Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's not really a good barometer of judging fans is it? We'll lose about 3million of them when Mahrez goes.

By this logic if we signed Virat Kohli that would probably make us the biggest supported club in the World.

Tbf if Tendulkar just said he was a Leicester fan, we'd quadruple our overseas fan base within an hour. 

Actually that's an idea... ??

Edited by Finnegan

12 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

For what it's worth I think we're probably better off keeping quiet about Wolves until we see how they actually get on. Given that we are dogshit as long as they don't go down they're likely to finish above us.

Obviously what they've done is in pretty bad taste and it will be funny if they fail, but you can't say most fans wouldn't go along with it if it was their club.

However, 'potentially unlimited funds' come on man.

I think Wolves fans should be quiet about Wolves until they see how they get on. We won the Championship at a canter but only survived the following year with the greatest escape. Hope they get a rude awakening 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'm amazed at how little attention has been given to the Premier League TV deal sales being lower than previous

The premier league have made more packages available so naturally the existing ones will go for slightly cheaper

They still have two more packages to sell, goal clips and near live rebroadcasts to sell yet 

the thing wolves fans don’t seem to understand/seem to be willing to ignore is that if any of these players they’re linked to were actually any good they obviously wouldn’t be signing for wolves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bear's finding it hard to face reality because of how well his season went and I can't blame him, he's probably got slight concerns in the back of his mind but it won't be until the wheels come off that he'll come to terms with the fact Mendes is just exploiting his inept owners for the cheddar

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

the thing wolves fans don’t seem to understand/seem to be willing to ignore is that if any of these players they’re linked to were actually any good they obviously wouldn’t be signing for wolves. 

I'm not sure about that. They definitely signed top division players despite being in the second division, which is why they crushed the Championship so easily.

As it stands, the Wolves situation is a series of "convenient arrangements" for all involved. Mendes gets to showcase players on his books who are good / have potential to increase their price when bigger suitors come calling in the future. Wolves get access to good players who would normally be above their station who can improve their results in exchange. Players get a guarantee of playing in a team every week with a manager and style that can improve them and earn them a move to a bigger club. The whole thing is dodgier than Del Boy but it's definitely worked for them so far. Mendes is using them to increase his personal wealth no doubt about it though, and the whole thing could go south very quickly. The Leeds chairman that was prying about them was asking the right questions, because they have definitely found a way to exploit the system.

Modern Football is full of schemes like this. Chelsea have 40+ players out on loan across Europe and use that system to supplement their turnover as well as getting first dibs on talented young players. Man City sponsored themselves to beat FFP and out spend everyone else in the league. Even we can't claim to be squeeky clean given all of the complaints about our finances when in the Championship, even if we have now settled that issue. You almost have to do something like this to really compete given the money and high stakes involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm not sure about that. They definitely signed top division players despite being in the second division, which is why they crushed the Championship so easily.

As it stands, the Wolves situation is a series of "convenient arrangements" for all involved. Mendes gets to showcase players on his books who are good / have potential to increase their price when bigger suitors come calling in the future. Wolves get access to good players who would normally be above their station who can improve their results in exchange. Players get a guarantee of playing in a team every week with a manager and style that can improve them and earn them a move to a bigger club. The whole thing is dodgier than Del Boy but it's definitely worked for them so far. Mendes is using them to increase his personal wealth no doubt about it though, and the whole thing could go south very quickly. The Leeds chairman that was prying about them was asking the right questions, because they have definitely found a way to exploit the system.

Modern Football is full of schemes like this. Chelsea have 40+ players out on loan across Europe and use that system to supplement their turnover as well as getting first dibs on talented young players. Man City sponsored themselves to beat FFP and out spend everyone else in the league. Even we can't claim to be squeeky clean given all of the complaints about our finances when in the Championship, even if we have now settled that issue. You almost have to do something like this to really compete given the money and high stakes involved. 

yeah but my point was “the bear” is claiming they’re signing players who would walk into top 6 premier league sides. no player who could even get on the bench for a top six club would reject that chance to join wolves. 

the andre silva signing is about right. they’ll have an edge over teams like huddersfield, for sure. but he’s talking like they’re going to go toe-to-toe with man city in the transfer market and cristiano ronaldo is going to ignore the chance to win the quadruple playing under one of the greatest managers of all time, to join wolves because of some agent. 

if any team in the top 10 (bar probably burnley, although they’ve got european football so who knows) goes head to head with wolves to sign a player i’d be surprised if anyone chose wolves. more money, european football, better players around you, bigger clubs and better facities are not all going to be ignored by “top 6 players” for the sake of some dodgy portuguese agent. 

this debate is all ongoing whilst their only signing of note so far has been benik afobe, so it all seems a bit irrelevant atm. but never mind. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lildave3 said:

Lot of weird hate for Wolves in this thread. 

i actually quite like wolves, one of my good mates is a big fan and i spent a decent chunk of last season finding boozers with an extra screen so we could watch wolves instead of whatever the premier league/champions league match was. 

just dont like this bear character reckoning they’re going to start playing ultimate team and win the champions league. in fact i kinda do like that cos they deffo won’t and it’ll be funnier when he’s back posting in gen sport’s championship thread in a year or two. 

