Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ecdysiast

Claudio to Fulham

3 hours ago, Chester Dontlie said:

@Hanan96

I think I share your reservations about Ranieri but I don't think anyone can 'underrate' or 'overrate' a manager who wins the Prem with an underdog on a 5000/1 chance. It's just incomparable with anything else in football. That alone makes Mourinhos La Liga, Premier League, Serie A, even CL wins rather bland in comparison, after all his teams were always (maybe except Porto's CL win but that was hardly 5000/1) among the favourites. While Ranieri's following season at Leicester was disastrous in the Prem, it wasn't so bad on the European front where we reached the quarterfinals of CL (technically, the quarterfinals happened under Shakes but Ranners got us through the group to the knockout stages, so at least in Europe he did an okay job...) and in the end marginally lost with Atletico.

Speaking of which, you mention Atletico like they were some kind of underdogs, who each year push for the top 3 "after their shocking title win". Even if we forget about the lack of competitiveness in La Liga compared to the PL, Atletico won it 10 times in their history and featured in Europe numerous times (3 times winning the EL in last 8 years). Hardly the underdog.

Looking at what happened after the title win from the perspective I think obviously we underperformed, but was it realistic for anyone to expect us to finish top 4 or even top 6t? PL is the most competitive among the top leagues and if you want to be top 6 then some of the big boys would have to slip. In 15/16 the stars were aligned our way (but still it required Ranieri's stroke of genius to win the league - to be the best in 38 league games with 10 point gap over the 2nd team is never down to luck). Where we are now, we would probably need to spend 3-4 times the amount we do for transfers to have our high expectations grounded and challenge for the top 6 spot (Liverpool bought a goalie for 56+ mil I don't think we can (nor should) compete with that).

SInce the title win we've lost two of our three star players (one of them, immediately). Especially Kante's loss was massive (we still are in the process of finding and nurturing our new stars). I agree that Ranieri was in his second season too stubborn, too over reliant on some of the (aging) title winners, and completely unwilling/unable to adapt when our system was found out. But IMO his 2016/17 incompetence doesn't take anything away from his 2015/16 brilliance. Whatever it is he did in 15/16, it required not only luck and experience, but also a healthy dose of  genius. He pushed all the required buttons in the exact order to make it happen. He will need to do it again now at Fulham. I wish him the best obviously. They are shit now but there's still a lot of time to change things and lot of points to win. 

As for the once a 'special one' now just an 'ordinary Joe' Moaninho... He's a living proof of the truth that as a manager you're only as good as your recent few seasons.. I think he's like a walking reminder for all the people in high places, that if you're being cocky, disrespectful, bullyish, in general act like a twat, all the shit you throw about will at some point come around and people will take pleasure in seeing you fall. He's the exact opposite of Claudio. Like many neutrals I'm rather delighted to see him burn out and auto destruct. He may have been a brilliant manager few seasons ago, but he was a ****. Now, he's only a ****.

Superb post! :appl:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Hanan96 said:

[...]

This is going nowhere and just circling back to points already made. I feel you are comparing apples and pear.

The circumstances behind Chelsea 2004/5 or Atletico 2013/14 are so wildly different from Leicester 2015/16 that it's pointless to compare.

No-one could realistically expect us to consistently challenge season after season, let alone come close to achieving what we did.

Everyone, including our own fans, are trying to explain the unexplainable and of course there are mitigating factors in our title win, but most important was what happened at our club during and leading up to that season. It's not what happened or didn't happen in Manchester, London or Liverpool...

Ranieri contributed substantially here and elsewhere and you would do well to recognise this. I'm not comparing him to the likes of Mourinho, SAF, Ancelotti etc, I just used them as examples to show that even they have failed and sometimes quite spectacularly. I do think it's OK to compare him to unproven coaches or proven mediocre managers. That's all I wanted to say.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 13:38, fuchsntf said:

What!!!  Another blind opinion,trying g to be put into individuals facts..  What "fractured dressing room"!!?

Blind opinion? It's a frequent occurrence in his career. There was something clearly not right towards the end under him, you could see it based on the comments from the likes of Ulloa & Schlupp, Ulloa in-particular.

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Blind opinion? It's a frequent occurrence in his career. There was something clearly not right towards the end under him, you could see it based on the comments from the likes of Ulloa & Schlupp, Ulloa in-particular.

Oh dear !! 3 players jump up and cry boo, so the dressing room is lost!!! Wow

A squad of 20-30 players,should love the manager...

I respected Ulloas  disapointment....disagreements happen,but doesn't mean the dressing room was fractured,and splints were being handed out.

33 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I respected Ulloas  disapointment....disagreements happen,but doesn't mean the dressing room was fractured,and splints were being handed out.

