Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What's in the news?

35 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

This isn't actually true though. 

Even within the EU, as Belgium does, we can require EU nationals (or anybody else) to leave the country if they haven't got a job within 3 months.

And as somebody that had previously worked within the benefits system I can tell you with certainty that you can't claim benefits within the first three months as our benefit rules require you to prove that you have been here longer than that and are a permanant resident. 

Really, the truth of it is that the problem is a lack of honesty about these sorts of rules by vote leave and a failure by government (of all stripes) to counter these sorts of false arguments over many, many years.

Whether it's true or not, that is still the perception from people i've asked before, mind you, as a non voter, i can honestly say none of what's happening is my fault. All of you brexiteers and remainers have created a problem, now sort it out

Brexit will not be a success until true Brexit is implemented. 

"Britain should leave the EU on March 29, liberating a future Labour government from EU Single Market rules and trading with EU and other countries on WTO terms if necessary, Britain's Communists declared at the weekend."

https://communist-party.org.uk/britain/2487-britain-should-leave-the-eu-on-wto-terms-communists-propose.html?fbclid=IwAR0o0uqRS8Mhuh-tmghFonLlM4ZyhFj5pvbMT6b1P8O31BSHMNzizYq0uXg

So Theresa gotta go back to the EU and negotiate what both she and the EU say can't be negotiated, on an issue she doesn't have an answer too. 

Gotta feeling we we may be going around in another circle here. But hey, what the hell, it's not like we pushed for time or anything. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

So Theresa gotta go back to the EU and negotiate what both she and the EU say can't be negotiated, on an issue she doesn't have an answer too. 

Gotta feeling we we may be going around in another circle here. But hey, what the hell, it's not like we pushed for time or anything. 

Immediate statement from EU President, Donald Tusk:

DyG0MV6WsAIxajB.jpeg

9 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I think the most relevant votes to the ammendments tonight were the voting down of Dominic Grieves and Yvette Coopers ammendments and Sir Graham Brady's ammendment being accepted. The immediate response from Donald Tusk is expected surely.

I think I'm going to give up predicting this stuff. 

I thought hard brexit was gone when the last may vote was lost. 

Tonight the pendulum has swung. 

That said, if the EU stick to their pretty consistent position, it may come down to no deal vs either an extension or 2nd ref. At least half the cabinet will resign if no deal becomes inevitable and TM really won't want to go down in history as the PM that instigates that. 

Who knows where this is headed now. 

Edited by Toddybad

8 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

I think I'm going to give up predicting this stuff. 

I thought hard brexit was gone when the last may vote was lost. 

Tonight the pendulum has swung. 

That said, if the EU stick to their pretty consistent position, it may come down to no deal vs either an extension or 2nd ref. At least half the cabinet will resign if no deal becomes inevitable and TM really won't want to go down in history as the PM that instigates that. 

Who knows where this is headed now. 

Who knows indeed, however the EU have been asking for a clear message about what we want, and now they have it. 

Not as fence sitting as the Irish. The back stop not for changing, if there's no deal there definitely won't be a hard border, EU no deal means a hard border.

• Sad 1

I can’t see that last nights votes make much difference. Basically we’re back to May going back to the EU cap in hand to beg for what they’ve already dismissed. She’s not even going back with a plan, just a wording fudge designed to satisfy her own right wing, no concrete proposals.

The UK press are making out it’s some sort of breakthrough. I just can’t see the EU blinking first, and I’m quite sure May knows this. The only possible logic in her position is that she’s kicking the proverbial can down the road to a point where she can threaten Brexiteers with a delay and/or softer Brexit, and Remainers with No Deal, and hope to drive through the original deal on the back of that.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Iphone sales are down with apple expecting to reduce prices by up to 30%. Better make sure you don't download the latest update!

This is the problem. Whenever there’s a downturn in sales it is within the power of the phone manufacturers, particularly Apple, to deliberately trash older phones through updates. It seems that no one is trying to stop them. Where are those EU bureaucrats when you need them?

12 hours ago, davieG said:

It depends on who blinks first.

How depressing. Is that what we've come to? 