11 hours ago, BoyJones said:

Look mate, in the last 10 years, which fans have had the better ride? 

Teams rhat haven't been relegated are boring. You can't beat a promotion season. The away days are unforgettable. (I still remember vividly the journey home on the train from Portsmouth in 1971) 

Everton are a borong team with no ambition, except to stay on the gravy train. I was 56 and cried at Stoke, 10 years on (apart pfrom a desperately needed FA Cup win) its been an incredible ride - I would say better than any team in the world. 

Because so many of our new fans haven't experienced the incredoble disappointments associated with supporting the boys in blue, they can't take any set backs, without finding a scapegoat.

Anyway, Everton have a decent long term history, but there is no comparison in the last 20 years, which basically represents a generation. We have won five key trophies to their none - basically Everton are a club with no real ambition. They have developed a losing mentality and are very much second fiddle to the red half of their city.

Dont really know why I have typed this? Apologiesjust back from the pub!!

You know you what, I loved aways the football league. Yes, especially in League One, going to Cheltenham and Stockport and Oldham etc etc yeah it was great.

But would I want to do it again? Not really. I want to see us play at the highest level, against the best players in the World in superb grounds. 

What we've experienced in the last ten years - from relegation from the second division to winning the first division - is absolutely amazing. We've had the better ride by far but can we just take it easy for a while now... be a solid PL side and have a good go for domestic trophies and Europe.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lildave3 said:

Lot of weird hate for Wolves in this thread. 

Has there been as much boasting and crowing from fans of Fulham, Cardiff, and last year Huddersfield, Brighton or EVEN Newcastle?

Now, Wolves won't be treated like a normal promoted club and I think quite a few of the "smaller" teams like Burnley, Watford, B'mouth, Hudders will be putting in an extra 10% against Wolves.:)

Edited by lancyclaret
  • Like 2

Afobe is pretty bad at this level though. Like Ahmed Musa level bad. £12.5m is an incredible fee by Bournemouth. 

2 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

Has there been as much boasting and crowing from fans of Fulham, Cardiff, and last year Huddersfield, Brighton or EVEN Newcastle?

I agree. They are becoming unbearable.

Guest MattP

If they are buying Afobe they are surely already preparing for a return to the Championship? It makes no sense to buy him given how awful he has been in the top flight and that's even in an attacking team like Bournemouth.

Edited by MattP

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

i actually quite like wolves, one of my good mates is a big fan and i spent a decent chunk of last season finding boozers with an extra screen so we could watch wolves instead of whatever the premier league/champions league match was. 

just dont like this bear character reckoning they’re going to start playing ultimate team and win the champions league. in fact i kinda do like that cos they deffo won’t and it’ll be funnier when he’s back posting in gen sport’s championship thread in a year or two. 

I haven't said anything of the sort have I?! I'm just (naturally) quite excited at the calibre of player we're being linked with. 

I should probably just keep quiet until we actually sign someone tbf. 

Edited by The Bear

During an unexceptional lunch break that somehow resulted in looking at ex-United player Bebe's Wiki page - I never knew the whole backstory with him and Jorge Mendes etc. I'm sure we're no better, but the role of some agents in transfers is uncomfortable at best. 

Moving on, I am intrigued to see what Fulham do over the summer. You generally get two types of clubs promoted to the Premier League - one type whom is littered with Championship expertise (see Derby, Villa, Cardiff and Boro) and others with a distinct style and up and coming players (Fulham). Generally the former will splash the cash and need a decent overhaul, but the latter is torn between sticking with the tried and tested and bringing in proven Premier League quality. 

Going to be an interesting season; the sack race could make for interesting viewing too with so many potential new managers, already so at Everton, West Ham and Arsenal and very new at Southampton. You could even throw in Spurs and Chelsea depending on what happens at Real etc. 

Swiss international right-back Stephan Lichtsteiner (34) joins Arsenal on a one-year contract.

Good luck putting that name on your shirts, let alone trying to pronounce it correctly, dear Gunners fans. lol

56 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Is the surname 'Silva' to Portugal what 'Smith' is to England? 

Just curious like. 

More or less, it basically means 'woods' or 'forest'. A lot of Sporting fans have asked us to refer to Adrien by his first name because his surname is so incredibly common

Edited by lfu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

Don't think he's going that far, and I'm pretty sure he'll still be in the Premier League thread a few years down the line. 

3 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

Now, Wolves won't be treated like a normal promoted club and I think quite a few of the "smaller" teams like Burnley, Watford, B'mouth, Hudders will be putting in an extra 10% against Wolves.:)

How many of those teams have had multiple mid table at worst premier league quality players with the promise of spending millions on more?