The dressing room was rancid for the last 2 months of Claudio’s reign. Clearly the players didn’t like him & weren't playing for him. Claudio’s career backs the other statement up - starts well, usually lasts 2 seasons the gets sacked. 

1 hour ago, OhYesNdidi said:

The dressing room was rancid for the last 2 months of Claudio’s reign. Clearly the players didn’t like him & weren't playing for him. Claudio’s career backs the other statement up - starts well, usually lasts 2 seasons the gets sacked. 

About average,for every manager...but every other manager hasn't come close to Ranieris CV.

real top managers yes,but you can count them on your 2hand s and 2 feet....I would be happy to have a CV like Ranieris!!!

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Did you watch us?

On 17/11/2018 at 22:00, fuchsntf said:

Well if we believe what is reported, the squad is the reason he got sacked

42 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Well if we believe what is reported, the squad is the reason he got sacked

But isn't that exactly the problem with football fans...they read,then throw away or take on the reports that fit their own ideology

of looking,for reasons of why,or blame!!!

Many have short memories,but the idea of a fractured dressing room,was firstly assumed and presumed because of blind posts

on this very forum...Then like the "Kings-clothes".  starts to roll as a train of thought,because one of Two players are misquoted,taken out

Of concept,then more posts come in and then an unbalanced thrown-in- the- pile  opinion,  ...for no reason becomes a fact!!

Then in this social-media world, journalists and media, looking for a juicy story pounce on it,then it rolls because nobody will be seen to deny it,

or when,(which happened from our strongest players) then some sarcastically for their own forum-attitude,will denounce or ignore it.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

But isn't that exactly the problem with football fans...they read,then throw away or take on the reports that fit their own ideology

Many have short memories,but the idea of a fractured dressing room,was firstly assumed and presumed because of blind posts

on this very forum...Then like the "Kings-clothes".  starts to roll as a train of thought,because one of Two players are misquoted,taken out

Of concept,then more posts come in and then an unbalanced thrown-in- the- pile  opinion,  ...for no reason becomes a fact!!

Then in this social-media world, journalists and media, looking for a juicy story pounce on it,then it rolls because nobody will be seen to deny it,

or when,(which happened from our strongest players) then some sarcastically for their own forum-attitude,will denounce or ignore it.

The players clearly hated him for some reason. The performances during his last 2 months until his sacking back my statement up. It was appalling. 

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

Put your head in the sand then but it was clear he lost the dressing room, his replacement got us playing a similar way to the season before and to the quarters of the champions league 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Put your head in the sand then but it was clear he lost the dressing room, his replacement got us playing a similar way to the season before and to the quarters of the champions league 

My head is no more in the sand than yours...I choose to look at other footballing  reasons,than headline makers.

I do believe Ranieri lost his way,I believe it was right to sack him!!!  

But there hard footballing reasons why that season became a folly,and even when rightly he tinkered,and tried different tactics or formations,

he wasn't IMO strong to keep,to his own ideology and dropped it without trusting his instinct.

Something even more simple,and hard for some fans to take,and Ranieri maybe to want to understand,our midfield were asked to do,or play

to roles and tactics they were not upto...but there were many issues and mitigating circumstances

So until someone from within confirms that the actual game-players,were part of a major  conspiracy with a fractured-changing room/squad,

I will ignore the grain of sands in my eyes!!:P

Certainly Claudio is adept at taking what he’s been given and making it work.  He took Parma out of relegation, Cagliari and Monaco from the lower leagues to the top.  The question people are posting, are his second year at the helm.  Well, his second year have generally been successful.  He was sacked by Monaco for reaching second place, by Chelsea for the same (not winning champions league etc)...and it goes on.  He took Roma to second place in serie A while the previous manager lost the first three games.  It is unfortunate that people continue to say these things when the facts say otherwise.  

He has a record as any top manager.  Fulham should be happy to have him.

12 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

His replacement was getting us relegated very quickly by trying to play a similar way without the requisite players to play it. As a manager he was utterly  clueless which is why I believe our owners replaced him.

5 hours ago, Sionnach gorm said:

Certainly Claudio is adept at taking what he’s been given and making it work.  He took Parma out of relegation, Cagliari and Monaco from the lower leagues to the top.  The question people are posting, are his second year at the helm.  Well, his second year have generally been successful.  He was sacked by Monaco for reaching second place, by Chelsea for the same (not winning champions league etc)...and it goes on.  He took Roma to second place in serie A while the previous manager lost the first three games.  It is unfortunate that people continue to say these things when the facts say otherwise.  

He has a record as any top manager.  Fulham should be happy to have him.

You are of course absolutely right, his career when gone into in detail and the full circumstances bear up to scrutiny. Sadly, some people only look as far as date started date finished. Fulham are lucky to get him, so were we for that one season. Let's just wish a very decent man well.