Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Lets have a (Non Sport) Podcast thread

Second series of Gossipmongers, with Joe Wilkinson, Brian Gittins and Poppy Hillstead is causing me all sorts of laughter related problems. I expect I'll listen to the 'space worm' gossip repeatedly, it's marvelous.

Second series of obscene agony aunt podcast Dear Joan and Jericha is predictably brilliant and plumbs new depths of depravity

• 1 month later...

Just listened to the last Off Menu with Mike Skinner, had high hopes but it just had me on edge throughout, as if he was being purposefully awkward. Sounded as if he wanted to have a scrap with Acaster.

The one before that with an American comedian I hadn't heard of (Kemah Bob) was unlistenable she was that annoying. Been a tame series compared to the first run in general, but the last two have been really disappointing.

----

Elis and John are still great on 5Live and Matthew Crosby and Ed Gamble's Radio X pod is an hour or so of really easy listening.

1 hour ago, Soup said:

Tunnel 29 is excellent..In depth story about one of the many tunnels tug under the Berlin wall in the 60's. 

Was just about to post this as well. 

Only downside is that the episodes were too short (and BBC Sounds is appalling to navigate).

Was in Berlin last year, and I wish I’d known about this sort of thing before I went. 

Bonkers story, highly recommend 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Langston said:

Just listened to the last Off Menu with Mike Skinner, had high hopes but it just had me on edge throughout, as if he was being purposefully awkward. Sounded as if he wanted to have a scrap with Acaster.

The one before that with an American comedian I hadn't heard of (Kemah Bob) was unlistenable she was that annoying. Been a tame series compared to the first run in general, but the last two have been really disappointing.

Yeah I didn't enjoy the Mike Skinner one either. They went on about so much other stuff other than places he might have been to it got a bit boring and it was nowhere near as good as I thought it might have been. 

Think the guests on this series have been a bit more niche in the main. Some I'd never heard of. 

Kerry Godliman, Catherine Bohart and Daisy May Cooper episodes were good though. Overall more hit than miss. 

2 hours ago, Milo said:

Was just about to post this as well. 

Only downside is that the episodes were too short (and BBC Sounds is appalling to navigate).

Was in Berlin last year, and I wish I’d known about this sort of thing before I went. 

Bonkers story, highly recommend 👍

Agree on BBC sounds. It was much better before they revamped it.

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

Yeah I didn't enjoy the Mike Skinner one either. They went on about so much other stuff other than places he might have been to it got a bit boring and it was nowhere near as good as I thought it might have been. 

Think the guests on this series have been a bit more niche in the main. Some I'd never heard of. 

Kerry Godliman, Catherine Bohart and Daisy May Cooper episodes were good though. Overall more hit than miss. 

Loved the Daisy Cooper, Dara O'Briain episodes, and Tom Allen's and Catherine Bohart's were decent but the rest have been a bit boring for me. 

• 3 months later...

Light relief in these dark times can be enjoyed with the Jeremy Lion podcast.

A drunken children's entertainer may not be the most original premise ever but it's SO well done, and the songs in particular are just brilliant - an explainer of how astronauts go to the toilet in space featuring near scientific levels of detail is but one marvelous example.

The character's voice reminds me a bit of John Shuttleworth, and you can almost imagine them inhabiting the same universe, although Jeremy is a rather more depraved proposition

• Like 1

For those that like your true crime pods, then give COLD a go. 

It's very long, and pretty extensive but worth a listen nonetheless. 

It's about the disappearance of Susan Powell and her batshit creep of a husband Josh, his ever more creepy father who had an obsession with her, their oddball family, and the subsequent horrific crimes that meant that she'll likely never be found.

Edited by RoboFox

• 1 month later...
On 06/03/2020 at 13:58, Basingstoke Fox said:

For French / Spanish learners, the Duolingo podcasts are actually quite good. Some interesting stories and it definitely helps to listen to a range of accents depending on where the stories are based. Makes the morning rush hour commute more enjoyable.

How far into learning do you have to be. I'm at the early stage of French (remember very little from school), would these be a little advanced for me at the minute?

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

How far into learning do you have to be. I'm at the early stage of French (remember very little from school), would these be a little advanced for me at the minute?

Idk about the Duolingo podcasts but the Coffee Break podcasts are great alongside your learning, you can progress through them as you progress your learning so no worries about them being advanced. I used them for German and was pretty useful, maybe a bit tedious early depending on what you know already

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I waited a good few months before even trying them while learning some of the most common words in the language, along with various other verbs & adjectives (process still ongoing) which certainly helped. That said the narrator chimes in for context in English at least once per minute, so you can mostly make out what's going on, plus the episodes aren't not too long.

I think the best thing about them is that if you can't quite understand a word / sentence, you can rewind 15 seconds and listen again. Then if you still can't make out the word, rewind again until you do, which I think is supposed to help train your ear to listen to sounds you wouldn't normally hear otherwise. It helps that there are so many similarities in the words between Spanish & English though, not sure how that'll be for French.

It may be worth giving an episode a go, try listening to it by ear at first and then refer back to the transcript online afterwards to find any words you didn't understand & then go and learn those. Especially if you have more time on your hands with the current situation.

9 minutes ago, PAULCFC said:

Thx for that my 9 year old boy loves this.....guess it connects to my and his childish side!

On 06/03/2020 at 13:25, Bellend Sebastian said:

Light relief in these dark times can be enjoyed with the Jeremy Lion podcast.

A drunken children's entertainer may not be the most original premise ever but it's SO well done, and the songs in particular are just brilliant - an explainer of how astronauts go to the toilet in space featuring near scientific levels of detail is but one marvelous example.

The character's voice reminds me a bit of John Shuttleworth, and you can almost imagine them inhabiting the same universe, although Jeremy is a rather more depraved proposition

I'm a big fan of documentary style podcasts. I've listened to hundreds of hours on the journey to and from work. (Back in the days when we had to go to work!) .

By far the best one I've listened to was called "finding warhead". A journalist goes after one of the most prolific peadophiles on the dark web. It's sad, disturbing but utterly brilliant. 

Also an hounerable mention to "Caliphate" which was about an Isis fighter who ends up back in Canada. Bear Brook which was a true crime murder mystery spanning four decades and tunnel 29 which has already been mentioned. 

1 hour ago, PAULCFC said:

New episodes coming soon, apparently.

Now I'd have said it's very much NOT for kids, but my mate now has his ten year old running round singing 'How do you do your business on the moon?' so it's definitely not just you playing it to inappropriate audiences

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm fairly new to podcasts, and this one has been mentioned in this thread already, but I'm hooked on The Infinite Monkey Cage. Brian Cox has always been one of my favourite people. I've been listening to the series from the very beginning over the last couple of months. Can't get enough of it!

• Like 1

I don't know if there's any Band of Brothers fans across the pond, but the official podcast was launched by HBO to celebrate the show's 20th anniversary. Each episode of the podcast follows an episode of the show, and has interviews with a actor/writer/director from the show (Episode 0 - Tom Hanks, Episode 1 Ron Livingston, etc.). They're currently about 2/3 of the way through the mini-series.

• Thanks 1

If state sanctioned computer hacking, murder, smuggling, counterfeiting & the utterly brilliant song about CNC machines is your thing - The Lazarus Heist.  N Korea/CIA/FBI/Hollywood/Defectors/Nuclear weapons, it's all there.  Did I mention the CNC song?

• 4 months later...

Anyone listened to The Joe Marler Show? He's definitely taken one too many hard hits to the head during his rugby career, but his podcast has me in stitches. Particularly enjoyed one of the earlier episodes - About Astronauts, with Tim Peake