Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

On 04/02/2020 at 18:43, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think about the Old Fountain and Wenlock Arms near Old St at least twice a day.

Old Fountain is in my top ten pubs/bars of the country. Probably Marble Arch in Manchester beats it with Ship and Mitre, Liverpool competing as well 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

Leeds bods, myself and @Stadt are up there tomorrow for pints and non league togger. Can you give us a list of pubs worth visiting there?

"Proper boozers" - Whitelocks, Foley's, The Ship, The Angel, the Duck and Drake, The Templar, could perhaps bang North in here too, the Hop underneath the railway arches in Granary Wharf always has decent pints on in all but not the same vibe.

Trendy gaffs (for different reasons) with great beers - Belgrave, Headrow House, Reliance, Brunswick, Friends of Ham, North Taproom - Nation of Shopkeepers used to be tidy but not sure what it's like these days. Assembly Underground has a good range on but I've never been too sold.

The Social and the Parkside Tavern on Merrion St are worth a look in all and like Scouse has said the Brotherhood across the road is a sports bar without being a nonce about it, decent gaff. Lamb and Flag is also a great shout if you wanna start out and work in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just to point out the previous issue i did make but actually sounded sarcastic, leeds are away at forest at half 5. perhaps not an issue if you don’t want to watch it, but a lot of boozers without teles will be quiet and any boozer that has even a mobile phone showing it behind the bar will be rammo. 

14 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

"Proper boozers" - Whitelocks, Foley's, The Ship, The Angel, the Duck and Drake, The Templar, could perhaps bang North in here too, the Hop underneath the railway arches in Granary Wharf always has decent pints on in all but not the same vibe.

Trendy gaffs (for different reasons) with great beers - Belgrave, Headrow House, Reliance, Brunswick, Friends of Ham, North Taproom - Nation of Shopkeepers used to be tidy but not sure what it's like these days. Assembly Underground has a good range on but I've never been too sold.

The Social and the Parkside Tavern on Merrion St are worth a look in all and like Scouse has said the Brotherhood across the road is a sports bar without being a nonce about it, decent gaff. Lamb and Flag is also a great shout if you wanna start out and work in.

assembly is a bit weird but good. have to vibe it out over a few visits imo. 

nation is alright tbf forgot about that, too. 

It’s technically not his bar. Mikkeller have lease etc, he’s just good friends with the owner of the brewery. Mikkeller have bars across the world — all of them excellent, Copenhagen in fact has different editions which is great 

They have place open in Dartmouth Market too

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

3 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Is there any beer variety similar to Czech/German Pilsner in taste? 

Helles beers are similar

The Offie on Clarendon park rd has a few decent German bevs in (pricey, mind) if you're having them at home ordering online is better. The Gadabout (formerly Taps) has ABK Hell on tap which is great. Two Tailed Lion has Braybrooke's session lager which is unreal and brewed in Harborough by Mahrs Brau's (A Franconian brewery in Bamberg) head brewer. Blue Boar has a Sam Smith's bottled lager which is cracking (not really a lager place though). A few places in town have Budvar on, the Globe has Sharp's Pils but it tastes rank, probably a few more I've forgotten.

Edited by Stadt
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Helles beers are similar

The Offie on Clarendon park rd has a few decent German bets in (pricey, mind) if you're having them at home ordering online is better. The Gadabout (formerly Taps) has ABK Hell on tap which is great. Two Tailed Lion has Braybrooke's session lager which is unreal and brewed in Harborough by Mahrs Brau's (A Franconian brewery in Bamberg) head brewer. Blue Boar has a Sam Smith's bottled lager which is cracking (not really a lager place though). A few places in town have Budvar on, the Globe has Sharp's Pils but it tastes rank, probably a few more I've forgotten.

Top man, thank you.

Also @SemperEadem @Stadt if you fancy starting a bit further out then kicking off at Kirkstall Bridge Inn and moving in via the Cardigan Arms (which was rough as **** when I lived round the corner from it but is now probably one of my top tier favourites) could be a shout, a couple of Ubers mind. Kirkstall Brewery own them both and have just opened a taproom near the pair of them that'll no doubt be a sensation. 

Gaffs I've not been in but want to get to, think @ScouseFox has - Wapentake and Shlocken.

It's just the best bloody city in the UK isn't it

41 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Also @SemperEadem @Stadt if you fancy starting a bit further out then kicking off at Kirkstall Bridge Inn and moving in via the Cardigan Arms (which was rough as **** when I lived round the corner from it but is now probably one of my top tier favourites) could be a shout, a couple of Ubers mind. Kirkstall Brewery own them both and have just opened a taproom near the pair of them that'll no doubt be a sensation. 

Gaffs I've not been in but want to get to, think @ScouseFox has - Wapentake and Shlocken.

It's just the best bloody city in the UK isn't it

We're going to Guiseley so will struggle getting to loads of these but looks like I'll have to visit more often based solely on the watering holes. Shite that it takes about  an hour between 2 of the biggest cities in the country for a c. 40 mile journey.

17 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We're going to Guiseley so will struggle getting to loads of these but looks like I'll have to visit more often based solely on the watering holes. Shite that it takes about  an hour between 2 of the biggest cities in the country for a c. 40 mile journey.

You doing Sheff to Leeds on the Northern two carriage mate? A beauty.

On 04/02/2020 at 18:43, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I think about the Old Fountain and Wenlock Arms near Old St at least twice a day.

Went to both last night. Peanut butter stout and omnipollo at old fountain, both excellent. Had whatever five points was on tap at wenlock and it was.....ok. Think I need a few more visits there to be convinced

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Went to both last night. Peanut butter stout and omnipollo at old fountain, both excellent. Had whatever five points was on tap at wenlock and it was.....ok. Think I need a few more visits there to be convinced

I'm just a vibesman mate, the shape of the bar, the mirrors, the dartboard, and when they get that fire going cor blimey

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

In the Wenlock now man and on the Five Points Railway porter, glorious stuff

• Like 1