Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

2019 New Year's Resolutions?

7 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Is it genuinely bad in the first few weeks of January? I've read glimpses of the cliche that they're rammed for the first few weeks then fall away. Would love to know if it's true, how annoying it is and, most importantly, when you can predict the 'fall away' will happen!

Yep, there's a noticeable difference in the first week of January especially. I usually find it tails off about two weeks in though, people give up on it too easily.

48 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I've got the opposite problem mate - I need to put weight on. Did you bulk up through just doing weights or by eating more/different foods?

I needed to put weight on for quite a few years.  I'm only 5'8" but at my lowest weight I was just over 9 stone.  I felt healthy, but I was tired of everyone telling me I looked too thin.  Chunky people don't like being called a fat bastard & I didn't like being called a skinny bastard - except when you're thin they think it's fine to tell you all the time.

My work is physically hard, so I don't do any other exercise.  I just ate more, drank more & the weight slowly started increasing.  I'm up to a little over 11 stone, but none of my clothes fit me.  I reckon at least half the clothing I own is too small for me.

It's also hard work doing a physically demanding job with an extra 2 stone strapped to your back.  I'm 47 & feel it's going to be harder to lose weight now.  

Healthy weight gain or weight loss means a change of lifestyle....something I'm not sure I've got in me.

What are you doing to gain weight & what's your target?

• Like 1

Finish off my course in Transport Planning, something that should be doable although I've got to catch up on one particular area.

Seriously sort my diet and weight out.

Increase the amount of money I save.

Try and earn more money. Try and create a passive income. **** knows how mind lol 

57 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

If we look at the positives, mind. XS, 28 inch jeans and 30 inch suit trousers never sell out first. Unfortunately this is countered by some very liberal interpretations of "skinny" fit clothing, which I think is only used to make larger people feel good about themselves.

I used to make a killing at sale time. 

I go America quite a bit, who I think have altered their size guides to accommodate their increasing waistlines.  A medium there would be a small here.

Seeing as I'm usually a small here - I end up in the kids section over there.

38 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

I needed to put weight on for quite a few years.  I'm only 5'8" but at my lowest weight I was just over 9 stone.  I felt healthy, but I was tired of everyone telling me I looked too thin.  Chunky people don't like being called a fat bastard & I didn't like being called a skinny bastard - except when you're thin they think it's fine to tell you all the time.

My work is physically hard, so I don't do any other exercise.  I just ate more, drank more & the weight slowly started increasing.  I'm up to a little over 11 stone, but none of my clothes fit me.  I reckon at least half the clothing I own is too small for me.

It's also hard work doing a physically demanding job with an extra 2 stone strapped to your back.  I'm 47 & feel it's going to be harder to lose weight now.  

Healthy weight gain or weight loss means a change of lifestyle....something I'm not sure I've got in me.

What are you doing to gain weight & what's your target?

I was always a skinny bastard as a kid and around 9 stone by my late teens. In my 20's I ballooned to 13.5 stone due to excessive beer consumption and living off takeaways then I got really ill in my early 30's and went back down to 9 stone again. Since then I've always struggled to gain weight and dropped below 8 stone this time last year when ill again. 

I joined a gym in May with a goal of getting to 10 stone. I got to 9st 8lbs in October but back to 9st 2lbs now. It's so frustrating as I just don't have much of an appetite anymore. I'm a similar age to you mate but my job is mainly sat on my arse. My PT has told me to drink protein shakes (which I do daily) but they fill me up and end up replacing food rather than supplementing it. He's also told me to eat more meat and carb but it's a struggle.

I possibly burn off more calories at the gym trying to do weights than I consume each day, so that's maybe why I'm going backwards!

Take more guitar lessons ( I was bought one to one lessons with the Stranglers guitarist, John Ellis...but I need a shed load of lessons before that so I don't embarrass myself - lessons before lessons, ffs) lol

Continue my fitness regime and become one of those buff middle aged blokes that gets the mums swooning at the school gates

Eat less meat and explore veggie food options a bit more seriously

Build a house

• Like 1

Got a whole heap of things I want to do in 2019, although I'm not calling them resolutions as most of them are more like targets/goals anyway.

A lot of running themed ones - run a marathon, improve strength work/cross training, avoid long layoffs through injury etc etc. Few (ambitious) target times I'd like to hit as well.

Fix up my diet. I eat like trash but get away with it for now, but I need to make big changes to keep it that way. Cutting out fizzy drinks, lessening the amount of alcohol I drink and going part time veggie (I cba with the whole thing, but I almost never eat veggie meals so might try forcing myself into a 2-day-a-week veggie diet, or something like that, just to give extra incentive).

Save up for a house. Been renting with my partner for almost 4 years and want to get out of this crappy flat and into out own place that we can put a stamp on.

Learn to drive. Turned 25 this year and been putting it off year after year for one reason or another (even let my theory test pass lapse so have to retake that). 2019 is  gonna be the year.

And finally get myself a season ticket after years of missing out. 

11 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

People genuinely struggle to put on weight? I only have to look at a wicked zinger tower meal with a side of gravy, full fat coke and an ice cream for pudding and I put on weight.

:) 

Feeling hungry and having a big appetite was something I always took for granted mate. 

