Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

26 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Do you not worry that you're basically just signing a lot of unproven, over hyped players for astronomical fees so Mendez can cash in? 

You must surely appreciate he doesn't actually give two ****s about Wolves, right? 

30-40m for Cancelo is ludicrous really, Mendez will take an incredible percentage of that. 

Unproven and over hyped? 

Patricio - Portugal No.1, European Champion, plays in the Champions League. Top 10 Prem player. Better than John Ruddy that's for sure! 

Cancelo - Was playing for Inter in the Champions League. Juve interested too. More caps and goals for Portugal than Pereira (yes it's strange he wasn't picked, but then Santos makes some odd decisions). Easily a top 10 Prem player. 

Guedes - PSG/Valencia. Champions League. Clearly a top 6 player. Out of our league but you never know with Mendes pulling strings.

Silva - Portugal's main central striker. Plenty of Champions League and Europa League experience. Struggled at Milan so jury's out. 

Overpriced, maybe. But that's the stupid football market nowadays. Overhyped, hardly! 

Edited by The Bear

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Unproven and over hyped? 

Patricio - Portugal No.1, European Champion, plays in the Champions League. Top 10 Prem player. Better than John Ruddy that's for sure!  

Cancelo - Was playing for Inter in the Champions League. Juve interested too. More caps and goals for Portugal than Pereira (yes it's strange he wasn't picked, but then Santos makes some odd decisions). Easily a top 10 Prem player.  

Guedes - PSG/Valencia. Champions League. Clearly a top 6 player. Out of our league bit you never know with Mendes pulling strings. Top 6 player. 

Silva - Portugal's main central striker. Plenty of Champions League and Europa League experience. Struggled at Milan so jury's out. 

Overpriced, maybe. But that's the stupid football market nowadays. Overhyped, hardly! 

These are all my Fifa signings:D

I think Wolves will be fine next season, a couple of players will flop but the majority will be good players once they settle in.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

What is happening at Wolves is one of the strangest things that has happened in English football for some time, it's not as bad as the club who were bought by the firm that never existed but it's close, but as soon as President Xi realises currency manipulation can only go so far and the trouble free way of moving out Chinese capital at the minute doesn't hurt his economy he'll end it. Chinese investment into European football could collapse overnight if he decides this isn't working and one day he will, the end game has always been to make China a football superpower, soon as he knows this isn't the way to do it you'll see the money very quickly repatriated.

It's guaranteed to end in tears eventually for Wolves, as do all fairytales promised by things that don't actually exist, but they'll have some good times along the way. I suppose it beats watching Rob Taylor up front - even if you are now a toy of the Chinese government and a wealthy Portuguese agent rather than a football club.

Chinese are already pulling out of investing in European football. But our owners won't be affected as all their assets are not Chinese owned. It's all European and international companies like Club Med, Cirque De Soleil etc. 

All agents skim money off for themselves. It's not just Mendes FFS. It's happening at every club in Europe. Leicester let Mendes take £4m+ for Adrien Silva for starters. If he gets us players that keeps us in the Prem and pushing for top 10 I couldn't care less tbh. It's not my money. And the Chinese owners know exactly what's happening. They are in bed with Mendes and won't be shy of chucking him and other agents silly money to make us a big Global brand (which is what they are after ultimately). To them it's just a business plan which raises their profile. 

13 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Unproven and over hyped? 

Guedes - PSG/Valencia. Champions League. Clearly a top 6 player. Out of our league but you never know with Mendes pulling strings.

Unproven as in people like Islam Slimani scored 40 odd goals in the Portuguese League only to be ****ing dreadful over here.

Guedes couldn't make any sort of dent in the French league but has gone to Valencia and has done well. Bit difficult to say he could get into the sides currently occupying the top 6 in the PL.

Cancelo has been a pretty unremarkable right back in Serie A/La Liga for a while now. Hasn't kicked on from his potential. Juve are interested in a back up right back, not at 30m though lol

Silva - the jury isn't out. He just isn't good enough. He's Portugal's main striker because their other striker is Eder.

Patricio, in my books, would be a good signing for a PL side for the right price.

These are all unproven and overhyped players.

