Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

2019 New Year's Resolutions?

It's coming up to that time of year where some of us begin reflecting on the previous 12 months and starting to think about the year ahead.

So if you're into New Year's resolutions or setting goals, here's the place to put em. For me, I have a financial goal in mind that I need to achieve along with the related activities required. I also want to continue with my gym membership and reach/maintain my goal weight. Finally, stay off the booze and eat regular meals instead of picking/grazing all the time. 

• Like 1

Generally I am pretty content after this year, other than the odd shit day etc, so 2019 won’t really see much new for me.

I always try to set myself a challenging fitness goal so to complete something that requires training and dedication that makes me feel good about myself will probably be the aim. Not entirely sure what this will be yet though.

• Like 1

Main goal is to complete a course I started through work in October which should end in August. So will be putting a lot of effort in to succeeding in that.

Went through a break-up at the start of this year which took me longer than expected to get over, finding someone new will be another 'goal' as I would like to settle down sooner rather than later!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Going to quit smoking I think, prices are getting outrageous 

Good luck mate :thumbup:

I tried patches, gum, pills and everything but the only thing that worked for me was vaping. Over 5 years without smoking now and I couldn't afford to smoke even if I wanted to!

13 minutes ago, Langston said:

The usual - lose the post Christmas weight is a priority. I fancy cutting out drinking in the week entirely, it's something I've always struggled with.

Funnily enough, I did this at the start of this year as well after the festive period. 

Makes a world of difference to mental well-being as well as physically, too. I lost quite a bit of weight as a result of it and didn't even fancy drinking that much more at the weekend, either.

38 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Funnily enough, I did this at the start of this year as well after the festive period. 

Makes a world of difference to mental well-being as well as physically, too. I lost quite a bit of weight as a result of it and didn't even fancy drinking that much more at the weekend, either.

Fair play mate, exactly why I wanna do it too, to be honest – I rarely (if ever) drink at home but I always find if I've got a spare twenty minutes waiting for a train home after work or something I'll have a pint beforehand, soon turns into two, three etc. It doesn't help that I drink like a ****ing fish. Come the weekend I really need to cut down on the sheer volume I'm drinking, I don't want to bin Friday / Saturday boozing altogether by any stretch, I love beer and it's a big social thing for me, but I could definitely slash the weekend intake as well as cutting out the weekdays.

I had a month off it entirely in September and found it made me feel hideous, maybe it's a case of weaning down slowly, beginning with stopping in the week seems as good a time as any!

4 minutes ago, Langston said:

I had a month off it entirely in September and found it made me feel hideous, maybe it's a case of weaning down slowly, beginning with stopping in the week seems as good a time as any!

I went through a period of drinking quite heavily and when I stopped at first I initially felt pretty bad. Had a heavy session again after two days off and felt right as rain. That was when I realised I probably needed to cut down, slowly, as you say. The same happened with coffee when I tried to cut down on that.

2 hours ago, pSinatra said:

To try & lose a bit of bulk.  I intentionally put some weight on a while back, as I was too skinny.  I over did it a bit & now none of my clothes fit me.

I've got the opposite problem mate - I need to put weight on. Did you bulk up through just doing weights or by eating more/different foods?

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've got the opposite problem mate - I need to put weight on. Did you bulk up through just doing weights or by eating more/different foods?

Plenty of meat mate, it's never let me down.

In fact eating even more meat is going to be mine.

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

To try enjoy the here and now more.

Nice one. I spend way too much time in my head thinking about the past of worrying about the future.

Should take a lesson from my kids really who only enjoy the here and now :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Izzy said:

2 hours ago, pSinatra said:

To try & lose a bit of bulk.  I intentionally put some weight on a while back, as I was too skinny.  I over did it a bit & now none of my clothes fit me.

Weight is a bloody nightmare. I used to weigh 16 stone when I was 16 years old, had to lose it as I was on meds increasing my cholesterol. Lost a lot, not in the right way, ended up with food issues etc. Now weigh in at around 10 stone, which I think is about right for my bone structure. I run four times a week, lift (pathetic) weights. Protein shake. Suddenly I've got a body that marginally resembles the one I always wanted.

I agree with Matt on the meats. I eat plenty of chicken and lean meats. Venison/Zebra burgers from Makro are also great. I'd eat Turkey every day if I could to be honest and my protein shakes after a run and weight lift also help.

It took me a long time to start embracing food, realising that a night out or a meal out weren't going to make me 16 stone again overnight. A few pints weren't going to give me an instant beer gut.

If we look at the positives, mind. XS, 28 inch jeans and 30 inch suit trousers never sell out first. Unfortunately this is countered by some very liberal interpretations of "skinny" fit clothing, which I think is only used to make larger people feel good about themselves.

Good luck on the weight gain/loss!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

If anyone’s resolution is to join a gym, please don’t join mine. Thanks 

Is it genuinely bad in the first few weeks of January? I've read glimpses of the cliche that they're rammed for the first few weeks then fall away. Would love to know if it's true, how annoying it is and, most importantly, when you can predict the 'fall away' will happen!

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Nice one. I spend way too much time in my head thinking about the past of worrying about the future.

Should take a lesson from my kids really who only enjoy the here and now :)

Yeah, I waste too much time focusing on the future and miss the very things happening right under my nose. 

I hope to change :fc:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Is it genuinely bad in the first few weeks of January? I've read glimpses of the cliche that they're rammed for the first few weeks then fall away. Would love to know if it's true, how annoying it is and, most importantly, when you can predict the 'fall away' will happen!

I’ve been on my lunch today and it’s already horrific when it’s pretty dead usually. Horrible places in January, it’s not a myth.