Like most, I've almost given up trying to second-guess what happens next. For what it's worth, even if there's a slim chance of some last-minute EU concession, that's highly unlikely in the next few weeks, I suspect. They will know that a (non-binding) amendment was passed tonight opposing No Deal. They will also know that half the cabinet is threatening to resign if May persists in heading towards No Deal. That's aside from EU unity and Single Market integrity being paramount to them.

I'd expect a further bust-up in parliament in a fortnight, after the EU reject all attempts to re-open the Withdrawal Agreement. Maybe they'll offer some codicil of questionable legal status....but would the ERG/DUP accept that? Doubtful....which surely leaves them opposing May's Deal and many Tory Moderates defecting to some other option so as to avoid No Deal? I might be quite wrong, though....and have little idea what that "other option" might be. An A50 extension and renegotiated Soft Brexit likelier than a second referendum or election?

12 hours ago, davieG said:

Not as fence sitting as the Irish. The back stop not for changing, if there's no deal there definitely won't be a hard border, EU no deal means a hard border.

For good and obvious reasons, the Irish will do everything they can to avoid a hard border. But to protect the integrity and trade legality of its single market, the EU may require a hard border - or the WTO may do so via complaints from other nations. Brexiteers are bonkers if they think that they can trade under a different Customs regime to their neighbour with no border checks, no deal - and no opposition from other trading nations worldwide.

Meanwhile, the UK insists that it wants to operate a different Customs regime. It rejects the idea of the UK staying in the Customs Union. It rejects the idea of N. Ireland alone staying in the Customs Union. It rejects the idea of checks on trade crossing the Irish Sea. It repeatedly accepts the backstop concept - but seeks to renege on this commitment, then seeks to replace that commitment at the last minute.....without having anything to replace it with.....and expects to be treated as a trusted negotiating partner!

I really, really don't feel that the UK is in a position to criticise the stance adopted by the Irish. I feel we should be apologising for our callous contempt towards them.

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Iphone sales are down with apple expecting to reduce prices by up to 30%. Better make sure you don't download the latest update!

Ahhhh  non brexit/politics talk you are a breath of fresh air mate lol

Who buys iphones anyways? Tossers (but not you if you own one)

17 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Ahhhh  non brexit/politics talk you are a breath of fresh air mate lol

Who buys iphones anyways? Tossers (but not you if you own one)

What's brexit? Is it that thing that no one was the slightest bit bothered about until the politicians decided to do a nationwide poll asking for peoples thoughts on it and when they didn't like the answers they were given, decided to ignore democracy and turn the uk into the laughing stock of the world and consequently turn it into something that makes us believe they have saved the country and expect the population to honour them by giving our confidence to take the country forward via another nationwide poll.

28 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What's brexit? Is it that thing that no one was the slightest bit bothered about until the politicians decided to do a nationwide poll asking for peoples thoughts on it and when they didn't like the answers they were given, decided to ignore democracy and turn the uk into the laughing stock of the world and consequently turn it into something that makes us believe they have saved the country and expect the population to honour them by giving our confidence to take the country forward via another nationwide poll.

No.  I think she means junction 13 of

the M5 that leads you off to Michael Wood services or through Clifton into Bristol.

Locals refer to it as the ‘Brexit (Bristol Exit)’. The word does seem to have been hijacked somewhat.

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

No.  I think she means junction 13 of

the M5 that leads you off to Michael Wood services or through Clifton into Bristol.

Locals refer to it as the ‘Brexit (Bristol Exit)’. The word does seem to have been hijacked somewhat.

It's been one pile-up after another at that junction recently. Drivers trying to do U-turns. Those unsure whether to drive on the right or the left, or on the hard shoulder or the soft verge.

They tried to set up a relief parking area on the road leading to the Pembroke-Rosslare ferry, known locally as the Irish Backstop, but that's just made things worse.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

This is the problem. Whenever there’s a downturn in sales it is within the power of the phone manufacturers, particularly Apple, to deliberately trash older phones through updates. It seems that no one is trying to stop them. Where are those EU bureaucrats when you need them?

There nothing stopping the UK bereaucrats doing something.