Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

My pecs are pretty sore after doing flys in the gym today.

Maybe I didn't do them properly but never had this problem before.

Any of you clever gym folk have any idea what weights I can do without hurting them further?

Thanks

Is this with dumbells? I personally hate doing flies with them. I try do focus more on cable flies and the pec deck. You can also do flies on a bench using a cables machine. If you feel it in your chest, it’s normally good as you probably recruited more muscle fibres than you usually do. Pain in other areas can mean you’re doing it wrong, such as in your front delts. 

• Like 1

Has anyone ever had shoulders feel like they’re grinding before? I tried doing front raises today and could really feel it grinding as I bought it down on the right side. I could do press, lateral raises, reverse fly etc with no problem at all. 

Also, does anyone have anything good for forearms? I’m doing backwards curls with an EZ bar right now but not making much progress. I’m tall and quite gangly so even though I have quite decent arms and shoulders my wrists are still like a womans

10 hours ago, DanNDH88 said:

Is this with dumbells? I personally hate doing flies with them. I try do focus more on cable flies and the pec deck. You can also do flies on a bench using a cables machine. If you feel it in your chest, it’s normally good as you probably recruited more muscle fibres than you usually do. Pain in other areas can mean you’re doing it wrong, such as in your front delts. 

Yes with dumbbells. Thanks for your help sir 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Did my first Spin class in about 20 years at my new gym today. I nearly had a heart attack on two occasions but managed to get through to the end.

Fvck me it was hard work but I like how the music is all designed to get you pedaling at various speeds - very clever.

I can't believe what great value DW gyms are. I'm doing three classes a week plus weights and stuff and it's only £18 a month. I can't imagine they make much of a profit after paying all their costs and I'd quite happily pay double that.

After only six weeks I'm starting to see a few changes. Getting stronger, more energy and I'd class myself as slim and sleek rather than skinny now :D

You should take Col with you next time.

1 minute ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

9 mile run this morning 

fook me it was hot, and I felt my age today and some 

9 minute mile roughly on average so slower than normal but ok ish I guess

Nice one Bob :thumbup:

After my Spin class this morning I was talking to the guy who ran it (as he was picking me up of the floor :D) I asked him if it was doing me any good as I'm getting on a bit and he said that any exercise at our age is a good thing.

I'm noticing I can't run or cycle anywhere near as quick as I could in my 20's but I feel better knowing that I'm at least doing something to raise my heart rate and get my blood pumping. Has to be better than sat at home in front of the TV getting pissed I'd have thought...

Keep it up fella!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

9 mile run this morning 

Not to be sniffed at in this weather.

I really find that going for a run when it's pretty hot really helps me cope with the heat the rest of the time.  No idea if this is physiological or psychological.

If anybody wants to give this a go, please make sure you're properly hydrated as well as being in decent nick.  I've got properly dehydrated after running in high temperatures, and it really is not nice at all, and there have been enough heart attacks amongst the people I know (that aren't even that much older than me), thank you

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Nice one Bob :thumbup:

After my Spin class this morning I was talking to the guy who ran it (as he was picking me up of the floor :D) I asked him if it was doing me any good as I'm getting on a bit and he said that any exercise at our age is a good thing.

I'm noticing I can't run or cycle anywhere near as quick as I could in my 20's but I feel better knowing that I'm at least doing something to raise my heart rate and get my blood pumping. Has to be better than sat at home in front of the TV getting pissed I'd have thought...

Keep it up fella!

As you get older, resistance training is just as important as cardio to prevent loss of bone density, so don't neglect the weights, bro.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Buce said:

As you get older, resistance training is just as important as cardio to prevent loss of bone density, so don't neglect the weights, bro.

Yeah I’m giving the weights a go too bro but I get a bit disheartened watching blokes around me lifting four times as much as I am :o

I know I’ll never be Mr Universe and I just don’t eat enough to really put any bulk on. I’m starting to see a bit of definition which is encouraging but guess I’m just the Bruce Lee body type :D

4 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Yeah I’m giving the weights a go too bro but I get a bit disheartened watching blokes around me lifting four times as much as I am :o

I know I’ll never be Mr Universe and I just don’t eat enough to really put any bulk on. I’m starting to see a bit of definition which is encouraging but guess I’m just the Bruce Lee body type :D

It doesn't need to be heavy weights, mate. I don't train for bulk, either, just for strength and lean body mass.

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Think yourself lucky. I'm more Rusty Lee's body type these days.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

9 mile run this morning 

9 miles isn’t decent let alone in this weather. Well done.

I ran 4K on my lunch today, haven’t been feeling too good so I took it steady but even that was hard work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buce said:

4 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Do you even lift bro?

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Do you even lift bro?

I'm not really sure what that means mate :D

I do bicep curls sets with dumbbells and ones where you sit down on a bench and lift them up above your head if that counts?

Image result for dumbbell shoulder press

I also lie flat on the bench and do barbell push ups like this

Image result for barbell bench press

Is that the same as 'lifting'? :dunno:

7 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I'm not really sure what that means mate :D

I do bicep curls sets with dumbbells and ones where you sit down on a bench and lift them up above your head if that counts?

Image result for dumbbell shoulder press

I also lie flat on the bench and do barbell push ups like this

Image result for barbell bench press

Is that the same as 'lifting'? :dunno:

It’s what the cool kids say to each other. Nice one, more than I do weights wise at the minute.

Now I’ve finished insanity I’m just doing cardio.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s what the cool kids say to each other. Nice one, more than I do weights wise at the minute.

Now I’ve finished insanity I’m just doing cardio.

This Spin class I did this morning was the first proper cardio stuff I've done for years. I went home feeling all proud of myself and then suddenly felt completely wiped out. Went upstairs for a little lie down and then woke up three hours later lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

This Spin class I did this morning was the first proper cardio stuff I've done for years. I went home feeling all proud of myself and then suddenly felt completely wiped out. Went upstairs for a little lie down and then woke up three hours later lol

Lol been there before.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Not to be sniffed at in this weather.

I really find that going for a run when it's pretty hot really helps me cope with the heat the rest of the time.  No idea if this is physiological or psychological.

If anybody wants to give this a go, please make sure you're properly hydrated as well as being in decent nick.  I've got properly dehydrated after running in high temperatures, and it really is not nice at all, and there have been enough heart attacks amongst the people I know (that aren't even that much older than me), thank you

Bit of science here, being fitter in general allows your body to be able to regulate itself better, therefore your body temperature will be lower in higher temperatures. It's why obese, unfit people sweat more in this weather. 

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Bit of science here, being fitter in general allows your body to be able to regulate itself better, therefore your body temperature will be lower in higher temperatures. It's why obese, unfit people sweat more in this weather. 

I always assumed that was because they had a layer of blubber insulating them.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Raj said:

Always find it difficult to differentiate between knowing when I can't be arsed to exercise due to lack of energy or if my body really does need a rest.

Force yourself to exercise and if it hurts then you probably need a rest. 

8 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Force yourself to exercise and if it hurts then you probably need a rest. 

Always try but as you know sometimes it's the mental state saying "Enough mate I need a rest!!"

It's having a few days off without feeling guilty that I find hard!!!

Edited by Raj