Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

47 minutes ago, skmanuk said:

Helicopter is just the same as a plane, it’s aerodynamic lift that makes it lift off, just on a helicopter the wings(rotor) are rotating and on a plane the engine(s) are pushing them through the air.

Wrong. On all points I'm afraid. It certainly is not the same aerodynamics as an aircraft. One has uplift one has airlift to get them airborne. Both use the engine to generate power enough to defy gravity but in a completely different way. which is why a helicopter in trouble from taking off, is in so much more trouble than an aircraft.

Edited by Bunyip
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ramboacdc said:

wait..which one is stable? both crash. 

Assuming both types of aircraft are functioning properly, a fixed wing plane will be stable if airspeed is maintained. A helicopter wants to auto-gyrate (yaw) and fall out of the sky  (gravity), so only the constant trimming of the blades on the overhead and rear rotors will stabilize these forces. In which case the fixed wing is inherently stable the rotary wing aircraft is not. 

Something I didn't know until today, is that the overhead blades not only vary in pitch from full to flat in one revolution but they also flap up and down. As you can imagine, that is an extremely complicated configuration and I imagine, subject to enormous forces with attendant wear characteristics.

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Bunyip said:

Wrong. On all points I'm afraid. It certainly is not the same aerodynamics as an aircraft. One has uplift one has airlift to get them airborne. Both use the engine to generate power enough to defy gravity but in a completely different way. which is why a helicopter in trouble from taking off, is in so much more trouble than an aircraft.

Not the time for an argument but I speak as a pilot  of 20 years with PPL, IMC & NR.

From NASA website;

In order to fly, an object must have "lift," a force moving it upward. ... A helicopter'srotor blades are wings and create lift. An airplane must fly fast to move enough air over its wings to provide lift. A helicopter moves air over its rotor by spinning its blades.21 May 2014

New video showing Helicopter spinning out of control just out....

Contains footage most will find distressing, but thought id post as it in the mainstream media now 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7620935/leicester-helicopter-crash-footage-stadium-fatal-spin/

Just watched.... horrible 

Edited by HankMarvin

No need for argument here. Anyone with experience of flying knows that helicopters are very different from planes. They work in very different ways. They attain lift in a different way, even if there are some vague similarities. 

If the tail rotor of a helicopter fails it is nearly always catastrophic. The pilot of Vichai’s helicopter pulled off the almost impossible. He got it down in about the only safe spot for ground casualties available to him. The terrible thing is that he was within an ace of getting it down in a manner that might have afforded a reasonable chance of escape for the occupants. It is truly heart rending. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Contains footage most will find distressing, but thought id post as it in the mainstream media now 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7620935/leicester-helicopter-crash-footage-stadium-fatal-spin/

Really wish I hadn't watched that. I feel ill. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Don’t know why people send this footage to the tabloids instead of investigators. Hope they’re proud of the money they received capturing someone’s death on camera.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Wow that’s absolutely heartbreaking :cry:

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

If this is a club employee then it is absolutely disgusting. 

It absolutely is, only people who would still be there. Plus where they are standing, just outside the players tunnel, is where ONLY high level staff or security can stand at that time. Cleaners etc watch from the stands.

I hope he sent it to a friend who has leaked it and not himself. Having said that, just filming is against their contract, so he's still ****ed.

Edited by Kopic

Just now, Kopic said:

It absolutely is, only people who would still be there. Plus where they are standing, just outside the players tunnel, is where ONLY high level staff or security can stand at that time. Cleaners etc watch from the stands.

I hope he sent it to a friend who has leaked it and not himself. Having said that, just filming is against their contact, so he's still ****ed.

Sure the club would paid a certain amount to keep it out of the media if they knew it was going to be leaked, as a mark of respect 

2 minutes ago, KFS said:

Anyone with any knowledge know how that even happens? It looked fine going up and then all of a sudden just loses control? I’m really confused and feel a bit sick. 

Mechanical fault. Sometimes they visually can't be spotted on checks.

2 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

I thought about watching it long and hard, but chose not to in the obvious respect to the victims.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

I thought about watching it long and hard.  but chose not to in the obvious respect to the victims.

Yes don’t if you don’t have to. I personally deal with these things with details. It helps me picture and then put it to bed.

Not that selling this to the Sun is in any way acceptable. 

Edited by KFS
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, lanefox said:

Is the puff of smoke at the start normal?, its a hard watch

Pretty sure that’s just st a normal start up.  

15 minutes ago, KFS said:

Anyone with any knowledge know how that even happens? It looked fine going up and then all of a sudden just loses control? I’m really confused and feel a bit sick. 

Looks like the tail rotor just packed up ...   couldn’t see any foreign bodies (birds drones etc) so presume it was a mechanical fault ...   the pilot would have had little control to direct where it hit the ground but if the story is true that he gestured to the guy who ran to help to get away as it was going to blow then he is one bloody hero ...   imo.