Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Costock_Fox

Exercise

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2018 at 22:27, Izzy Muzzett said:

This may have been asked on here before but to those who go to the gym regularly, how many different types of 'days' do you do?

My PT has given me a training plan bu there's SIX different types of 'days' which seems excessive and rather complicated to me -

1:Quads & Calves 2:Chest 3:Hamstrings & Glutes 4:Shoulders 5:Back 6:Arms

If I could get to the gym every day then I could just about cover it all but that only allows for one rest day so it doesn't seem realistic. For each area/day he's given me 5 different things to do so there's 30 different bit's of equipment/execrcises to master which is confusing the fvck out of me tbh.

So do any of you 'combine' the above into maybe 2 or 3 different days? He also says I shouldn't do triceps & chest or shoulders & triceps exercises on the same day for example so I'm disappearing up my own arse a bit.

Any tips on keeping it simple would be appreciated!!

Very late reply lol

Yeah, 6 days is excessive! Maybe if you're a professional bodybuilder, but that's fairly pointless for a regular gym user. If you were only going 3 times a week, then you'd only hit a muscle group twice a month. You're much better being able to train the same muscle group twice in a week if you can.

As someone said earlier, PPL (Push/Pull/Legs) is generally good. Means you can hit everything twice in a week if you need to.

I run something slightly different. I have a 3 day on / one day off program, and my main focuses are.

1. Chest and Triceps

2. Back and Biceps

3. Shoulders and Legs

4. Rest day

I'll then work some of the other bits and bobs (like crunches / planks / calf raises, etc.)  across the different days. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Very late reply lol

Yeah, 6 days is excessive! Maybe if you're a professional bodybuilder, but that's fairly pointless for a regular gym user. If you were only going 3 times a week, then you'd only hit a muscle group twice a month. You're much better being able to train the same muscle group twice in a week if you can.

As someone said earlier, PPL (Push/Pull/Legs) is generally good. Means you can hit everything twice in a week if you need to.

I run something slightly different. I have a 3 day on / one day off program, and my main focuses are.

1. Chest and Triceps

2. Back and Biceps

3. Shoulders and Legs

4. Rest day

I'll then work some of the other bits and bobs (like crunches / planks / calf raises, etc.)  across the different days. 

Thanks mate :thumbup:

I've kinda settled on PPL and try to do each twice a week. I'm still using my PT who has helped me simplify it somewhat now and I'm happy that I'm targeting and covering the main muscle groups.

What's interesting is the amount of focus he puts on the back/lats. I didn't realise how important they were but apparently if I want to 'look' bigger/broader then these muscles are pretty key.

I've put on 4kg since I started in May and also starting to see improvements in definition now. I've definitely got the 'bug' and feel like I'm going backwards if I have a rest day lol Also doing Pilates twice a week which is helping my core so it's all good. Cheers :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bump.

I am currently struggling for motivation on this. I started going to the gym on my lunch break but as I only have an hour I can only really exercise for 20 minutes to allow me time to shower and eat after.

I tend to be at my best when I have something to focus on and currently I have nothing therefore I can feel myself slipping backwards and putting a bit of weight back on.

Has anyone got any ideas of fitness challenges I could look into? I struggle to see how I would get myself round a marathon so that’s probably a non starter but it would be great to hear anyone’s ideas for challenges/events that will keep me off my arse and getting fat.

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bump.

I am currently struggling for motivation on this. I started going to the gym on my lunch break but as I only have an hour I can only really exercise for 20 minutes to allow me time to shower and eat after.

I tend to be at my best when I have something to focus on and currently I have nothing therefore I can feel myself slipping backwards and putting a bit of weight back on.

Has anyone got any ideas of fitness challenges I could look into? I struggle to see how I would get myself round a marathon so that’s probably a non starter but it would be great to hear anyone’s ideas for challenges/events that will keep me off my arse and getting fat.

A marathon is a hell of a goal, particularly if you're not really a runner already. Realistically it'd probably take about a year to get to a point where you're well-trained for one (maybe less if the goal is to just finish, regardless of time).

How about a Tough Mudder/Wolf Run, etc? Usually around 10k distance although that's obviously broken up so the running part wouldn't be that bad, and any strength training you do will help with the obstacles themselves. Meant to be good fun, too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bump.

https://www.bigbearevents.net/events/panels

I've done a couple of these above as little events to aim toward....

Also, go to Runners world website and look by region.... if theres only a few in Leicestershire extend to local counties and you'll have something each month or so to go do.

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/event/search?type=exp_eevents_event_details&dates=2018-12-07,&venue_county=96&sort=date

• Thanks 1

I've done really well with dieting this year - lost approx 30-35 pounds and have just recently crept back into the top end of a 'normal' BMI.

This has been achieved almost entirely through diet - I've always been pretty active even when I more was more of a chubby funster, playing football a couple of times a week along with other bits here and there.

I know BMI is only one metric but I think I'm what you might term skinnyfat - a flabby, noticeable paunch around the gut but just about a normal weight. From what I understand, resistance training should help out with this. I'd like to get back in the gym, but I'm really struggling with energy levels. I think I need to up the calories but I want to keep losing weight until i'm firmly in the middle of a healthy weight.

