Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think you're a bit generous to Farage. I don't think he's far-right but he's happy to use quite far-right tropes to push his Euroscepticism and aligns himself with some quite odious politicians. 

Your point about Farage occasionally (only occasionally, I think) using far-right tropes is a fair one. But the same applies to some Tories - and even some Labour. Likewise re. odious politicians - I mean, Blair used to holiday with Berlusconi!

There's a big difference between Farage and Robinson, I think. The fact that Farage quit UKIP over its appointment of Robinson supports that.

Plus, if there are Euro elections - or a general election - any time soon, then the existence of this new Brexit Party could be a Godsend in minimising support for the new Far Right UKIP under Batten/Robinson.

• Like 1

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

Your point about Farage occasionally (only occasionally, I think) using far-right tropes is a fair one. But the same applies to some Tories - and even some Labour. Likewise re. odious politicians - I mean, Blair used to holiday with Berlusconi!

Sure. I remember New Labour's asylum seeker panic. Blunkett's environment was nearly as hostile as May's. 

I'd probably holiday with Berlusconi. 

7 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Was just quoting what someone said on the news half an hour ago when I was having my dinner...  

Dare say it might be a bit more complicated but still believe that’s the long and the short of it ...  dent in profits. 

Luckily for these organisations they can ‘hint’ how bad things might be when knowing that is very unlikely to happen to try and get what they want ...   whereas if we say hint at the possibility of a no deal brexit to get a better deal, even if it will not be allowed to happen ...   everyone jumps up and down and says we can’t do that.   

I'm not denying that Airbus' comments are motivated by self-interest, though, if you read that Risk Assessment, it sounds like more than a "dent in profits", more like the operational and financial viability of the business in the UK is at stake in the event of No Deal. In turn that jeopardises thousands of jobs directly and potentially hundreds of thousands indirectly (4000 suppliers supporting 110,000 jobs, they claim, plus all the local traders dependent on spending by employees of Airbus & its suppliers, impact on tax revenues funding public services etc.).

They've done more than "hint", too. Seriously, have a look at that Risk Assessment, compiled back in June - only 2 pages long but gives a clear, detailed explanation of the complex risks and what's at stake. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

Sure. I remember New Labour's asylum seeker panic. Blunkett's environment was nearly as hostile as May's. 

I'd probably holiday with Berlusconi. 

Surely you could take an ethical decision to attend someone else's Bunga Bunga parties? :D

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm not denying that Airbus' comments are motivated by self-interest, though, if you read that Risk Assessment, it sounds like more than a "dent in profits", more like the operational and financial viability of the business in the UK is at stake in the event of No Deal. In turn that jeopardises thousands of jobs directly and potentially hundreds of thousands indirectly (4000 suppliers supporting 110,000 jobs, they claim, plus all the local traders dependent on spending by employees of Airbus & its suppliers, impact on tax revenues funding public services etc.).

They've done more than "hint", too. Seriously, have a look at that Risk Assessment, compiled back in June - only 2 pages long but gives a clear, detailed explanation of the complex risks and what's at stake. 

Will do Alf ...   just watching The Longest Day at the mo ..  great film ! ...   :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Any you can recommend in the Leicester area? 

Sadly not. I lead a very monk-like existence. Must try to change that, when I can be bothered (late middle-age inertia). Dr. the Singh might be able to advise you.

1 hour ago, Toddybad said:

Brexit in general has seen everybody vote and argue against their normal values. 

Really it should be the right arguing to remain in a free trade bloc that was built on trade and big business, and the left arguing for leave. 

Also, you find that people argue that a small increase to corporation tax under corbyn would decimate business, whilst at the same time arguing that tariffs on exports are fine. 

World's gone mad. 

The “right” is actually a coalition of two parts, the Business right, and the Nationalist right. Brexit appears to have exposed deep divisions.

19 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Of course they want clarity ...   but how can anyone do that when no one has a fookin clue what’s going to happen.    

Well you voted for it. 

22 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Still sounds like a threat to me.

No threat, they are easily capable of withdrawing and will in the event of a No Deal Brexit. Their message has been consistent for the last two years. Regarding the latter scenario, if you don't think that would be immediately accompanied by similar branch plant shut downs, reneging on investment, significant cessation of potential large scale projects and collaboration and a mass exodus of capital flight then I would invite you to share the basis of your optimism. 

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The “right” is actually a coalition of two parts, the Business right, and the Nationalist right. Brexit appears to have exposed deep divisions.

Plenty of division in the left too, maybe we should re-categories some of them front and rear.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toddybad said:

Brexit in general has seen everybody vote and argue against their normal values. 

Really it should be the right arguing to remain in a free trade bloc that was built on trade and big business, and the left arguing for leave. 

Also, you find that people argue that a small increase to corporation tax under corbyn would decimate business, whilst at the same time arguing that tariffs on exports are fine. 

World's gone mad. 

It hasn’t though, the E.U. is a restricted customs union when you think about it, and the global opportunity is much more positive and outward looking.  Allowing a level playing field for immigration rather than open borders to white Europe and hugely restricted access to talent from around the globe.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

Well you voted for it. 

No threat, they are easily capable of withdrawing and will in the event of a No Deal Brexit. Their message has been consistent for the last two years. Regarding the latter scenario, if you don't think that would be immediately accompanied by similar branch plant shut downs, reneging on investment, significant cessation of potential large scale projects and collaboration and a mass exodus of capital flight then I would invite you to share the basis of your optimism. 

No I didn’t vote for this mess ..   not at all ...   that’s all happened since cus some people just don’t want brexit to happen.   

And lets just just see if they withdraw shall we.   Still looks to me like pressure being exerted to get a scenario they want.