Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, I didn't like the thought that things were obviously wrong prior to them leaving. This pilot seemed to be impeccably safe and if there'd been any variation to the norm on landing, surely this would have been flagged up?

The video skips early, so pre flight checks been done.the white puff of smoke is no issue and all is fine.

I did read up about the pilot he had many years experience. 

Its All speculation what happens next when it clears the stadium it goes well above 500ft or so.

Such a tradgic accident , still can't believe this has happened . 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

That’s been ruled out 

Just so we're sticking to the facts, the AAIB hasn't reported yet and therefore nothing has been ruled out. As said before, there doesn't appear to be any evidence pointing to a collision with a drone, and the police confirmed theirs wasn't flying, but doesn't mean a collision is ruled out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Yes, the CCTV footage looks like the Citroen garage to me.

The Citroen garage is opposite the north east corner. The CCTV footage shows from a different view. It’s believed to be the Vauxhall garage behind the e-on building. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

oh my. what a few days it has been. I'm absolutely devastated by this and I don't fully understand why if you see what I mean. I feel a bit embarrassed - after all, I didn't know Vichai and yet I feel such sorrow for what we have lost.

I didn't think anything would make me prouder to be a Leicester fan that those glorious days in May 2016 but if anything, the conduct of our club's officials, players, staff and fans as well as all the tributes makes me prouder than ever.

I feel just the same pal, as I’m sure many of us do. I’m not usually an emotional person but this has been a very tough few days. The Burnley game is going to be an emotional rollercoaster. I will be there but really not looking forward to it if I’m honest. That sounds selfish I know. I can’t begin to imagine what all of the families are going through. 

22 minutes ago, blueharmie said:

The video skips early, so pre flight checks been done.the white puff of smoke is no issue and all is fine.

Its All speculation what happens next when it clears the stadium it goes well above 500ft or so.

The problems seem to begin as the helicopter reaches an altitude sufficient to begin manouvering laterally, which is when the tail rotor would begin to alter its rpm. Would seem to be either an electrical fault or mechanical failure. Which may seem obvious but possibly too much of a coincidence to be any external factors. 

Hopefully the AAIB will be able to clear this up for the sake of the families of all of the victims, taking them a small step nearer to getting the closure that they all hugely need. Such a tragedy no matter what caused it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, blueharmie said:

Didnt realise it was 500 ft above. I imagined it just cleared the stadium and then had a failure.

And so unfortunate too... where did the helicopter fly from? London to the KP? Then off to a nearby airfield or so and then back to the KP.. tragic obviously wherever it happened but to have had 5 onboard and Vichai, when it could have failed with no passengers onboard. Just difficult to take that it was seconds after take off at the KP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smr said:

And so unfortunate too... where did the helicopter fly from? London to the KP? Then off to a nearby airfield or so and then back to the KP.. tragic obviously wherever it happened but to have had 5 onboard and Vichai, when it could have failed with no passengers onboard. Just difficult to take that it was seconds after take off at the KP.

Last time I looked at the flight paths it used to go London -> KP -> Leicester Airport (During the game) -> KP -> London

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

15 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

A drone isn’t going to takedown a helicopter, it’s motors would be strong enough to get it close with all the downforce the propellers produce. 

If it was large enough it could. It wouldn’t affect the rotors but depending on the engine type, being sucked into the air intake it could cause some damage. 

Edit: It’s very unlikely it’d get close but it could happen. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

4 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

If it was large enough it could. It wouldn’t affect the rotors but depending on the engine type, being sucked into the air intake it could cause some damage. 

Edit: It’s very unlikely it’d get close but it could happen. 

Bits do look like they are falling from 50 seconds, these flashes could be insects but seem to drop vertically  

• Sad 1

An Aviation experts opinion for those who want to read it 

Taken from the Night vision CCTV released earlier in the week

Aviation expert David Learmount said the aircraft appeared normal at take-off, and it was only at the point the pilot tried to turn to leave the stadium that it seemed to get into difficulty.

Mr Learmount said: "At lift-off you can't see anything that's abnormal, but it's an awkward job climbing out of a stadium because ideally you want some forward speed as well as continuing to climb.

"The pilot climbed very nearly vertically until he was above the height of the stadium and then started to turn to the right - it was very shortly after that control was lost.