Edited by AKCJ

Be interesting if the Wolves' manager is tempted elsewhere or sacked for a bad start. How would the Portuguese contingent take to a new non-Portuguese manager?

I suppose Carlos Carvahal is available at the moment? Or could Mourinho be tempted?:)

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Chinese are already pulling out of investing in European football. But our owners won't be affected as all their assets are not Chinese owned. It's all European and international companies like Club Med, Cirque De Soleil etc. 

All agents skim money off for themselves. It's not just Mendes FFS. It's happening at every club in Europe. Leicester let Mendes take £4m+ for Adrien Silva for starters. If he gets us players that keeps us in the Prem and pushing for top 10 I couldn't care less tbh. It's not my money. And the Chinese owners know exactly what's happening. They are in bed with Mendes and won't be shy of chucking him and other agents silly money to make us a big Global brand (which is what they are after ultimately). To them it's just a business plan which raises their profile. 

Oh believe me I have grave doubts about what we are doing and I hate the fact we've gone into that World of overpaying for shit. It won't end well and I realise we are a toy of King Power that could collapse at any minute. I'm amazed at how little attention has been given to the Premier League TV deal sales being lower than previous, clubs are spending money like it doubled again rather than stagnated.

Wolverhampton is never going to be a "global brand" either, every single club in the country who gets some foreign investment now assumes this is possible, it just isn't, those first few clubs like Man City and Chelsea managed it without the history, we couldn't even make steps towards being that after winning the league. If there business plan is to overspend to try and make Wolverhampton Wanderers a global force you will end up in serious bother.

I'd wager good money Jorge Mendes will be wealthier than your football club in two decades.

Nuno has already turned down Everton last season. I guess he knows his bread is well buttered at Wolves for the time being. His own squad already and potentially unlimited funds with a chance to prove himself in England. If he doesn't do well enough in the Prem he'll move on either way. 

7 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Adrien Silva parted ways with Jorge Mendes two years ago.

Any outstanding transfer fee fraction open for debate is the subject of controversy between Mendes and Sporting CP.

https://www.101greatgoals.com/news/jorge-mendes-loses-three-high-profile-sporting-cp-clients-quick-succession-correio-da-manha/

48 minutes ago, The Bear said:

20/1 to sign Ronaldo ;)

Being linked with Guedes of PSG now today for €45m. But that's probably paper talk to force Valencia into bidding for him. 

You can have Musa for a cut price £25m

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Oh believe me I have grave doubts about what we are doing and I hate the fact we've gone into that World of overpaying for shit. It won't end well and I realise we are a toy of King Power that could collapse at any minute. I'm amazed at how little attention has been given to the Premier League TV deal sales being lower than previous, clubs are spending money like it doubled again rather than stagnated.

Wolverhampton is never going to be a "global brand" either, every single club in the country who gets some foreign investment now assumes this is possible, it just isn't, those first few clubs like Man City and Chelsea managed it without the history, we couldn't even make steps towards being that after winning the league. If there business plan is to overspend to try and make Wolverhampton Wanderers a global force you will end up in serious bother.

I'd wager good money Jorge Mendes will be wealthier than your football club in two decades.

Well, our fans' numbers across the globe have risen by a factor of 13 compared to our Championship days (from half a million to currently 6.5m), so I can't agree with that claim. It's going to take a while for it to become a tangible element in our commercial success. Consistency is the key, that's why the club has to stay and that's why the owners are so keen on keeping us in the Premier League.

And Manchester United and the likes pretty much have a 20-year long headstart, by being a consistent factor in this division.

Edited by MC Prussian

4 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Nuno has already turned down Everton last season. I guess he knows his bread is well buttered at Wolves for the time being. His own squad already and potentially unlimited funds with a chance to prove himself in England. If he doesn't do well enough in the Prem he'll move on either way. 

He's already at a club willing to spend 40m on his average/good players. Why bother going to Everton where they're probably not willing to do that?

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Well, our fans' numbers across the globe have risen by a factor of 15 compared to our Championship days (from half a million to currently 6.5m),

Where is that figure from out of interest?

19 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Unproven and over hyped? 

You're talking to Leicester fans. 

