Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

2019 New Year's Resolutions?

Got a few:

- Move in with my girlfriend

- Pass 3 of the 6 exams I'm taking (one down already, so hoping to have 4 in the bag by 2020)

- Get my handicap cut to 3 or lower

I made a bucket list earlier this year and have been adding to that, I've already booked in to tick one of those off. Going to the Cheltenham festival in March. 

• Like 1

Make my main source of income come from teaching. It's the only thing I really enjoy these days.

Eat less meat. I think it's probably healthier. Although I can't be arsed to cut it out completely.

Take up a new hobby. Maybe dancing or volunteering again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

To take more personal responsibility for my education - I can’t keep relying on Buce for it, he’s a busy man.  :)

Good idea. 

Happy New Year, Carl. :) 

Edited by Buce
  • Haha 2

Quit drinking for the month of January, which is a tough ask since i got so much booze for Xmas and i drink most nights.

Eat better and cut out carbs to lose weight, ditching bread, potatoes and pasta. But on the plus side that means egg bacon and mushrooms for lunch works and steak with veggies at dinner. 

Need to get healthier so plan to walk more and spend less time sat on my arse. Would like to quit smoking but i think that would be too much to do whilst also quitting drinking and dieting. 

• Like 1

I'm not making any New Year resolutions, mainly because if I feel I need to do something I don't wait for a special occasion, I just do it.

Quite a few on here want to lose weight.  I've only ever found two ways to do that successfully.  The first is to eat less - as a species we've been hungry for 99% of our existence and we are programmed to eat whatever we can, so we don't often leave food on the plate.  Problem is we cook more than we need as we don't want anyone to go hungry so often overeat and as a result put on weight.  Just try smaller meals, I did and found that I still wasn't hungry but I wasn't piling on the pounds either.

The other way I lost weight was gentle exercise.  Rigorous exercise can build muscle, OK if that's what you want but muscle is heavy so you may not lose much weight that way, but you will distribute it better.  I took up doing brisk walks during my spare time (including lunch break at work) and probably averaged a couple of miles per day.  I the first 18 months I dropped three inches off my waistline without dieting.  I'm now stable at the waistline I had in my late 20's, which I'm happy with.

• Like 1

On 28/12/2018 at 21:47, Foxxed said:

Make my main source of income come from teaching. It's the only thing I really enjoy these days.

Eat less meat. I think it's probably healthier. Although I can't be arsed to cut it out completely.

Take up a new hobby. Maybe dancing or volunteering again.

You'd be surprised how easy it is to cut meat out; so much good stuff you can make for relatively cheap and quickly. Found fish is a good intermediate, checking the shops after reductions can make it cheaper too.

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

You'd be surprised how easy it is to cut meat out; so much good stuff you can make for relatively cheap and quickly. Found fish is a good intermediate, checking the shops after reductions can make it cheaper too.

I did it a few years ago. Doing it again since I've had vague health problems. Still eating fish and probably meat around friends houses. But when I choose I'll take something vegetarian. This may mean a falafel instead of a donner!

6 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I did it a few years ago. Doing it again since I've had vague health problems. Still eating fish and probably meat around friends houses. But when I choose I'll take something vegetarian. This may mean a falafel instead of a donner!

That last sentence explains why I would never become a vegetarian.

I need tweaks more than a drastic overhaul, and will steal the "meatless day each week" and "brisk walks at lunchtime" resolutions.  My limited willpower may handle those.

Somehow our crankier members are absent from this very positive and supportive thread.  On their behalf ...

IMG_5477.thumb.PNG.13f1329edd9b942ece240eabcd6baf63.PNG

I quit my job so need to make the most of the next 6 months until I think about setting up my company, as long as brexit doesn't **** everything up. 

1. health - lose some weight, tone up, maybe take up a martial art for the first time.

2. health - try to be more positive and beat some of my inner demons - must have better mental health this year

3. travel - go to as many ****ing places as possible - HK, Seoul, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and possibly India already planned - going to try and squeeze in a few more short trips in-between. 

4. music - finish at least a 4-track EP, would ideally like to finish a whole LP. 

5. DIY - progress the house as much as possible. 

6. love - try to be a better husband and less selfish sometimes. i'm generous and always doing nice things but just a general arsehole, tbh. 

7. business - set up my mini-business selling acrylic turntable platter covers - keep a bit of money coming in whilst jobless.

8. photography - photograph the living shit out of everything and everyone for street photography and try to get my first gig as a back-up photographer at a wedding this year.

some other stuff too. don't want to set too many goals because I will most likely just get high and sit about in my pants anyway. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I quit my job so need to make the most of the next 6 months until I think about setting up my company, as long as brexit doesn't **** everything up. 

1. health - lose some weight, tone up, maybe take up a martial art for the first time.

2. health - try to be more positive and beat some of my inner demons - must have better mental health this year

3. travel - go to as many ****ing places as possible - HK, Seoul, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and possibly India already planned - going to try and squeeze in a few more short trips in-between. 

4. music - finish at least a 4-track EP, would ideally like to finish a whole LP. 

5. DIY - progress the house as much as possible. 

6. love - try to be a better husband and less selfish sometimes. i'm generous and always doing nice things but just a general arsehole, tbh. 

7. business - set up my mini-business selling acrylic turntable platter covers - keep a bit of money coming in whilst jobless.

8. photography - photograph the living shit out of everything and everyone for street photography and try to get my first gig as a back-up photographer at a wedding this year.

some other stuff too. don't want to set too many goals because I will most likely just get high and sit about in my pants anyway. 

If you go to India, Gaz, use the railway to get around - some of the routes pass through some mind-blowing scenery.