Any tips on how much I should be eating so I can get in an intense lifting session without feeling utterly sapped about three reps in? I went through a bit of a bulking phase a few years ago so I know what it feels like lifting heavy weights when you're getting plenty of calories - a damn site better!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I've done really well with dieting this year - lost approx 30-35 pounds and have just recently crept back into the top end of a 'normal' BMI.

This has been achieved almost entirely through diet - I've always been pretty active even when I more was more of a chubby funster, playing football a couple of times a week along with other bits here and there.

I know BMI is only one metric but I think I'm what you might term skinnyfat - a flabby, noticeable paunch around the gut but just about a normal weight. From what I understand, resistance training should help out with this. I'd like to get back in the gym, but I'm really struggling with energy levels. I think I need to up the calories but I want to keep losing weight until i'm firmly in the middle of a healthy weight.

Any tips on how much I should be eating so I can get in an intense lifting session without feeling utterly sapped about three reps in? I went through a bit of a bulking phase a few years ago so I know what it feels like lifting heavy weights when you're getting plenty of calories - a damn site better!

It’s more about where you get your calories from than how many carbs you eat. Lay off the sugar, white rice, white flour and instead eat whole grains which will give you a sustained energy release. 

5 hours ago, Xen said:

A marathon is a hell of a goal, particularly if you're not really a runner already. Realistically it'd probably take about a year to get to a point where you're well-trained for one (maybe less if the goal is to just finish, regardless of time).

How about a Tough Mudder/Wolf Run, etc? Usually around 10k distance although that's obviously broken up so the running part wouldn't be that bad, and any strength training you do will help with the obstacles themselves. Meant to be good fun, too.

Thanks. I have done a couple of the mud runs before and they are good fun but I don’t think it’s that much of a challenge so won’t keep me motivated.

At them kind of events you spend 10 minutes between obstacles. I considered a mini triathalon but that is possibly too much.

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Thanks. I have done a couple of the mud runs before and they are good fun but I don’t think it’s that much of a challenge so won’t keep me motivated.

At them kind of events you spend 10 minutes between obstacles. I considered a mini triathalon but that is possibly too much.

I hate running and did a mini triathlon a couple of years ago and it was fine. Just enough of a challenge but not too difficult so could be what you're looking for.

I live in Sheffield and did the Hathersage Hilly which is just down the road in the peak district - I'd really recommend it. From memory, I think it was a 750m swim, 20k bike, and 7k run. It was hilly as the name suggests but I took my time and got round without too many problems - nearly drowned in the swim but that's mainly cos I went off way too quickly from the adrenaline and it threw me out. The swim bit is even in a lido ffs lol

1 hour ago, Buce said:

It’s more about where you get your calories from than how many carbs you eat. Lay off the sugar, white rice, white flour and instead eat whole grains which will give you a sustained energy release. 

I already eat whole grains in the main. Tbh I think I've answered my own question really - just eat more of the right stuff and accept the fact I won't continue to lose weight at the same pace.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Bump.

Have you looked into BMF?

I started it in September and go twice a week.

They are also a good gateway to things like the Spartan Race and Mud Monsters, which sound like the type of challenges that might appeal to you!

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Have you looked into BMF?

I started it in September and go twice a week.

They are also a good gateway to things like the Spartan Race and Mud Monsters, which sound like the type of challenges that might appeal to you!

I think I looked into Spartan Race a while back, what is BMF? 

5 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I think I looked into Spartan Race a while back, what is BMF? 

British Military Fitness

I spend a couple of evenings a week face down in a muddy puddle getting shouted at by ex soldiers

You pay a monthly subscription and can go as many times in a week as you want. I do Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and the occasional Sunday morning. 

Really good social scene at mine as well - I assume that they’re all quite similar. 

Highly recommend it! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg_fried_rice said:

I hate running and did a mini triathlon a couple of years ago and it was fine. Just enough of a challenge but not too difficult so could be what you're looking for.

I live in Sheffield and did the Hathersage Hilly which is just down the road in the peak district - I'd really recommend it. From memory, I think it was a 750m swim, 20k bike, and 7k run. It was hilly as the name suggests but I took my time and got round without too many problems - nearly drowned in the swim but that's mainly cos I went off way too quickly from the adrenaline and it threw me out. The swim bit is even in a lido ffs lol

That sounds like exactly what I am looking for other than the drowning part tbf lol cheers

57 minutes ago, Milo said:

British Military Fitness

I spend a couple of evenings a week face down in a muddy puddle getting shouted at by ex soldiers

You pay a monthly subscription and can go as many times in a week as you want. I do Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and the occasional Sunday morning. 

Really good social scene at mine as well - I assume that they’re all quite similar. 

Highly recommend it! ?

Nice one, sounds horrific haha.

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Nice one, sounds horrific haha.

It has its moments!

I needed something like this, tbh. Gyms don’t really do it for me, and I get a bored just running. 

The BMF sessions are all outdoors and pretty varied - this week was circuit and shuttle runs on Tuesday and cardio and boxing on Thursday. 

Its cold, dark, wet, muddy and fab