You're going to have a hard time convincing us "stars" from the Portuguese league are going to give you instant results in the Prem. 

Slimani smashed Liga Nos to bits, they call him the Dragonslayer for his destruction of Porto. Adrien Silva was the captain of Sporting and one of the two two or three midfielders in the division - considered much better than Ruben Neves. 

Both have struggled massively to make any impact here. 

If you lump 35-40 on Cancelo you'll be making him one of the most expensive full backs in the world and why? Because Mendez. 

Andre Silva has one half decent season in Liga Nos (where he's scored less goals than Slimani) and flopped in Italy. You're looking at chucking 40 at him? Why? Because Mendez. 

I'm not trying to wind you up or be deliberately alarmist but do you not think you're being a bit of an ostrich? 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

And Manchester United and the likes pretty much have a 20-year long headstart, by being a consistent factor in this league.

lol lol Man u Liverpool have a 60yr start. Yes Chelsea and Man C maybe but lol lol 

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Social Media - Facebook.

That's not really a good barometer of judging fans is it? We'll lose about 3million of them when Mahrez goes.

By this logic if we signed Virat Kohli that would probably make us the biggest supported club in the World.

For what it's worth I think we're probably better off keeping quiet about Wolves until we see how they actually get on. Given that we are dogshit as long as they don't go down they're likely to finish above us.

Obviously what they've done is in pretty bad taste and it will be funny if they fail, but you can't say most fans wouldn't go along with it if it was their club.

However, 'potentially unlimited funds' come on man.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

The Premier League is 25 years old, Sylo! lollol

Oh yes I forgot football did not exist before then. Feck sake what did I used to do on all them Saturdays in the 70/80's.

I must have been a right boring fecker.

Just now, MattP said:

That's not really a good barometer of judging fans is it? We'll lose about 3million of them when Mahrez goes.

By this logic if we signed Virat Kohli that would probably make us the biggest supported club in the World.

It's a very good barometer. Because these numbers are pretty much genuine.

Don't underestimate the impact of Social Media these days. I just think our club isn't quite there yet at handling it professionally enough.

As for the Mahrez part - lol. I see where you're coming from, but the change in numbers wouldn't be so drastic and likely to be compensated by whomever we sign next.

We surely have a decent Portuguese following and should we get Felipe Anderson, Hazard or any other high-profile foreign player, new fans, their respective fans, will join in flocks.

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Oh yes I forgot football did not exist before then. Feck sake what did I used to do on all them Saturdays in the 70/80's.

I must have been a right boring fecker.

I know.

You were probably inundated with Chinese, Japanese, German, Italian, American and Algerian LCFC fans back before football was created also, weren't you?

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It's a very good barometer. Because these numbers are pretty much genuine.

Don't underestimate the impact of Social Media these days. I just think our club isn't quite there yet at handling it professionally enough.

As for the Mahrez part - lol. I see where you're coming from, but the change in numbers wouldn't be so drastic and likely to be compensated by whomever we sign next.

We surely have a decent Portuguese following and should we get Felipe Anderson, Hazard or any other high-profile foreign player, new fans, their respective fans, will join in flocks.

Yeah great so your argument is lots of fans because of who plays for us.

So not really fans are they. Will they be here if we end up in div 1 again? NO

• Like 1

I can share @The Bear's optimism for next season, after all, they won the Championship title at a canter.

What you need to be aware of, though, is how you proceed from here.

The first season back in the Premier League, you can probably count on the euphoria and the togetherness of the Championship title-winning squad still.

The second year is when it gets more difficult and you search to find your place in the division.

We were lucky in that regard and many factors combined then gave us some of the best moments in our club's history.

What Wolves fans ought to worry about is being witnesses to a team built from scratch again, funded with millions from a dodgy agent, new players that need to gel first (unlike the core of our team that managed the Great Escape in 2014/15). You can talk and dream of big names and big bucks all you want to, but it's no guarantee for success in this league.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours next season as another Midlands club, but don't let cockiness get in your way.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Yeah great so your argument is lots of fans because of who plays for us.

So not really fans are they. Will they be here if we end up in div 1 again? NO

Not all of them are fans of players. Only a fraction.

Algerians mostly.