Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

I’ve seen Tynt Meadow all over the shop, can’t say it’s my favourite beer but it’s decent.

Slowly (not so slowly tonight, this week has been a bag of wank) working my way through my TR order. Their new sours are decent in the way that Hubba Bubba is decent. Taste fake as anything but the apple sour is very appley and sour. The others are decent too.

33 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I've moved not far from where they brew it at Mount St Bernard's Abbey, it's seriously good stuff!

Also, when I went Bruges last year they had it in a bottle shop which was great to see. Must be decent if they rate it.

It’s one of only 13 Trappist (made by monks) beers. I think five are in Belgium off the top of my head - Orval is probably my fav of those 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Shame Head of Steam went, wasn’t amazing but was certainly more interesting than most LC pubs wrt beer

Baffling in some ways how Distillery dominates when Head of Steam was virtually next door doing pretty much the same thing with better beer. 

HoS does really well in Brum

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Baffling in some ways how Distillery dominates when Head of Steam was virtually next door doing pretty much the same thing with better beer. 

HoS does really well in Brum

The Distillery and O’Neills always seem

to be pretty busy considering they’re not even cheap for chain pubcos. HoS was a very big unit I suppose, I just don’t think Leicester has much of a thirst on for beer generally.

In the 5 years since I’ve turned 18 the number and quality of pubs has dwindled. The Swan, Criterion, HoS, KR III, Last Plant and Taps have all gone in that time with only TTL, Tønne (not that keen personally) and Blue Boar opening up. Brewklopedia went as well really compounding the issues 

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The Distillery and O’Neills always seem

to be pretty busy considering they’re not even cheap for chain pubcos. HoS was a very big unit I suppose, I just don’t think Leicester has much of a thirst on for beer generally.

In the 5 years since I’ve turned 18 the number and quality of pubs has dwindled. The Swan, Criterion, HoS, KR III, Last Plant and Taps have all gone in that time with only TTL, Tønne (not that keen personally) and Blue Boar opening up. Brewklopedia went as well really compounding the issues 

While the Swan and Taps were losses, I actually think the city is probably better for beer now than it was five years back.

Queen's Road Tap is a tidy little gaff that's opened in that time, think West End Brewery on Brauny Gate might make that threshold too (not entirely sure on dates there, though).

It's a shame Broood never quite hit the mark as its in a decent spot, just felt like a missed opportunity. Haven't been in since it's been the Grand Union but I know exactly what to expect, shame.

It wasn't really a beery gaff but it's heartbreaking to see the Font as it is now, such a bloody lovely building that someone has managed to completely naff up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

It wasn't really a beery gaff but it's heartbreaking to see the Font as it is now, such a bloody lovely building that someone has managed to completely naff up.

Ah the font. Many an evening spent in there whilst I was at DMU (about 8 years ago now). Best pub in the area when I was a student. The bloke who owns the building was a complete bellend. The whole block (private flats above and student flats next door) are owned by the same bloke, he kept trying to rinse rent from the font owners whilst doing **** all to the student flats. My girlfriend lived next door to it in said student flats, which was great for a pint but shit for a night's sleep. Shithole.

I found some Belgian brewed Stella in makro the other day, 20 quid for 24 500ml cans. Why does country-specific brewed beer taste so, so much better than UK brewed? Uk stella is dirt but Belgian brewed is quite drinkable. As a mainstream lager drinker I notice it a hell of a lot. The supermarkets have recently started selling uk brewed corona and its disgusting, Mexican imported corona was always an easy go to if the price was cheap enough as it wasn't too bad. Not anymore. I'm glad heineken have gone back to Netherlands brewing, again the UK ones were shite but they seem to have clocked on to it and reverted.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

While the Swan and Taps were losses, I actually think the city is probably better for beer now than it was five years back.

Queen's Road Tap is a tidy little gaff that's opened in that time, think West End Brewery on Brauny Gate might make that threshold too (not entirely sure on dates there, though).

It's a shame Broood never quite hit the mark as its in a decent spot, just felt like a missed opportunity. Haven't been in since it's been the Grand Union but I know exactly what to expect, shame.

I think in general pubs have sharpened up with their offerings, fosters is a bit of a relic these days and it’s given way to Staropramen/Amstel/Estrella as staples and they’ve cottoned on to craft being big. Beer wise you’re right but 

not convinced with the pubs, newer places tend to be great for the beer but it find them a bit samey and soulless. Admittedly I’ve never been to QRT but it’s on my hit list, especially as Tollgate’s gear is good. Wyggeston house is positive gain.

