Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

They’ll only make noise when they’re being entertained. Every club across the country is exactly the same too. Just the problem with the majority of English football fans these days.

Fair enough if you’re bored by the football but I presume it’s a whole lot more boring sitting/standing in silence with your hands glued to your seat. Will anything change this mindset? Can’t see it. 

I’m not expecting 30k people bouncing around for 90 minutes but the mentality of the majority is crap. 

1 minute ago, Goober said:

They’ll only make noise when they’re being entertained. Every club across the country is exactly the same too. Just the problem with the majority of English football fans these days.

Fair enough if you’re bored by the football but I presume it’s a whole lot more boring sitting/standing in silence with your hands glued to your seat. Will anything change this mindset? Can’t see it. 

I’m not expecting 30k people bouncing around for 90 minutes but the mentality of the majority is crap. 

it's anyoying as it makes us look well sh*t

1 minute ago, Goober said:

It's hard to get excited by 90 minutes of sideways passes and 1 shot per half.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

it's anyoying as it makes us look well sh*t

If it's any consolation, I don't think it's a problem that affects just us. Other prem clubs seem to struggle with atmosphere also. Could be because the top 6 are so far ahead of everyone else and fans just can't get up for a game they know they have almost no chance of winning, and the best they can possibly do in the league is 7th.

2 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The club pay lip service to wanting an atmosphere but don't actually do anything to stimulate or provoke one. Clappers create noise, not an atmosphere. It's as much a cultural problem as anything, there'll be plenty of dross football served up in Germany, Poland, Turkey, Italy, Morocco and Argentina but the expectation is that you'll sing for your team and at the very worst you'll make your own fun even if your team is shit.

Tickets are hard to come by and expensive at that, it's a closed shop which has resulted in a lot of younger lads most likely missing out, if the expansion is done well it should certainly help but it won't be one quick fix just like safe standing won't be either.

are we planning to extend the stadium?, i've heard people saying it but nothing from the club

I think it's the same at most grounds now to be honest and ours is by no means the worst. Possibly things change with different era's i.e. some fans just might not like the idea of singing anymore. I  can't say that I sing much now days but on the other hand, I can't manage to sit still and be quiet either ?  Each to their own I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think it's the same at most grounds now to be honest and ours is by no means the worst. Possibly things change with different era's i.e. some fans just might not like the idea of singing anymore. I  can't say that I sing much now days but on the other hand, I can't manage to sit still and be quiet either ?  Each to their own I suppose. 

that's what it is all about though

5 minutes ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

that's what it is all about though

Not sure what you mean, do you mean just the atmosphere?  I think it goes in phases for a combination of all the reasons people have said above. It is best when a crowd is in full song perhaps but it doesn't bother me that much either way. I've always looked forward to going even in division 1! I rarely get bored,  frustrated maybe at times. Always have a good day out with my son and a good crack with the people round us who've also been there years. Still well worth the money for a season ticket for me, still as keen as ever.

It’s always been this way there’s been good and bad periods and is a reflection on the relative entertainment on the pitch.

It’s not helped by......

What sometimes seems to be a deliberate attempt to exclude the 18 to 30ish age group who are generally the most noisy by limited seating and excessive match day pricing.

The design of the stadium that throws the sound onto the pitch.

Allocated seating that makes it difficult for match day ticket buyers to gather together.

But most of all you need action on the pitch to get you ‘out of your seat’ be that from the players or a shit referee.

VAR will also act as a dampener as we all stand around in silence waiting for the verdict.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In the game against Burnley it started well. But around the 35 minute mark, even L1 went quiet. It didn't pick up again until the 60th minute (for obvious reasons, RIP Mr Chairman) and for Vardy's chance, then almost silence again from the 70th to the the end. I know it was a drab game on the pitch, but i think it actually felt quite awkward. It felt like we had no connection with the team on the pitch. No songs for individual players, no song for the manager.

Burnley sang and sang there bloody Burnley is wonderful song and I just wanted to get singing to shut them up, as you could see that the support was spurring on their team. But when I tried to start songs (to be fair I was in the sold extra tickets in the away end) I got daggered and asked to sit down and be quiet. And even some in L1 seemed to look at as if to say What's the point?

It certainly didn't feel like those amazing games where we sang Vardys name and Ulloa had a chant, Pearson and Ranieri had their own special songs etc. Every player had something for us to sing about....

It was a very emotional day for me, losing our cherished chairman, losing our team spirit on the pitch and losing our amazing atmosphere. Is it because the fans expect too much? Since the title win, it feels like we're expected to be top 6 by younger fans.

Edited by Foxhateram
  • Like 1

Sure we have been over this numerous times.

But huge part of it is due to reserved seating and the closed shop season tickets have become. Individual match day tickets are a joke costing nearly 100% more.

Added to that the current/next generation haven't grown up with kops etc.

But there must be a desire as shown from the number of guys travelling abroad to partake in the continental model.

But also I think there's a huge part of snobbery involved. You only have to look at the reaction that some of the group's in this country get from those looking from the outside. Because it's not seen as part of our culture it's almost viewed with scorn and an uncertainty.

Which is a shame because whilst they may not be everyone's cup of tea, all they are trying to do is enjoy themselves and enjoy a matchday in their own image and I'm not sure the English game can afford the luxury to pick and choose it's fan base otherwise we are on the road to a generation of games watched only by the wealthy in theatre style atmospheres.

And I'm not sure even $ky want it to go that far.

I agree with most of the explanations offered by the various contributors above, but I think the season ticket issue and the mentality that comes with it by some ST holders (before anyone thinks I'm tarring them all with the same brush) is a lot to do with it. I encountered one such individual in the ground, as I reported at the time - he felt that owning a ST entitled him to behave as he pleased. Now, I'm sure he's not typical in that particularly arrogant display of anti-social behaviour. However, I think that there will be quite a lot of comfortably off (relatively speaking) ST holders whose only contribution, bar the money they spend, will be to sit and wait to be entertained, and feel entitled to moan when it isn't served up as they want, and when they want.

I don't entirely blame them for this either, if that is the case - the game has been gentrified and homogenised, and in many ways that's a good thing, but it does mean that what we end up experiencing is a sanitised, passionless crowd, in a stadium that doesn't allow us to hear a chant from the other side of the pitch.

The match on Tuesday is an interesting case in point, since it attracted a greater proportion of casual supporters than a league match might, and thus there will have been extra people not knowing the drill, so to speak. The numbers of those knowing the songs will only decrease, and so without some very organised passing of knowledge, the club (and other clubs) will be able to increasingly damp down too much genuine passion with their loud music and so forth.

And, before anyone adds it, the game on Tuesday really wasn't much to make noise about, relatively speaking.