"Just after he did a manoeuvre that seemed to be intended, he lost control."

By itself, the action of a helicopter's main rotor would cause the body of the aircraft to spin in the opposite direction, as seen in the clip.

A second, sideways rotor fitted to the tail spins against the main rotor and keeps the body of the helicopter in a straight line, Mr Learmount said.

He added it was most likely that a fault had caused the second rotor to fail.

He said in those circumstances, a pilot's only option is to immediately bring both rotors back to neutral.

"That leaves you with no power - if you have no power you have to go down," he said.

"This action - bringing both rotors back to idle - has to be done incredibly quickly

"If you shut the power down rapidly enough you can keep the rotor spinning and that effectively puts the helicopter into a glide."

Mr Learmount said the emergency action is usually only effective if the helicopter has enough height, and in this instance the aircraft was probably not high enough.

"If you've already started spinning, trying to do all of this is very nearly impossible," he said.

Edited by HankMarvin
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

An Aviation experts opinion for those who want to read it 

Taken from the Night vision CCTV released earlier in the week

Aviation expert David Learmount said the aircraft appeared normal at take-off, and it was only at the point the pilot tried to turn to leave the stadium that it seemed to get into difficulty.

Mr Learmount said: "At lift-off you can't see anything that's abnormal, but it's an awkward job climbing out of a stadium because ideally you want some forward speed as well as continuing to climb.

"The pilot climbed very nearly vertically until he was above the height of the stadium and then started to turn to the right - it was very shortly after that control was lost.

"Just after he did a manoeuvre that seemed to be intended, he lost control."

By itself, the action of a helicopter's main rotor would cause the body of the aircraft to spin in the opposite direction, as seen in the clip.

A second, sideways rotor fitted to the tail spins against the main rotor and keeps the body of the helicopter in a straight line, Mr Learmount said.

He added it was most likely that a fault had caused the second rotor to fail.

He said in those circumstances, a pilot's only option is to immediately bring both rotors back to neutral.

"That leaves you with no power - if you have no power you have to go down," he said.

"This action - bringing both rotors back to idle - has to be done incredibly quickly

"If you shut the power down rapidly enough you can keep the rotor spinning and that effectively puts the helicopter into a glide."

Mr Learmount said the emergency action is usually only effective if the helicopter has enough height, and in this instance the aircraft was probably not high enough.

"If you've already started spinning, trying to do all of this is very nearly impossible," he said.

All of that just makes me think even more how bloody talented the pilot was in that he managed to divert it away from the stadium and pedestrians around it or nearby. 

What keeps harrowing me is how those all on board would have experienced it within :(

It's something I can't get out of my head for some reason when I think of the helicopter going up or read about it. 

3 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I’ve not watched any nor do I have any intention of watching any but is this two different videos people are talking about 

In this thread as I see cctv mentioned and also possibly staff recording video 

It’s a different one, looks like it must have been staff recording it. Don’t watch it. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I’ve not watched any nor do I have any intention of watching any but is this two different videos people are talking about 

In this thread as I see cctv mentioned and also possibly staff recording video 

Yep, two different. 

Earlier in the week CCTV was captured from a building, in night vision and not very clear. 

And then today, allegedly a member of staff, has recorded footage from inside the stadium of the helicopter taking off and spinning out of control and dropping fast beyond the stadium. This has then been released (by someone) to The Sun to then publicise. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

It’s a different one, looks like it must have been staff recording it. Don’t watch it. 

Thanks i was just a bit confused with cctv and staff being mention like I said I have  no intention of watching it it was hard enough trying to read the last couple of pages 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yep, two different. 

Earlier in the week CCTV was captured from a building, in night vision and not very clear. 

And then today, allegedly a member of staff, has recorded footage from inside the stadium of the helicopter taking off and spinning out of control and dropping fast beyond the stadium. This has then been released (by someone) to The Sun to then publicise. 

Thank you

5 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

New video showing Helicopter spinning out of control just out....

Contains footage most will find distressing, but thought id post as it in the mainstream media now 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/7620935/leicester-helicopter-crash-footage-stadium-fatal-spin/

Just watched.... horrible 

I've watched the video and yes it is distressing, but did notice at about 48 seconds you can see something shoot off horizontally to the left at high speed.

I can only assume that it's something to do with the tail rotor and that has caused the loss of control.