Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

New Statue

This is just crying out to be made into a statue....

banks_shilton.jpg.7046de209f523ee2074f1c6f36da85a7.jpg

It's symbolic of passing on from the old to the new and the longevity of the club. A theme used in the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

This sounds like a project the Mercury might get involved in given they have previous experience of a sporting statue in the town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

This is just crying out to be made into a statue....

banks_shilton.jpg.7046de209f523ee2074f1c6f36da85a7.jpg

It's symbolic of passing on from the old to the new and the longevity of the club. A theme used in the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

This sounds like a project the Mercury might get involved in given they have previous experience of a sporting statue in the town.

Nottingham Forest & stoke legends.

4 hours ago, Ted Maul said:

Should have built it when we moved in. Still, if we want more nods back to our history around the ground, the bloke epitomised what we were about for the best part of 2 decades.

Playing in the Second Division and getting red cards?

I love Walsh but there's a lot of ridiculous romance about him from exactly the same people who slaughter those romancing King.

Walsh was a Second Division player who had one good season in the top flight (96-97), used to get slaughtered by fans and many wanted him sold during the Pleat era.

I get he was great in the Second Division under Little and in O'Neill's first season in the top flight before being phased out for Elliott, Taggart and Prior (and later Sinclair) but he shouldn't be anywhere near statue level. 

We've had many better players than him and many who've achieved more and been here longer.

47 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I love Walsh but there's a lot of ridiculous romance about him from exactly the same people who slaughter those romancing King.

Walsh was a Second Division player who had one good season in the top flight (96-97), used to get slaughtered by fans and many wanted him sold during the Pleat era.

I get he was great in the Second Division under Little and in O'Neill's first season in the top flight before being phased out for Elliott, Taggart and Prior (and later Sinclair) but he shouldn't be anywhere near statue level. 

We've had many better players than him and many who've achieved more and been here longer.

Got to disagree with this and particularly the last paragraph! He's pretty high up on the list of record appearances for us (top 5 off the top of my head) and captained us in two league Cup finals - lifting the trophy in one. He scored in two play off finals (I'll never forget his double against the sheep sha***rs) and captained us in another- again lifting the trophy. Scored numerous goals as a centre half and even had one glorious season as a striker.  I don't think that there's many players who have achieved anywhere near what he did whilst at Leicester and many of my best memories involved him. I'd take a statue of Walshy lifting the league cup (alongside Wes lifting the Prem and Banks lifting the World Cup). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Not this again.  I always bite.

Walsh was a stalwart and captain for all of O'Neill's three premier league season's and already in his mid thirties and dogged with injuries.  It was Walsh, Elliott, Taggart, that I remember, not Elliott, Taggart, Prior (who left in 1998 after 2yrs and made less premier league appearances (64/0 goals) than Walsh at Leicester - (88/8 goals).   Very unfair to call him a second division player.

So who has achieved more and been here longer?   King?  Hasn't been here longer and made less appearances.  Achieved more?  Well he won the title but was that really his doing? Only really a starter for the league one championship whereas we all know what Walshy did to win play offs and league cups.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, murphy said:

Walsh was a stalwart and captain for all of O'Neill's three premier league season's and already in his mid thirties and dogged with injuries.  It was Walsh, Elliott, Taggart, that I remember, not Elliott, Taggart, Prior (who left in 1998 after 2yrs and made less premier league appearances (64/0 goals) than Walsh at Leicester - (88/8 goals).   Very unfair to call him a second division player.

So who has achieved more and been here longer?   King?  Hasn't been here longer and made less appearances.  Achieved more?  Well he won the title but was that really his doing? Only really a starter for the league one championship whereas we all know what Walshy did to win play offs and league cups.

Graham Cross off the top of my head for one achieved more, played more and was a better player too but no one would suggest a statue of him because people recognise there were still better players who played for the club. Someone like Arthur Chandler also indoubtably fits into that category too.

Yes, Walsh made more PL appearances than Prior because he was around much longer and Walsh most certainly did look past his best and was phased out and Walsh was only a regular starter in the top flight in both 94-95 (in which he looked largely out of his depth) and 96-97.

That's not to say he didn't still play after that or didn't have good games but he certainly wasn't first choice and Elliott and Taggart certainly were clearly better than him by that point.

It's not unfair to say Walsh had only one good season in the top flight at all.

Again, please don't say I'm not saying Walsh wasn't good for us or shouldn't be lionised. What I am saying is he is absolutely nowhere neaf the best or most iconic player in the club's 134 year history. People just remember him because a lot of fans now grew up when he was a permanent fixture in the side - my criticism was I often see the same people lionising Walsh and criticising King but It's the same thing. Walsh was a hero in the Second tier, but in the top flight he was often a bit part player and he probably isn't even in the top 100 Leicester players in terms of actually ability and performances on the pitch. And while that doesn't mean he can't still be loved by fans, he's nowhere near "build a statue after him" or "name a stand after him".

