Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Our Internationals 2018/19

Ryan Giggs calls up Leicester City duo to Wales squad
Danny Ward and Andy King in Giggs' squad for Nations League matches

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ryan-giggs-calls-up-leicester-1947546
ByJames Pallatt
11:31, 29 AUG 2018
SPORT

Leicester City duo Danny Ward and Andy King have been called up by Wales.

Wales boss Ryan Giggs has announced his first competitive squad ahead of the inaugural UEFA Nations League matches in September - and goalkeeper Ward, who made his debut for the Foxes in their Carabao Cup win against Fleetwood on Tuesday night, and King are both in it.

The 25-man squad will face the Republic of Ireland at home on September 6 before travelling to Aarhus to face Denmark on September 9.

These are Giggs’ first competitive games in charge of Wales, with the winner of the Group in the Nations League guaranteed a spot in the Euro 2020 play-offs.

10 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

Surely maddison  should be in ahead of lallana, he’s finished now.

Lallana has been incredible for a year and played out his skin .. Single handily got Liverpool to the champions league final and all sorts...

Edited by les-tah

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

well he's played well and scored more than 2 players in the squad have managed so I would argue he does if they are in

He played ok against Man U... the other two games he's done absolutely nothing other than a deflected goal. Troy Deeney probably deserved a call more than him.

The others have got history with the squad and god knows how many prem games where they have proven themselves. Players need to do more than play alright in one prem game to get a call up.

There'll always be a case for saying that Lallana has been injured and not played a lot. It would be a fallacy to compare him and Maddison at the moment though. When he was fit, Lallana had started to become a shoo-in for the national team as we lack players like him who are composed on the ball whilst also being creative. I'm not surprised he is in the squad. I'm also not surprised Maddison isn't.

I'd prefer Maddison to continue settling in to his new surroundings and concentrate on Leicester City for the meanwhile. If he keeps improving, he'll get his chance.

• Like 1

Bit disappointed for the lads, particularly Chilwell, but I actually think by the end of the season we could see Chilwell, Maddison and Gray in the squad alongside Maguire. This squad is fairly safe from Southgate.

10 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Bit disappointed for the lads, particularly Chilwell, but I actually think by the end of the season we could see Chilwell, Maddison and Gray in the squad alongside Maguire. This squad is fairly safe from Southgate.

He said during the press conference that he picked the squad in the summer because it as the best available and that not a great deal has changed since then. He said there are some other exciting youngsters they are looking at but it's come a bit early and there is still more to digest / discuss about the world cup with the group.

England squad looks horrific. Cant understand how Callum Wilson hasnt got in ahead of Welbeck and just picking one decent CM in Henderson when Bournemouth have another player, Lewis Cook who would improve the team. Six or seven wingbacks in there is overkill too.

Can understand Shaw over Chilly and no Foden for now but thats a lopsided ugly squad

I think the English team will come unstuck. They are not as good as their final position in the World Cup indicated. 

Kane can't score when the pressure is on and the midfield is meh. On top of that Southgate is a stick in the mud coach who doesn't know how to change. Sonner he's replaced the better and that'll probably happen after a miserable performance in the Euro finals.