Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

So that's 10 dropped points listed for this season. Now obviously we should be annihilating all 4 of them. It's not like Everton and West Ham are solid mid table sides who are at least as good as us and it's not like the Burnley game actually did have a large off the pitch influence.

I know you were about during the O Neil years and similar results happened regularly under him. We'd play great and beat Villa or Spurs one week and then be shocking and lose against Derby or Wimbledon the next. Pretty sure this has been a regular thing during our entire top flight history

Also if we had those extra 10 points we'd be level with a vastly superior Arsenal side and pushing for a CL place and that was just never going to realistically happen.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

If we had scored the peno we'd probably have won and would be 7th. That isnt just fine. Its tickity boo. His point stands

And we're still 8th btw

It’s not about where we are in the table it is about us being unable to consistently perform and more often than not dropping points we should be getting e.g draw against a 10 men West Ham at home, draw against Fulham, loss against Crystal Palace these are points we need to be winning if we are looking to push on and not fade into mid table obscurity.

I will give Puel credit where it is due and his tactical changes worked wonders against Man City but he doesn’t have a plan for teams that are coming to us and playing for a draw and is making some basic mistakes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I can take reasonable debate on whether Puel is the right man but we are currently 8th.  Where would be acceptable?  7th?  6th?  2nd?  I am asking honestly.  Of the big 6 which do you think we should finish above?  As I said, Puel has his faults and we are not playing our best football but I do firmly believe your reaction is slightly OTT given our position.  Oh, and welcome to the forum, I hope you are well.  X

Thanks sorry I probably was a bit over the top I just get a bit passionate sometimes but if you look at my next post I think I have explained myself a bit more clearly. 

1 hour ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

It’s not about where we are in the table it is about us being unable to consistently perform and more often than not dropping points we should be getting e.g draw against a 10 men West Ham at home, draw against Fulham, loss against Crystal Palace these are points we need to be winning if we are looking to push on and not fade into mid table obscurity.

I will give Puel credit where it is due and his tactical changes worked wonders against Man City but he doesn’t have a plan for teams that are coming to us and playing for a draw and is making some basic mistakes.

The Puel sympathisers know this it’s been explained to them many times it’s pretty much their only go to argument though really. They probably are that blinded they didn’t see the Cardiff result coming.

Edited by elvisfmcfly
Changed from Puel lovers as the Puel lovers all deny their love for him!

1 minute ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Thanks sorry I probably was a bit over the top I just get a bit passionate sometimes but if you look at my next post I think I have explained myself a bit more clearly. 

I understand what you are saying but also, we just beat Man City and Chelsea.  We are inconsistent but I am not sure what else we can reasonably expect at this stage in the process of our team building.  The teams at the top of the league are consistently good because they spend a lot more money than us.  The teams at the bottom are consistently poorer, usually because they spend less or are newer to the league.  The teams in the middle tend to be inconsistent.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.  If we won every game we would be top.  Those teams in the middle often lose games they expect to win and win when they expect to lose.  We are 8th (one could argue we could be higher) but I can't see it is as bad as people claim.  If our team were all 34 I would worry but we are young and I can see what the plan is.  Is it taking too long?  Maybe.  Do we struggle to break teams down?  Definitely.  Can I understand Puel getting SOME stick?  of course.  My argument is not that he never deserves flack but that the flack is not commensurate with our current position.  Anyhoo, I respect your opinions and you do raise some good points I just feel we need to back Puel for this season because the constant chat of the sack cannot be good for him or the team.  X

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Yes if we are to push on we need to be winning more of these games of course. But at least you can admit that today for example we were a hair's breadth from 3 points. 

The squad depth doesnt have substance, we are a couple of transfer windows from being able to play consistently how Puel wants. Its not really manager sacking territory

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

We've struggled at times against weaker teams in the top flight throughout our history with one glorious season as an exception. The size of club we are it's what happens. And it's not like we haven't beaten Huddersfield, Cardiff, Newcastle and Southampton already this season. We are eventually gonna fade into midtable obscurity anyway, it's absolutely inevitable. Everton have been trying to get out of it for about 25 years with very sporadic success. Most of the other clubs trying to get out of it like Stoke, Villa and West Brom are now in the Championship. To get out of mid table you need either ludicrous money like Man City or Chelsea or get ludicrously lucky with your managerial appointment like Spurs. Neither is all that likely.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

The Puel lovers know this it’s been explained to them many times it’s pretty much their only go to argument though really. They probably are that blinded they didn’t see the Cardiff result coming.

The burden is on you to prove that someone needs sacking. Its not about loving Puel, its about the club doing the best that it can.

He's had 1 summer window anyway. Its not his team. I dont love the way we play all the time, im just realistic and dont need someone to lose their job whenever we lose a football game

I could as easily say the "turgid football" is the only thing "Puel haters" can say. There are loada of positive things he's done for us. Its not just league position

But believe me, in the real world, Tinkerbell, league position is the be all and end all, and Puel is looking like taking us to the best league position finish we've had apart from the title win

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

The Puel lovers know this it’s been explained to them many times it’s pretty much their only go to argument though really. They probably are that blinded they didn’t see the Cardiff result coming.

