Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ozleicester

Lets have a (Non Sport) Podcast thread

Been listening to the 'Lex Fridman Podcast' quite a bit recently as I go to sleep.

Lex is a computer scientist with a laid back interview style, which makes it a very enjoyable experience to hear him and other various scientists, philosophers, writers and the like get into interesting topics of conversation.

His guests are often academics, but he occasionally breaks the mold for guests that are interesting to him. One that jumps out in this respect, was a conversation he had with Cmdr David Fravor regarding his now famous UAP encounter whilst flying for the Navy over in the USA.

It's all good stuff.

Edited by samlcfc

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, MPH said:

Any newer podcasts that anyone could recommend?

James English has some interesting guests, something for everyone. I listen to a lot of Joe Rogan but he has a lot of podcasts with American comediens and it can get a bit too much sometimes. I've listened to a few Steve-o ones too if you like him. Also Ross Kemp has some good ones. James English talks to Dan Mcgraffin who is an British bare knuckle boxer which was a very interesting podcast.  

• Like 1

On 28/10/2022 at 01:25, MPH said:

Any newer podcasts that anyone could recommend?

REAL ONES by Jon Bernthal is pretty interesting, I also quite like This Is Important by the Workaholics guys although it's pretty dependent on your sense of humour. 

Oh and The New Conspiracist is good as well.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

• 2 weeks later...

I've done around 100 Joe Rogan Podcasts covering all sorts of subjects but his latest one is up there with the best. He speaks to Graham Hancock and Randell Carlson about their new Netflix Documentary series Ancient Apocalypse. They also talk about the Younger Dryas impact hypothesis which is fascinating. Will dive in to the Netflix series asap.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2xvmTo09BFMd6tJfJPmmvT?si=iybbOSjMR0KqnD5hcTjhfw&utm_source=copy-link

Edited by Soup

On 11/11/2022 at 13:06, Soup said:

I've done around 100 Joe Rogan Podcasts covering all sorts of subjects but his latest one is up there with the best. He speaks to Graham Hancock and Randell Carlson about their new Netflix Documentary series Ancient Apocalypse. They also talk about the Younger Dryas impact hypothesis which is fascinating. Will dive in to the Netflix series asap.

Been listening to this on my way to and from work today.

Plenty of what those guys say sounds pretty far out and I'm fairly sure some of it could be discredited within a few hours of googling, but I'm definitely here for it lol I think I've listened to all the episodes he's released with those two guests.

Kinda how I feel about plenty of Joe Rogan's podcast episodes. I understand what plenty of people have against the guy and I've probably levelled some of the accusations against him myself in discussion, but it's like my version of watching trash TV.

I quite enjoy how Rogan's not got a clue what the hell he's talking about most of the time and just rolls with the conversation. It works well when he has celebrated academics or interesting celebrities on, and they're just basically teaching us or telling stories. Gives a relaxed vibe to the conversation.

Without thinking about it too much, I feel like Hancock and Carlson are fairly harmless even if what they're saying is complete rubbish. I don't often listen to episodes, where I feel the guests are extremely outspoken in an area that seems like they're plausibly spreading dangerous disinformation. His episodes on UFO's are always great ride. 

Edited by samlcfc

Recently stumbled on to Sara Pascoe's Sex Power Money. I find it quite interesting with some perspectives I've not considered before.

Probably not the kind of podcast for anyone who frequently uses terms like snowflake, woke or libtard.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to a podcast called True Spies by Spyscape.

True stories of Espionage etc at home and abroad.

Narrated by Hayley Atwell and Vanessa Kirby.

Around 130 odd Episode's and new episodes released every Tuesday.

I have enjoyed a good 3/4 of them, they are usually about 45 mins long.

On 21/03/2019 at 08:18, StanSP said:

Not sure if it's mentioned but Off Menu with James Acaster and Ed Gamble is really good. Have enjoyed listening to all the episodes so far. 

The latest series of this has been very good. They're that big now that they can choose decent guests rather than scrape around who's relevant. This series finished today with Stanley Tucci, they've had Taron Egerton too, some of the young comics have been very funny too.  

• 4 months later...

I’ve been listening to Sideways a lot recently…. Matthew Syed (fantastic journalist and ex table tennis champ)…. He takes interesting stories and then delves a little deeper to give them context and further meaning…. Fascinating listen that’s beautifully produced

i heard my first Snowcast podcast with Jon Snow…. Very good…. A lovely interview with Munya Chawawa who’s comes across as a lovely thoughtful bloke…

• 1 month later...

Technically sport I guess but Fit and Proper with Rhys James and Lloyd Griffith can be great depending on the guest. Gig Pigs with Ivo Graham is a good laugh too.

Not been into wrestling for about 20 years now but also found myself nodding off to What Happened When, the podcast with ex WCW commentator Tony Schiavone where he and the host go through old Nitros and PPVs, the eps are always about 2.5 hours long but they're great if you were ever into WCW or that wrestling boom period.

Joe Marler's podcast interviewing people about their careers is quite interesting, funny listen and learn some interesting things. 

Also a fan of "extraordinary lives", it's by lad Bible group so not the highest quality, but some pretty interesting stories on there

Apologies if this is repetition, but Diary of a CEO is very good. I tend to veer away from the 'how I got rich' episodes and prefer the stuff more leaning towards evidence based ways of being healthier and happier, but they always feel well done, inclusive and generally good for us. 

For those who like anything World War II related, now I'm two hundred episodes into Al Murray and James Holland's 'We Have Ways of Making You Talk' I can heartily recommend that.

It's a deep dive into every possible aspect you can think of, with lots of debate and enthusiasm and rarely gets too heavy or overly sentimental. Just listened to a fantastic episode about the history of Remembrance, which is absolutely fascinating and mercifully manages to completely avoid the poppy debate.

The podcast version of the Beeb's 'Uncanny' is also brilliant for anyone interested in the paranormal or mysterious things generally, with a healthy balance of inquiry and scepticism as well as being spookily entertaining, and is about the only thing I've listened to recently other than the above