Now I rarely, if ever, feel hungry. I haven't eaten a normal/large meal for nearly 15 years and would love nothing more than to sit an devour a full English or a Sunday roast :(

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

:) 

Feeling hungry and having a big appetite was something I always took for granted mate. 

Now I rarely, if ever, feel hungry. I haven't eaten a normal/large meal for nearly 15 years and would love nothing more than to sit an devour a full English or a Sunday roast :(

Not good. I guess I’m lucky I have an appetite but I do have to watch what I eat in the week otherwise my weight balloons.

I’m about 5.8 and normally weigh about 10.10 but just after Christmas and Boxing Day eating and drinking I am up to 11.2. 

46 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I was always a skinny bastard as a kid and around 9 stone by my late teens. In my 20's I ballooned to 13.5 stone due to excessive beer consumption and living off takeaways then I got really ill in my early 30's and went back down to 9 stone again. Since then I've always struggled to gain weight and dropped below 8 stone this time last year when ill again. 

I joined a gym in May with a goal of getting to 10 stone. I got to 9st 8lbs in October but back to 9st 2lbs now. It's so frustrating as I just don't have much of an appetite anymore. I'm a similar age to you mate but my job is mainly sat on my arse. My PT has told me to drink protein shakes (which I do daily) but they fill me up and end up replacing food rather than supplementing it. He's also told me to eat more meat and carb but it's a struggle.

I possibly burn off more calories at the gym trying to do weights than I consume each day, so that's maybe why I'm going backwards!

I think you need a new PT, mate...

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Not good. I guess I’m lucky I have an appetite but I do have to watch what I eat in the week otherwise my weight balloons.

I’m about 5.8 and normally weigh about 10.10 but just after Christmas and Boxing Day eating and drinking I am up to 11.2. 

Guessing your age and knowing how fit you are, I'd imagine you're pretty much bang in the middle of the BMI chart mate. A few sessions down the gym and you'll soon be back to 10st 10lbs I'm sure :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

I think you need a new PT, mate...

Maybe, but it's not his fault the protein shakes fill me up! Perhaps I might bin the shakes off for a bit and try to eat more instead...

He knows I struggle to eat volume so pretty much tells me to get as many calories in me as I can (as long as they're healthy calories and not shite ones)

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

Good luck mate :thumbup:

I tried patches, gum, pills and everything but the only thing that worked for me was vaping. Over 5 years without smoking now and I couldn't afford to smoke even if I wanted to!

I tried gum but it made me smoke more lol , I think I've got enough self control out of work and sober to go completely cold turkey, but after a drink i get very desperate for one

6 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't usually make resolutions but this year is different.

My daughter is 16 this year, and ever since she was born I've had that down on the calendar as the time when (hopefully) she'll be mature enough to cope with me being absent long enough to take on the thru-hikes that I have on my bucket list. I keep myself at about 80% of the fitness level required, so starting next week I intend stepping up my training routine to the next level, ready for the Bibbulmun Track in September.

Looks awesome mate, best of luck with the training :thumbup:

How long do you think it will take to complete the hike?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Maybe, but it's not his fault the protein shakes fill me up! Perhaps I might bin the shakes off for a bit and try to eat more instead...

He knows I struggle to eat volume so pretty much tells me to get as many calories in me as I can (as long as they're healthy calories and not shite ones)

The clue is in the word protein, mate - shakes tend to be low in calories, high in protein; if your body doesn't get enough calories, it will break down protein for energy, so your shakes are not actually providing the protein you need for weight gain/muscle growth.

Edited by Buce
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Buce said:

I don't usually make resolutions but this year is different.

My daughter is 16 this year, and ever since she was born I've had that down on the calendar as the time when (hopefully) she'll be mature enough to cope with me being absent long enough to take on the thru-hikes that I have on my bucket list. I keep myself at about 80% of the fitness level required, so starting next week I intend stepping up my training routine to the next level, ready for the Bibbulmun Track in September.

What’s is the timescale to complete that buce? 25 - 30 days?

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

13.5 stone is what 190lbs or so. In North America thats far from fat bastard lol.  Lets say its manly. But you have confirmed for me that i am a fat bastard so losing weight is on the top of my list. I dont even have a beer gut but do need to lose about 1.5 stone. Tall order but doable.

My goals are to lose some weight and masterbate more.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Looks awesome mate, best of luck with the training :thumbup:

How long do you think it will take to complete the hike?

Well, it's a thousand km, and because of environmental reasons, it is encouraged that you use pre-determined camping spots which are a convenient 20 km average apart (also the only guaranteed water source), so 50 days of hiking. The track only passes through a handful of communities, so I will probably take a zero-day at each in order to resupply and get some laundry done. Also, I'm looking into the possibility of hiring a canoe in one of the trail towns (Pemberton) and taking a few days out canoe camping, so somewhere in between 55/60 days.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Strokes said:

What’s is the timescale to complete that buce? 25 - 30 days?

If I was in a hurry, it could be done by double-hutting, which would be 25 days. But that would require head-down hiking, which would be a crying shame in such a unique environment. One of its main attractions to me is that something like 60% of the flora grows nowhere else on Earth (not even in other parts of Australia) and since I'll be following the Spring South, I hope to see it at its best. So, as I said in the previous post, I intend taking a leisurely 50 days or so, which will give me plenty of time to stop and stare.

• Like 1