I don’t think there are any Puel lovers in the way there are Puel haters. I think a lot of us just don’t want a change of manager  every year and want to give a man a chance to develop a young team. It really isn’t as binary as you suggest with your “Puel lover” phrase. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I can take reasonable debate on whether Puel is the right man but we are currently 8th.  Where would be acceptable?  7th?  6th?  2nd?  I am asking honestly.  Of the big 6 which do you think we should finish above?  As I said, Puel has his faults and we are not playing our best football but I do firmly believe your reaction is slightly OTT given our position.  Oh, and welcome to the forum, I hope you are well.  X

Great post 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I understand what you are saying but also, we just beat Man City and Chelsea.  We are inconsistent but I am not sure what else we can reasonably expect at this stage in the process of our team building.  The teams at the top of the league are consistently good because they spend a lot more money than us.  The teams at the bottom are consistently poorer, usually because they spend less or are newer to the league.  The teams in the middle tend to be inconsistent.  Sometimes good, sometimes bad.  If we won every game we would be top.  Those teams in the middle often lose games they expect to win and win when they expect to lose.  We are 8th (one could argue we could be higher) but I can't see it is as bad as people claim.  If our team were all 34 I would worry but we are young and I can see what the plan is.  Is it taking too long?  Maybe.  Do we struggle to break teams down?  Definitely.  Can I understand Puel getting SOME stick?  of course.  My argument is not that he never deserves flack but that the flack is not commensurate with our current position.  Anyhoo, I respect your opinions and you do raise some good points I just feel we need to back Puel for this season because the constant chat of the sack cannot be good for him or the team.  X

I understand your point and I am willing to give Puel more time/ till the end of the season to see if we can improve it’s just when I’m not sure what it is now but I saw a stat before the chealsea game that in our last 38 games under Puel equivalent of a season we only got 42 points which is relegation battle territory and I am worrying that we are not improving. But let’s hope he proves me wrong and we can have a strong finish to the season

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

You have got to be kidding me did you watch the game today we were awful! And other than the odd game this season it is what we have looked like most games Puel hasn’t got a clue and needs to go.

We weren’t awful today. If you think that I assume you weren’t around in the megson Holloway season? That was a true definition of awful. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I understand your point and I am willing to give Puel more time/ till the end of the season to see if we can improve it’s just when I’m not sure what it is now but I saw a stat before the chealsea game that in our last 38 games under Puel equivalent of a season we only got 42 points which is relegation battle territory and I am worrying that we are not improving. But let’s hope he proves me wrong and we can have a strong finish to the season

This is the kind of chat I want with people, I wish more posters actually had reasonable discussions on things they disagree about, thank you for your response.  I am more optimistic than you but I do understand why you have concerns.  X

Just now, Nickfosse said:

We weren’t awful today. If you think that I assume you weren’t around in the megson Holloway season? That was a true definition of awful. 

I was around then and yes we were awful then and I probably did over react a bit but I just didn’t see many positives from today’s game. 

Just now, lcfcbluearmy said:

I was around then and yes we were awful then and I probably did over react a bit but I just didn’t see many positives from today’s game. 

The match of the day highlights and match stats are a long way from awful in my opinion. Oh and I was at the game too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

42 points is miles away from a relegation battle, especially this year. Something as low as 34 could keep you up comfortably. 

7 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

42 points is miles away from a relegation battle, especially this year. Something as low as 34 could keep you up comfortably. 

Couldn’t be further from the truth, I’ve not opened FT for a month because I couldn’t stand the whinging and moaning about just about everything. Chose not to be impacted by the negative energy and negative thought processing. Thought the booing and reaction at the game today was unjustified and became aware that some people with influence read forums so thought I’d  add my 5 pennorth. Not the best night to stand up for the manager if you want to play to the gallery. Anyway, love and peace to you for the New Year. 

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

For some looking back misty-eyed to the halcyon days of the title season, remember we only gathered 2 points from 9 at Christmas - fortunate to escape with only a 1-nil defeat at Anfield, then two 'turgid' (using that recent common phrase on here) 0-0s against Man City and 10-man Bournemouth. It wasn't always all-out counterattacking football. 

In that light, this year's return is much better and really we should have picked up the full nine. The penalty would have sealed the win. 

I admit Puel seems to make selection mistakes, Hamza today for example. And I hope he rectifies those going forward as he needs to and others. But we should look at the bigger picture. We haven't splashed the cash to be title winners again as did Chelsea and Man City although that's no guarantee - Liverpool have spent millions and still no PL title to date whilst Man United have failed since Fergie went. We are bringing through younger talent and trying to evolve alternative styles. Yes we do need some greater creativity in midfield. But we are in a fairly good place to move on. Recriminations over being eighth or mid table in the PL? I bet they'd love to have that in Forest or Coventry. 

What about  the display at Villa in our title winning year far worse than anything I have seen this year Villa probablly the worse ever premier side

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Vitriol ??????

Why do I need to give thought about the next manager?