The Western will drop off in quality as you’ve said before, I forgot about the Dry Dock too, has the bricklayer’s gone as well? 

Town is pretty good if you know where to look because the concentration of boozers isn’t great. London Rd and Queen’s road are very decent for a crawl but centrally it’s lacking a bit. I do feel there’s quite a few places that would do better elsewhere, Bruxelles definitely would.

RIP Orange Tree when it was independent too and O Bar on Brauny Gate when it had its Smokehouse BBQ

I think it says a lot when the Salmon is considered a decent pub by the default of it actually feeling like a pub - scores high on atmosphere, less on the beer selection. 

If I had to show someone around, you’d have a good night out but I think you’d struggle to find proper pub after pub 

7 hours ago, Stadt said:

I think in general pubs have sharpened up with their offerings, fosters is a bit of a relic these days and it’s given way to Staropramen/Amstel/Estrella as staples and they’ve cottoned on to craft being big. Beer wise you’re right but 

not convinced with the pubs, newer places tend to be great for the beer but it find them a bit samey and soulless. Admittedly I’ve never been to QRT but it’s on my hit list, especially as Tollgate’s gear is good. Wyggeston house is positive gain.

The Western will drop off in quality as you’ve said before, I forgot about the Dry Dock too, has the bricklayer’s gone as well?

Aye but I think the gains in the last five years or so outweigh the losses mate. TTL, Blue Boar, Wygston's House, QRT are all better than any of those lost with the exception of the Swan, perhaps - all different in their own way and all avoiding the "paint everything grey and put gin o'clock slogans on the wall" naff shite that plagues the bigger-owned pubs.

I do think your point definitely crosses with @Cardiff_Fox's though in that there's a big lack of "proper" pubs in the centre, and that comes into sharp focus once you've moved away.

Always thought the Hind should be better than it is, it's a great shape inside - even the Barley Mow could have reasonable potential but the crowd in there is rough as arseholes.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Got an absolute rod on for the dunkels I got earlier, but the wiper and true plum pudding porter is still a Susan drop your honour

Like Xmas in a glass.... Wiper have some great brews. Kaleidoscope for instance is just about as good a session pale as you can find.. Branding is bang on as well. Simple but beautiful. 

3 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Like Xmas in a glass.... Wiper have some great brews. Kaleidoscope for instance is just about as good a session pale as you can find.. Branding is bang on as well. Simple but beautiful. 

Only ever had the small beer from their paler output by mate as I tend to drink darker bevs in general but their milk stout is great too isn't it? Just so thick, really nice.

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Only ever had the small beer from their paler output by mate as I tend to drink darker bevs in general but their milk stout is great too isn't it? Just so thick, really nice.

Yeah it is.  It's food and drink that stout. If you like that though give another one from down this neck of the woods a go.  LHG Solitude.  Lush.

LHG also have a limited edition 10 % er as well which isn't on at the moment. Can't remember the name for the life of me but its ridiculous... Tones of cherry and coconut.  Its madder than Mads Mickelson. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Yeah it is.  It's food and drink that stout. If you like that though give another one from down this neck of the woods a go.  LHG Solitude.  Lush.

LHG also have a limited edition 10 % er as well which isn't on at the moment. Can't remember the name for the life of me but its ridiculous... Tones of cherry and coconut.  Its madder than Mads Mickelson. 

Don't think I've ever had any Left Handed Giant stuff but Bristol Beer Factory's milk stout is a superb drink in all, especially on cask. Never been to Bristol for a proper wander really but it must be half decent? For some reason I always imagine it to be rich.

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Don't think I've ever had any Left Handed Giant stuff but Bristol Beer Factory's milk stout is a superb drink in all, especially on cask. Never been to Bristol for a proper wander really but it must be half decent? For some reason I always imagine it to be rich.

Some top pubs for beer. Navy Volunteer my fav and Small Bar opposite is great. Waterfront and Wapping Wharf is a great day/night out 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Some top pubs for beer. Navy Volunteer my fav and Small Bar opposite is great. Waterfront and Wapping Wharf is a great day/night out 

I hope Bristol City come up, never been but I'd imagine it'd make for a good away to stay over for. Certainly more appealing than Watford and Bournemouth returning.

14 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Agree with that. The LHG Brew house is v good as well and in a fantastic building. Its a cracking craft ale scene down here. Wiper, LHG, Lost and Grounded, Moor, BBF, Good Chemistry etc etc etc. We're quite lucky.