In 25 years time when most fans are too young to have seen him play he'll just be another name like a Mike Stringfellow or someone - uncountably a great player to those who saw him play, but clearly not the historical relevance of Arthur Chandler or Gordon Banks. Walsh just had that now because most of us saw him play.

Someone like Jamie Vardy however clearly will have that historical relevance.

Statues will still be there in 50 years time - they should be of someone who will still be remembered then, Walsh will be forgotten and simply won't fit into that category. Someone lile Vardy will be.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

Well yes king scored some pretty important goals in getting us up from both divisions, keeping us in the league and stepped up when we won the league. I don't know why both can't go looked at as legends as both were brilliant club players that did great things for Leicester city. 

14 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Graham Cross off the top of my head for one achieved more, played more and was a better player too but no one would suggest a statue of him because people recognise there were still better players who played for the club. Someone like Arthur Chandler also indoubtably fits into that category too.

Yes, Walsh made more PL appearances than Prior because he was around much longer and Walsh most certainly did look past his best and was phased out and Walsh was only a regular starter in the top flight in both 94-95 (in which he looked largely out of his depth) and 96-97.

That's not to say he didn't still play after that or didn't have good games but he certainly wasn't first choice and Elliott and Taggart certainly were clearly better than him by that point.

Again, please don't say I'm not saying Walsh wasn't good for us or shouldn't be lionised. What I am saying is he is absolutely nowhere neaf the best or most iconic player in the club's 134 year history. People just remember him because a lot of fans now grew up when he was a permanent fixture in the side - my criticism was I often see the same people lionising Walsh and criticising King but It's the same thing. Walsh was a hero in the Second tier, but in the top flight he was often a bit part player and he probably isn't even in the top 100 Leicester players in terms of actually ability and performances on the pitch. And while that doesn't mean he can't still be loved by fans, he's nowhere near "build a statue after him" or "name a stand after him".

In 25 years time when most fans are too young to have seen him play he'll just be another name like a Mike Stringfellow or someone - uncountably a great player to those who saw him play, but clearly not the historical relevance of Arthur Chandler or Gordon Banks. Walsh just had that now because most of us saw him play.

Statues will still be there in 50 years time - they should be of someone who will still be remembered then, Walsh will be forgotten and simply won't fit into that category. Someone lile Vardy will be.

I think the point of a statue is more to commemorate the title than recognising individual players.

14 hours ago, Sampson said:

I think we will agree to differ on whether Walsh was effective in the premier league although far from being phased out he made more appearances in O'Neill's 2nd prem season than first and was captain for the entirety including 97 and 99 cup finals.  His body let him down at times unfortunately but if he was fit he was first choice.

Anyway, I think you're missing the point.  I'm sure that there are better players in our history but Walsh, like it or not, has passed into legend and folklore for his charisma, leadership and attitude on the pitch.  His feud with Bull, his monumental achievement dragging a team of donkeys over the line at Wembley with his two goals against bitter rivals and hot favourites Derby.  His lifting another play off final trophy (Palace) and league cup with assists, his Roy of the Rovers style conversion to striker, who could forget Arsenal 3-3 and also the temperament - the 11 match ban (David Geddes) and record 11 red cards.  It all adds to the legend.

He embodied the club.  How many other centre halves have their own songs ringing out every game?  There is a reason  he was chosen for the front cover of Fossils & Foxes.  He would run through a brick wall for the team and had that magic Botham-esque quality of being able to make things happen.  That's why he is no.1 club legend for many.

Spirit, desire, magic moments, Captain Fantastic.

Here, there, every fcking where!

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

It can only be one thing and I still maintain the answer is to go back to when all this recent triumph started.

Something only known and seen by us fans and the owners that will complex all outside of LCFC.

I present to you a giant bronze statue of:

" The Squirrel "

10 hours ago, Countryfox said:

This has been mentioned ..   but I think it would be good if the fans put in their 10p's worth about having a new statue when the stadium is extended.  We could deliver this as a petition and perhaps ask the 'Roof' boys to do something similar ..   and maybe get a bit of media coverage (there must be a few reporters on here).

For me there is only one statue that I would like to see ...  CR and Wes holding that trophy above their heads ...   the manager and the captain ...   what could be better than that ..  its iconic.   However, the reason for this thread before the poll/petition is done is to make sure we have all the possible alternatives on the list to vote for rather than 'none of the above' ...  so what else should we consider ??    And I really don't think it should be a statue of the owners ..   and I don't think it should even be an option in case a low vote would be considered an insult.   We can run this for a week or two then start the poll ...   over to you ! ...   :)

download.jpg

Leicester-Ranieri.jpg

I'm not sure that delivering this as a petition is the right approach. Sounds like a demand and would probably get a negative response from the owners. A petition is normally raised to overturn a decision but in this case there hasn't been one.

Surely it would be better to approach Khun Top with an idea that fans will appreciate and you never know, might agree that it's a good PR exercise. They might even chip in as they have shown over the years their generousity towards fans and our city.

Do King Power own the land immediately outside of the stadium where the statue might be located ??

• Like 2