I'm quite happy to keep this manager if he can tweak a few things.

We don't need massive surgery, we just need Puel to change some bits.

If he makes the tweaks, we could be fully together as a team, a club, a fanbase.

I keep asking serious questions about the manager as I have a number of concerns but I don't believe I've demanded he be sacked, either here, on social media or the radio.

But don't let that cloud your agenda or other fools who think the same.

Just ignore it then, Buce.

On a serious note, he's abysmal for the broadcast media but that doesn't cloud my views of him as a manager. I don't think he really "gets" English football. He hasn't connected with the fans really. He struggles to connect with the players and his staff too. Even someone in the Cardiff camp told me today they could see problems. The media/press are there to ask questions. They do it with all clubs. I could be like Duncan Castles, effectively a mouthpiece for Mourinho, and he's considered a laughing stock in the business. Puel doesn't have much support from the press/media - bar one, who is also a Leicester fan - but that's nothing to do with how he is with us. That's because we go digging beneath the surface and there are issues to report. The happy clappy fans don't like hearing about them because it doesn't suit their own agendas. No-one in the press/media is trying to get Puel out. If Leicester are successful then it suits all of us. Puel just doesn't help himself, sadly. I like to hope he'll tweak things but, after 14 months, it doesn't seem likely that he will because he has his way and an unshakeable belief that what he does is right. Maybe he'll get it right with us. And if he does, and the team / club flourishes, then I - as a fan and journalist - will be delighted. Hope that explains it.

Im sorry, you have been consistently critical of our manager for almost a year now. Your tweet today suggesting that our record is not good enough is yet more evidence. I have no agenda, neither am I a fool. My very simple point is that undermining our Manager and not giving them time to develop a young team is foolhardy. 

9 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Vitriol ??????

Why do I need to give thought about the next manager?

I'm quite happy to keep this manager if he can tweak a few things.

We don't need massive surgery, we just need Puel to change some bits.

If he makes the tweaks, we could be fully together as a team, a club, a fanbase.

I keep asking serious questions about the manager as I have a number of concerns but I don't believe I've demanded he be sacked, either here, on social media or the radio.

But don't let that cloud your agenda or other fools who think the same.

Just ignore it then, Buce.

On a serious note, he's abysmal for the broadcast media but that doesn't cloud my views of him as a manager. I don't think he really "gets" English football. He hasn't connected with the fans really. He struggles to connect with the players and his staff too. Even someone in the Cardiff camp told me today they could see problems. The media/press are there to ask questions. They do it with all clubs. I could be like Duncan Castles, effectively a mouthpiece for Mourinho, and he's considered a laughing stock in the business. Puel doesn't have much support from the press/media - bar one, who is also a Leicester fan - but that's nothing to do with how he is with us. That's because we go digging beneath the surface and there are issues to report. The happy clappy fans don't like hearing about them because it doesn't suit their own agendas. No-one in the press/media is trying to get Puel out. If Leicester are successful then it suits all of us. Puel just doesn't help himself, sadly. I like to hope he'll tweak things but, after 14 months, it doesn't seem likely that he will because he has his way and an unshakeable belief that what he does is right. Maybe he'll get it right with us. And if he does, and the team / club flourishes, then I - as a fan and journalist - will be delighted. Hope that explains it.

Sounds like you want him gone tbh. Your twitter posts seem to aim to fan the flames.

We are technically successful atm no? League position wise? Aside from that we've had noise in the camp under Ranieri who was our most successful manager. Maybe noise is a good thing. For example, there was no noise under Shakey

We need to be aiming top ten this season, an improvement on the last, so 8th or 7th would be our realistic target.

After this summer i expect improvement, which specifically for me means integrating another striker who is decent and getting more dynamism in that CM area.  If I dont see that under Puel then I will start to be dissatisfied too. No sentiment, no happy clappy

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 2

Game after game after game. Months has gone by. We can see the problem. But Puel does not. It is really frustrating.

To be honest, I like Puel and what he has done in terms of the possession based element of the game that he brought to the team and also development of young players. But his insistence on using Ndidi and the problem he does not see with the lack of creativity in CM is extremely frustrating. 

After the Chelsea and Man City wins, I thought he saw the light. But his reversion back to his old ways against Cardiff tells me that he didn’t see the light. It was a fluke against Chelsea and Man City in terms of his team selection.

Why the particular frustration? Because it was also those two games that showed that the players we have really are very good and are capable of beating any team. We should be doing much better and more consistently than we are. As the commentators kept repeating during the Cardiff game too, Leicester has much more quality in them than they have shown. Yes I fully agree.

If we can get the players playing more consistently at the Chelsea/Man City game levels and not play with such defensive formation, leaving Vardy alone up front particularly against lower teams, we would be much higher in the table. We did win the league (so we are capable of more) and I truly believe we can do better as we still have very good players.

I am in two minds. I like Puel overall but his stubbornness on a few things is continuously costing us our winning mentality and results. I rather that he sees the light and stay with us, but if he will never do that, than I rather him leave sooner rather than later. 

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 2