Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Unabomber

Your last Pint?

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Big fan of both mate - Golden Glow by Holden's is like drinking squash, only made the pilgrimage to the Great Western at the start of March just before things got serious, what a place.

Had Batham's Best at their boozer in Hagley, ridiculous stuff like you said, almost sweet, so easy to get down you.

I know the Ale Wagon in town gets both on fairly regularly but they don't last long.

Now we talking with the Great Western! It’s as good as Wolves. 

Hagley isn’t too far from me. My boss lives around the corner form that gaff lucky sod. 

Oddly Stourbridge isn’t a bad day out for

boozing around those parts. Then again so is Derby on the ale 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Had them before, very nice. I’m off the booze for the next few weeks. 

Tbf I'm taking in easy. Have been for a while really. Hardly ever have more than a few nowadays but will always treat self to nice stuff. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Now we talking with the Great Western! It’s as good as Wolves. 

Hagley isn’t too far from me. My boss lives around the corner form that gaff lucky sod. 

Oddly Stourbridge isn’t a bad day out for

boozing around those parts. Then again so is Derby on the ale 

Was wary it woudn't be worth the hype given it's a bit of a 'destination pub' but I could have sat in there all day. I thought the Posada that way was decent in all, couldn't figure the city itself out though.

Oooooft my old boy likes Stourbridge man, I fancy it just to have a go on that little rattler that goes up and down the hill.

Only been Derby for a crawl once and that was a three or four years back now - can only remember the Silk Mill, Furnace, The Tap and one near the station (Alexandra?) off the top of my head. The amount of pubs put Leicester to shame.

4 minutes ago, bovril said:

Got one of those pub ambience videos on the TV, some bar snacks and a keg of local ale. Just like being in a pub but without the annoying stuff like other people. 

As a well travelled bloke, which country do you rate as the best for pubs/social drinking?

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

As a well travelled bloke, which country do you rate as the best for pubs/social drinking?

For pubs, England. For social drinking, anywhere in the Balkans. It's cheap, involves excellent food and people manage to get hilariously shit faced and stay jovial. 

Worst would be Italy. 

I don't know Germany and Central Europe very well. 

• Thanks 1

On 31/12/2020 at 19:03, Voll Blau said:

Have a good'un all. Currently on some standard Guinness but had some great Christmas ales the other night I forgot to post about. Santa Paws from the Wolf Brewery was the best pun name. 

Norfolk is the last bastion of the cringy real ale names. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

On some new Bavarian'uns tonight. Scheyern, Hirter, two from the Tegernseer brewery and an Augustiner Pils. Couple of Hacker-Pschorr München Golds chilling in the fridge for the game tomorrow.

Noticed that you like your German drops.   I had Yankee Kraut Bavarian Road Trip Kveik IPA last night with low expectations-  I was pleasantly surprised in the end its really fruity and rich.  Have you heard of their brewery?

https://www.beer52.com/shop/product/yankee-kraut/bavarian-road-trip-kveik-cryo-ipa/3239

37 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Noticed that you like your German drops.   I had Yankee Kraut Bavarian Road Trip Kveik IPA last night with low expectations-  I was pleasantly surprised in the end its really fruity and rich.  Have you heard of their brewery?

https://www.beer52.com/shop/product/yankee-kraut/bavarian-road-trip-kveik-cryo-ipa/3239

Never heard of them but cheers for the tip!

32 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Vault City releasing both an iron brew and sloe gin sour today. Not drinking atm but can’t ignore that. @Costock_Fox

Yeah I saw that. I’ve had the iron brew one, wasn’t anything special but the sloe gin one is tempting.

They have done a grapefruit one and I can imagine that is great.

14 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah I saw that. I’ve had the iron brew one, wasn’t anything special but the sloe gin one is tempting.

They have done a grapefruit one and I can imagine that is great.

That’s disappointing re the iron brew one, I will still order and have a go.

On 15/01/2021 at 21:54, Voll Blau said:

Norfolk produces some decent drops!

Which ones have you tried? There are some very small ones that produce incredible beers. I really like Birdhouse which is a very small brewer whom I think only sells in the Downham-Lynn-Wisbech industrial megapolis triangle. They (it's one bloke I think) produce very traditional ales that taste like they're supposed to. I'm not a huge fan of the experimental stouts or American style over-hopped stuff. Fox Brewery is also great in a kind of tap-your-best-bitter-into-a-bottle-and-sell-it kind of way. I think they're on the Beers of Europe website. Wagtail Brewery make one of the best bottled stouts I've ever had but again they're tiny. You can pick them up in the Real Ale Shop near Brancaster which is worth calling in to if you're in the area.