Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

Many of Leicester City’s players have undertaken sessions with grief counsellors as the emotional impact of chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha’s death hits home.

Srivaddhanaprabha and four others were killed in a helicopter crash on Saturday evening in a tragedy which has left the Premier League club devastated.

It has emerged that members of Claude Puel’s squad have already taken up the offer of personal therapy and many of the players are thought to have found the sessions “helpful and cathartic” as they deal with the aftermath.

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, Vichai’s son who is the Leicester vice-chairman, has jetted into England from Thailand and held a number of meetings with Puel and the players. Though distraught at the loss of his father, it is understood he has reiterated his commitment to the former champions and declared his intention to build on the legacy of “The Boss”.

Puel, goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel and long-serving head physiotherapist David Rennie, also made speeches ahead of a short training session at the club’s training ground on Monday before arriving at the King Power Stadium in the afternoon.

The details of the speeches were kept private, but they are understood to have included rallying calls and a determination to honour the club’s beloved benefactor.

In emotional scenes on Monday afternoon, Aiyawatt, known at the club as “Top”, and Vichai’s widow, Aimon, laid a wreath in the centre circle of the pitch in front of players, coaches and club staff.

Some Leicester players, including Schmeichel, had earlier been in tears as they walked around the memorial outside the stadium with its row upon and row of wreathes and replica jerseys with messages from clubs up and down the country. Hundreds of fans also gathered to pay their respects.

A number of Leicester players have expressed their thoughts on social media. Harry Maguire, Leicester’s England defender, said: “Words can’t describe how I feel. A truly great, kind, loving man who will missed so much by everyone.”

Two other England internationals also posted heartfelt messages. Jamie Vardy said: “Struggling to find the right words. But to me you are a legend, an incredible man who had the biggest heart, the soul of Leicester City Football Club. Thank you for everything you did for me, my family and our club. I will truly miss you.”

Ben Chilwell said: “I can’t believe it. I’m heartbroken to hear that no one survived the crash.”

A decision will be made in the next 24 hours on whether Leicester’s Premier League game at Cardiff on Saturday will go ahead. Both the governing body and Cardiff are understood to be sympathetic but it is believed the game will not be postponed. Leicester’s Carabao Cup tie against Southampton, scheduled for Tuesday night, was cancelled over the weekend.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/leicester-city-players-undergo-grief-223000281.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

Just a quick practical question for visiting the KP - is there any parking at the stadium - i.e. the usual fanstore car park? I don't mind walking but I have a feeling the Mother in law will want to come and she can't walk far?

Wouldn't plan on that as it'll be busy. Try the gym / old staples car park. Or the Odeon / Pub Car park and pay or buy a coke and enter your car reg.

Of all the times the helicopter could have had a catastrophic failure it happened within a minute of taking off at the KP. Hard to stomach how he it was absolutely fine travelling all the way to the KP. 

14 minutes ago, smr said:

Of all the times the helicopter could have had a catastrophic failure it happened within a minute of taking off at the KP. Hard to stomach how he it was absolutely fine travelling all the way to the KP. 

The vast majority of all aircraft accidents happen either on take off or landing

11 minutes ago, smr said:

Any Helicopter is at its maximum strain on take off. It is fighting all the constraints of gravity and fighting against its own weight to even leave the ground ( unlike a plane that just has to have enough aerodynamic force under its wing for liftoff) The damage was in all probability already in situ just waiting for the right pressures to break down. Repetitive strain on all aircraft is the most deadly because it can't always be seen by visual checks.

15 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Any Helicopter is at its maximum strain on take off. It is fighting all the constraints of gravity and fighting against its own weight to even leave the ground ( unlike a plane that just has to have enough aerodynamic force under its wing for liftoff) The damage was in all probability already in situ just waiting for the right pressures to break down. Repetitive strain on all aircraft is the most deadly because it can't always be seen by visual checks.

Thank you. I absolutely hate the idea of foul play, however unlikely in the circumstances. 

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Just a quick practical question for visiting the KP - is there any parking at the stadium - i.e. the usual fanstore car park? I don't mind walking but I have a feeling the Mother in law will want to come and she can't walk far?

We went yesterday and parked on the road. Nobody seems to be enforcing yellow lines etc at the moment. It was busy but easy to find a spot

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Thank you. I absolutely hate the idea of foul play, however unlikely in the circumstances. 

Foul play would be virtually impossible in this case. The Black box recorder and subsequent investigation will pinpoint exactly what went wrong. Not a viable way to cause a deliberate accident.  

22 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Helicopter is just the same as a plane, it’s aerodynamic lift that makes it lift off, just on a helicopter the wings(rotor) are rotating and on a plane the engine(s) are pushing them through the air.

3 minutes ago, skmanuk said:

Helicopter is just the same as a plane, it’s aerodynamic lift that makes it lift off, just on a helicopter the wings(rotor) are rotating and on a plane the engine(s) are pushing them through the air.

The basic difference between a helicopter and a fixed wing aircraft is that one is inherently stable the other is not.

• Like 1