Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finley Parsons

Helicopter crash

24 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That video will be incredibly important for the police and air craft investigators, just a shame it couldn't have been handed over properly without the need to sell it to the papers. 

I wonder if said person has handed over in good faith but the Sun have decided to make it public so they can get a lot of click bait to their website.

Sadly the videos were always likely to come.

9 hours ago, StanSP said:

All of that just makes me think even more how bloody talented the pilot was in that he managed to divert it away from the stadium and pedestrians around it or nearby. 

What keeps harrowing me is how those all on board would have experienced it within :(

It's something I can't get out of my head for some reason when I think of the helicopter going up or read about it. 

I only hope this offers you a crumb of solace. The helicopter decended quite rapidly from a height of maybe 4 to 500ft. it hit the ground hard. It is pretty certain  the impact would have killed those onboard before it was consumed. 

It still doesn't bare thinking about, though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

That video will be incredibly important for the police and air craft investigators, just a shame it couldn't have been handed over properly without the need to sell it to the papers. 

It may well be the case that several videos were filmed and handed to the police exactly as you described, although obviously we won't hear about these.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smudge said:

Assuming both types of aircraft are functioning properly, a fixed wing plane will be stable if airspeed is maintained. A helicopter wants to auto-gyrate (yaw) and fall out of the sky  (gravity), so only the constant trimming of the blades on the overhead and rear rotors will stabilize these forces. In which case the fixed wing is inherently stable the rotary wing aircraft is not. 

Something I didn't know until today, is that the overhead blades not only vary in pitch from full to flat in one revolution but they also flap up and down. As you can imagine, that is an extremely complicated configuration and I imagine, subject to enormous forces with attendant wear characteristics.

well everyday is a school day. thank you!

It's all so very very sad, but as a City supporter like most of us are, does this really have to be put out there? I really have a problem with this I'm afraid without wishing to sound a complete prude. Is it now entertainment to enable us to all go ooohh look at that and gossip about it? What about the families? Does the taker of this video feel proud of themselves for the extra bit of kudos he/she has gained, seemingly someone inside our ground possibly in a trusted position  ???! Undoubtedly when he/she took this there would have been no thought or expectation of what was tragically going to happen granted, but personally, would it not have been more fitting and respectful to have just provided this to the police or aviation authorities for their investigations, which hopefully he/she has had the nous to do? Having had previous experience of how media reporting has upset victims of crime or accidents I'm afraid I'm probably not the most impartial to such things.

I do wonder whether the Club explicitly asked any employees for any photo / video footage from that night to be handed over to assist with the investigation...? To the informed eye, anything like this could prove crucial in determining a cause.

As others have said, that should have been given to the AAIB. If the footage came from a club employee, then it's absolutely reprehensible.

Unfortunately there is an inherent curiosity, but I do urge others not to click through to the Sun website and watch the video. 

They are literally profiting from this tragedy.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

I only hope this offers you a crumb of solace. The helicopter decended quite rapidly from a height of maybe 4 to 500ft. it hit the ground hard. It is pretty certain  the impact would have killed those onboard before it was consumed. 

It still doesn't bare thinking about, though.

Not to sound morbid but I thought there had been eyewitness accounts saying the passengers were still conscious after impact? 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree it’s important but hardly definitive for the investigation. If the sun had got hold of the black box control input data and voice recordings then that would have been really distasteful. The AAIB have the best and most reliable data/info on their desks, not sure a grainy video from the KP is going to make or break this investigation.

2 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Not to sound morbid but I thought there had been eyewitness accounts saying the passengers were still conscious after impact? 

It came out that the police tried to get in put got pushed back due to the flames, someone then seemed to add to that story that they had been told to "get back" by someone inside. Frankly, I would take those comments with a pinch of salt. Lots of things get twisted and embellished for a story. The pilots maneuvering to crash in a safe place being one quite probably, having spoken to the pilots I know and seeing the videos, it's unlikely they had the time or ability to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

I do wonder whether the Club explicitly asked any employees for any photo / video footage from that night to be handed over to assist with the investigation...? To the informed eye, anything like this could prove crucial in determining a cause.

As others have said, that should have been given to the AAIB. If the footage came from a club employee, then it's absolutely reprehensible.

Unfortunately there is an inherent curiosity in all of us, but I do urge others not to click through to the Sun website and watch the video. 

By doing this and giving them 'clicks', they are literally profiting from this tragedy.

Congratulations, you just figured out how the mainstream news media works. 

• Like 1

It was sadly inevitable that footage of the Helicopter taking off and going down would make it's way into the gutter press; they'll be plenty of detailed footage of it from the club's CCTV and from nearby businesses but this will rightly have been forwarded to the AAIB and is not out there for the public to see.

29 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

This is so wrong.

The whole of Leicester should ban the Sun, just like Liverpool have. 

29 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

This is so wrong.

The whole of Leicester should ban the Sun, just like Liverpool have. 

Used to work in Liverpool where cabbies often ask you not to read the sun in their can. We should ban the sun cos it’s a cr*p newspaper that has little respect for football fans - then again the mirror posted a video too .....

Just now, Foxinscouseland said:

Used to work in Liverpool where cabbies often ask you not to read the sun in their can. We should ban the sun cos it’s a cr*p newspaper that has little respect for football fans - then again the mirror posted a video too .....

Daily mail also published the suns link last night 

• Like 1

I think any newspaper would have released the footage if it was sent to them to be honest. It's the sad world we live in now. How many people on this forum have taken the time to watch it? The majority I would say. If they know there is a demand, they will do it.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

It came out that the police tried to get in put got pushed back due to the flames, someone then seemed to add to that story that they had been told to "get back" by someone inside. Frankly, I would take those comments with a pinch of salt. Lots of things get twisted and embellished for a story. The pilots maneuvering to crash in a safe place being one quite probably, having spoken to the pilots I know and seeing the videos, it's unlikely they had the time or ability to do so.

I believe the "get back" was said by the policemen to the onlookers.  That's actually on the video.

And some how that morphed into the passengers/pilot telling the policeman to get back.

But it does appear that the victims were still alive before the helicopter blew up based on the policemen's rescue attempt.  Also it wasn't a great fall for the helicopter compared to if it were in midflight so there probably was a brief chance at a rescue had the helicopter landed upright or upside down and the door was accessible.  

3 minutes ago, irishfoxkev said:

Probably going to get some incoming flack for this but yes I have watched the suns video and the cctv footage. Why ?

Because its an integral part of an horrendous and tragic news story that has hit me and thousands of others very hard. It has helped to complete the picture as to what happened. Granted watching it  I knew the  devasting final consequences but it has helped me get a clearer picture in my mind as to the horrible evening last Saturday. With cameras almost everywhere these days it was obvious that film coverage would make it into public domain. How many on here can honestly say they haven’t watched films of  tragedies that cost many lives ? EG 9/11 or other sporting tragedies going back a long time like Bradford City fire, Hilllsboro, Heysel etc etc.  OK this one is closer to home and hurts more but to me it’s up to each individual to make their own decision on whether to watch it or not.

On balance, you're right. It was inevitable there would be footage leaked at some point and I watched it, morbidly horrified but curious.

And as you say, we've seen footage of plane crashes, explosions, tsunamis and earthquakes and what not. I think the real kicker is that someone within the club leaked it but that's a separate issue.

• Like 2