Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

On 02/03/2020 at 19:06, Kopic said:

Drinking my first ever pint of Guinness at the moment. I'm a proper lager lout so never tried it. It was my grandad's drink of choice and he sadly passed yesterday so thought I'd try one. Completely inoffensive, probably wont have many more but I'm not scared of it anymore.

Only just started drinking Guinness in the last year and it’s now my first choice pint. 

Had a pint of Hackney Hopster in The Parcel Yard last Wednesday as the Guinness was off.

Claims to be a pale ale but more of a lager to me, I won’t be having another one.  It actually put me off drinking the second pint of Steaming Billy which was actually quite decent, although I would have liked it a little colder. The burger was great though. 

https://www.londonfieldsbrewery.co.uk/products/hackney-hopster

What is this obsession brewers have with everything having a hint of citrus, give me a nice smooth pint every time. 

21 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

On the true GOAT tonight, Titanic Plumb Porter.

Somebody else mentioned this and I was going to try and make it for Xmas, but never got round to it. 

I might revisit it and give it a go. Problem with adding things like fruit extract is that it’s a bit trial and error, and you can end up with 23 litres of unspeakably bad beer if you get it wrong - which is a bit demoralising, expensive...and means you have no beer in the house! 

1 minute ago, Milo said:

Somebody else mentioned this and I was going to try and make it for Xmas, but never got round to it. 

I might revisit it and give it a go. Problem with adding things like fruit extract is that it’s a bit trial and error, and you can end up with 23 litres of unspeakably bad beer if you get it wrong - which is a bit demoralising, expensive...and means you have no beer in the house! 

23 litres of unspeakably bad beer is still a class drink though, go wild (blind).

Titanic's plum porter is great but there are some naff imitations knocking about now.

Had a Wilde Childe- Days of Wilde stout in the Blue Boar yesterday and that stuff is like drinking a pudding at less than 5%. One was lovely but couldn't have a session on it, proper sweet tooth stuff.

Love the gaff but disappointing selection in Queen's Road Tap who had one dark beer on over ten taps / cask and it was the best part of 7%. Went in the Loaded Dog for Jeff and they're a 'craft beer' but just do Neck Oil gaff now.

King's Head / Salmon pick of the bunch in Leicester yesterday, always love a visit back mind. Shout out to the Clarendon in all which despite making the bar staff wear braces had decent bevs on if you fancy one with the football.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie

Had some absolute belters over the past couple of days. Went to Brum / Wolves yesterday with my old man, The Great Western in Wolves is such a bloody good gaff if you're into "proper boozers" and the Pasada was great in all.

Pint Shop in Brum was still decent - went back in the Colmore, the Thornbridge gaff, and I still don't know what to make of it. It's obvious a lot has been spent on it, and I want to like it, but there's some weird Roman theming in parts to it that just doesn't have any context. Beer spot on though.

Had today off so walked to Beeston via Lenton and the Nottingham uni campus - one in the Star, the Hop Pole and the Victoria before walking back for one in the Johnson Arms opposite QMC and another in the Boat round the corner. 

All great gaffs, Beeston has tremendous places considering it's probably smaller than Loughborough.

Then went into town, Malt Cross, Newshouse, beerheadz and Barley Twist before a short walk back. Good pints, but I still maintain that Leicester's *best* gaffs are better than Nottingham's best (given what I drink). Definitely more here in Nottingham of a very good quality quantity wise, but I'd always argue my LE top 5 are better than my NG top 5.

18 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Had today off so walked to Beeston via Lenton and the Nottingham uni campus - one in the Star, the Hop Pole and the Victoria before walking back for one in the Johnson Arms opposite QMC and another in the Boat round the corner. 

All great gaffs, Beeston has tremendous places considering it's probably smaller than Loughborough.

Then went into town, Malt Cross, Newshouse, beerheadz and Barley Twist before a short walk back. Good pints, but I still maintain that Leicester's *best* gaffs are better than Nottingham's best (given what I drink). Definitely more here in Nottingham of a very good quality quantity wise, but I'd always argue my LE top 5 are better than my NG top 5.

What's Loughborough like for a crawl? Towns are often better than cities, never been myself but a few I know say Chesterfield's worth a day out

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The title of this thread could be very apt in the next two weeks. Get garried whilst you can!

This is probably why I’m making my way through the bottles of red that have been maturing in my cupboards for the past 4 years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The title of this thread could be very apt in the next two weeks. Get garried whilst you can!

Anyone else considering buying a few crates of beer/wine on the assumption we could be locked inside for a few weeks? 

I think my second biggest fear atm is running out of booze during a lockdown.. 

3 hours ago, Fktf said:

Anyone else considering buying a few crates of beer/wine on the assumption we could be locked inside for a few weeks? 

I think my second biggest fear atm is running out of booze during a lockdown.. 

I went out for groceries on Friday and came back with a six pack of beer and a bottle of bourbon for the same reason. 

17 hours ago, Stadt said:

What's Loughborough like for a crawl? Towns are often better than cities, never been myself but a few I know say Chesterfield's worth a day out

Not been for a couple of years mate but always rated the White Hart, Organ Grinder, Needle and Pin and Generous Briton. My old man loves a gaff there called the Cask Bah in all. 

Used to rate the Orange Tree in Loughborough but haven't been since the group got sold off.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...