Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

45 minutes ago, Guy said:

What a very sad time. The mods can delete this in a flash if they think it as inappropriate comment but I have a nagging feeling that if only they had flown over the River Soar side of the stadium whilst leaving (instead of the chosen car park route), that there might have been a greater chance of survival if it had landed in the water. Cannot help but still think that. No negative comments in response please as it was just a 'what if' / 'if only' thought...

I don't think it's inappropriate but the aircraft barely made it above the stadium roof which means it was out of control within seconds of takeoff. In consequence it went down very quickly. The pilot probably had no options. The river is so far away relative to the elevation gained, it would have been impossible to get there.

Even if he had landed in water, the aircraft could still have burst into flames since fuel is less dense than water. 

In any event, landing in water adds the the rescue logistics.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Guy said:

What a very sad time. The mods can delete this in a flash if they think it as inappropriate comment but I have a nagging feeling that if only they had flown over the River Soar side of the stadium whilst leaving (instead of the chosen car park route), that there might have been a greater chance of survival if it had landed in the water. Cannot help but still think that. No negative comments in response please as it was just a 'what if' / 'if only' thought...

It would of still caught fire even landing in the river, 

6 hours ago, Smudge said:

I don't think it's inappropriate but the aircraft barely made it above the stadium roof which means it was out of control within seconds of takeoff. In consequence it went down very quickly. The pilot probably had no options. The river is so far away relative to the elevation gained, it would have been impossible to get there.

Even if he had landed in water, the aircraft could still have burst into flames since fuel is less dense than water. 

CCTV footage being circulated shows it went way, way above the roof of the stadium but I don’t think it would’ve mattered where it landed as you say. 

Amazing response from the football community. We may have banter during games etc,but this does prove we are united when it comes to the game we all follow.

Every person from other clubs who have signed up to add their messages- THANK YOU ALL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Smudge said:

The chopper had cleared the stadium comfortably and from what I can see it was at its highest point that the rear rotor failed. This sent the main body into a spin in the general direction of the car park. I doubt there was enough to time to think let alone act any different to what he did, getting it as far away from the stadium was a heroic achievement in itself. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Raj said:

Amazing response from the football community. We may have banter during games etc,but this does prove we are united when it comes to the game we all follow.

Every person from other clubs who have signed up to add their messages- THANK YOU ALL

It's over-whelmed me at times. I hope in good time that the families of those who did find solace in it and see how much their loved one was appreciated and thought of in such good light. 

7 hours ago, Guy said:

I don't think anyone knows for sure if the pilot was able to "choose" or "direct" the aircraft towards one area or another. I guess the AAIB will be able to determine that if they can recover the flight recorder data.

The hero pilot narrative is great, and I really hope that it is the case, but I don't know if there is any solid evidence of it other than the circumstantial evidence that the helicopter crashed in a deserted car park.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

The hero pilot narrative is great, and I really hope that it is the case, but I don't know if there is any solid evidence of it other than the circumstantial evidence that the helicopter crashed in a deserted car park.

I have to admit I have my doubts after seeing that awful CCTV - the speed it happened it would surely have been impossible to control. Sure we'll find out the full story eventually.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I have to admit I have my doubts after seeing that awful CCTV - the speed it happened it would surely have been impossible to control. Sure we'll find out the full story eventually.

I guess the only thing is that it pretty much landed in the only place in the immediate vicinity where there would be no other people. I won’t say fortunate but if it had gone down on the opposite side of the ground it could’ve been far worse. But like it’s been said I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the investigation finds out.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I don't really understand how helicopters fly - that's what makes them so scary!

At least when I'm on a plane, I understand more or less how it stays up there.

The FDR will be able to tell the AAIB exactly what the pilots inputs were - if he pulled up or down on the controls or whatever. 

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I don't really understand how helicopters fly - that's what makes them so scary!

At least when I'm on a plane, I understand more or less how it stays up there.

The FDR will be able to tell the AAIB exactly what the pilots inputs were - if he pulled up or down on the controls or whatever. 

i thought crazy as it sounds they only managed to explain recently how planes stay up?

I know football rivalries are fun but its times like this where i could care less about them and it may change how i feel about them in general now all this has happened. The love from around the EPL and globe has been tremendous. Wish i was able to attend more games so i could clap all fans when we visit their stadiums to say thanks for supporting us in these difficult times. From the kits left at the memorial to the website and or stadiums lit up in leicester blue it brings tears to my eyes but a huge amount of respect and honour. Vichai is smiling no doubt at all of this love.

Thank you everyone!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Qwerty said:

I can’t get to the stadium this week, does anyone know if the online book of condolence is active yet, I can’t find it on the website.  Thanks

To be confirmed mate. Not able to get to the ground til weekend at the earliest so would be nice to write something before then if possible.