with a sausage roll instead of Jesus in a nativity scene. Poundland had a series of crude ads involving an elf. It's blatantly done to get a reaction.

20 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

or at the very least highly unethical. 

to purposely try to incite some sort of public reaction based on perceived racism wouldn't be the best of marketing plans. 

advertising and ethics? 'East is East and West is West,  and never the twain shall meet.'

Not commenting on the morals of it, but hard to argue that such things aren't effective marketing methods. If it makes people talk and in turn makes people buy, then most advertising agencies would be happy with the results.

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

As a direct result of this furore I went out and bought some black children, so you can't say it doesn't work

When those kids are going to Greggs every Sunday to pray then we've got a problem.

1 hour ago, winchesterton said:

advertising and ethics? 'East is East and West is West,  and never the twain shall meet.'

Not commenting on the morals of it, but hard to argue that such things aren't effective marketing methods. If it makes people talk and in turn makes people buy, then most advertising agencies would be happy with the results.

I love a good conspiracy but I think purposely putting a young black boy in a sweater with a monkey slogan on it to provoke racism outrage as a marketing method is still a stretch too far.

I know several people who work in marketing and whilst something like this might work for a small brand trying to get noticed it's too much of a risk for a big brand like H&M.

There is absolutely no way a group of marketers sat around the table at H&M HQ and suggested to do that on purpose. If it ever got out they'd be in big trouble. 

Edited by lifted*fox

26 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is there a single person on here who has seen that ad and can genuinely say they didn't think it was a bit iffy? If we can see that how can't highly paid advertising executives? It's not credible.

There's something in this - surely if most folks on here would have pointed out the shit would hit the fan while this was being developed, highly-paid advertising execs would definitely point it out too?

The idea that it's a marketing ploy/publicity stunt has a lot of merit IMO.

9 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is there a single person on heo has genuinely say they didn't think it was a bit iffy? If we can see that how can't highly paid advertising executives? It's not credible.

Me...When Ist seen it, not one, not an inkling !!!  Until I read further, and my youthfull street educstion was the 60s 70s

My aquaintences, my friends old and new,..for simple Explanation, a right melting pot across the  nations

Throw Out the phrase...."cheeky little monkey"....without thought or contention.

Choice of cynic, naive, reality, ignorance, accepting , getting on with it, but not denying...

Look for shit, find shit...

41 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Is there a single person on here who has seen that ad and can genuinely say they didn't think it was a bit iffy? If we can see that how can't highly paid advertising executives? It's not credible.

But would you have noticed it flicking through a catalogue? A single image on its own stands out quite a bit more. I’d assume apart from 2-3 people, most people would have seen this alongside a whole host of other images, it’s a bit easier not to notice the big open goal. I’m not convinced they would risk a good image for little gain tbh.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

But would you have noticed it flicking through a catalogue? A single image on its own stands out quite a bit more. I’d assume apart from 2-3 people, most people would have seen this alongside a whole host of other images, it’s a bit easier not to notice the big open goal. I’m not convinced they would risk a good image for little gain tbh.

Every photo in that catalogue would be poured over by a photo editor. Even if you don't think it's racist you know someone will. Why would you chance it?