Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Puel 'Facing the sack' - reports

21 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Oh come on. Pre match everyone was saying 3 defensive midfielders was too negative and not necessary at home to Cardiff. Now we've lost its "should have played 3 defensive midfielders". This hindsight armchair management to bash the manager for making the same decision they would have made (see how many people in the match thread were fine with the starting lineup) is tedious and pathetic

I think alot would have dropped Ndidi or Mendi for Choudhury.

For Puel's talk of using the 'resting' and rotation, Ndidi and Mendi have played almost every game this season, certainly every game over this Christmas period.

To not name him on the bench atleast is even more baffling, Matt Piper was saying as a young lad he must of been on a massive high to almost WTF? WTF have I done wrong.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

Just now, Matt said:

I think alot would have dropped Ndidi or Mendi for Choudhury.

For Puel using the 'resting' and rotation, Ndidi and Mendi have played almost every game this season, certainly every game over this Christmas period.

Yes, I would have as well (Ndidi out), but people complaining about Choudhury being dropped are the same complaining about a change in system, as if we could play the same way against a Cardiff side happy to keep it tight and hope for a wonder moment to snatch something as against a Man City side looking to assert their dominance again

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Vitriol ??????

Why do I need to give thought about the next manager?

I'm quite happy to keep this manager if he can tweak a few things.

We don't need massive surgery, we just need Puel to change some bits.

If he makes the tweaks, we could be fully together as a team, a club, a fanbase.

I keep asking serious questions about the manager as I have a number of concerns but I don't believe I've demanded he be sacked, either here, on social media or the radio.

But don't let that cloud your agenda or other fools who think the same.

Just ignore it then, Buce.

On a serious note, he's abysmal for the broadcast media but that doesn't cloud my views of him as a manager. I don't think he really "gets" English football. He hasn't connected with the fans really. He struggles to connect with the players and his staff too. Even someone in the Cardiff camp told me today they could see problems. The media/press are there to ask questions. They do it with all clubs. I could be like Duncan Castles, effectively a mouthpiece for Mourinho, and he's considered a laughing stock in the business. Puel doesn't have much support from the press/media - bar one, who is also a Leicester fan - but that's nothing to do with how he is with us. That's because we go digging beneath the surface and there are issues to report. The happy clappy fans don't like hearing about them because it doesn't suit their own agendas. No-one in the press/media is trying to get Puel out. If Leicester are successful then it suits all of us. Puel just doesn't help himself, sadly. I like to hope he'll tweak things but, after 14 months, it doesn't seem likely that he will because he has his way and an unshakeable belief that what he does is right. Maybe he'll get it right with us. And if he does, and the team / club flourishes, then I - as a fan and journalst - will be delighted. Hope that explains it.

No, I don't think it actually addresses my point, Geoff, which may be my fault for not making it clear enough, so I'll try again.

You wear two hats, one as a fan, the other as a journalist. As a fan, you make it abundantly clear that you don't like him as a man or as a manager (I'm not going to trawl through your posts to find examples, and if you claim differently, I'll take your word for it, but that is certainly the impression you give). I have no issue with that, at all. As a fan, you are as entitled to your opinion as any other. However, as a journalist, you are there to report the news in a fair and balanced way, to report news, not make it. And it's as a journalist that you appear to be allowing your views as a fan to influence what you write. You hint at things 'behind the scenes' but then hide behind journalistic integrity and won't say what they are. That would be more believable if you weren't so vociferous with your opinions as a fan. I wouldn't insult you by comparing you to Stringer - you are in a different league to him, both as a journalist and what I know of you as a man - but there are echoes of Stringergate in how you are balancing your two-hats.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reynard said:

The question though is how does he want us to play? I really don't have a clue. What I saw yesterday was a team ponderous in attack, which spent most of the time passing the ball too slowly and sideways, didn't play on the front foot, was too passive and was panicky in defence. The gap between the forward players and the rest was far too big and the service to our one and only striker virtually non-existent. If this was a one-off then fine but I see this at most home games. Is this what he wants? Suely not, yet this is how we play, most of the time. So either the players can't hack his methods or he isn't able to coach them to play the way he truly wants.

I'm not saying to get rid of Puel but I really don't know what his style truly is.

We've scored 12 goals in 10 home games this season. Many of the games have been far from entertaining.

Obviously our current league position is fine and we could finish top half but to be honest I'd like a bit more entertainment and I certainly don't feel like I'm getting that at most games I attend.

For obvious reasons this season is a mess but what I saw yesterday is not a product of the last few weeks but was the type of performance I've seen regularly enough over the past few months.

I agree with this criticism because i saw the same thing yesterday. Mendy was constantly passing it back

I dont know if Puel wants that or not but I know we've got one or two players who arent as brave with the ball as they should be

Remember we have Adrien Silva who is supposed to help with this who cost over 20 mill and isnt in the team for some reason

If we are still passing like that next season so often I will be questioning the manager. Think we need another transfer window myself.

12 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Oh come on. Pre match everyone was saying 3 defensive midfielders was too negative and not necessary at home to Cardiff. Now we've lost its "should have played 3 defensive midfielders". This hindsight armchair management to bash the manager for making the same decision they would have made (see how many people in the match thread were fine with the starting lineup) is tedious and pathetic

Youll have to take my word for it.  I was shocked by the team selection.

I then sat thru 90 mins of puel ball.... like so many games this season.

Edited by foxinsocks

8 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I think people become extremely frustrated with the fact we get above average results against the top 6 and then as a whole, poor results against the rest. If we were more consistent with our performances and results we quite easily would be pushing for top 6. 

This. Cardiff, Burnley, West Ham and Everton at home have yielded 2 points. 

Realistically a point against West Ham or Everton I don’t have a problem with. So, hypothetically speaking, if we’d drawn with these teams and beaten Burnley (in the circumstances I can forgive that result, obviously) and Cardiff, we’d have 6 extra points. We’d be 6th. It’s infuriating because that’s all the difference is. Dropping stupid points against lower half teams and losing to teams in and around us at home. This is what is holding us back and the manager has to take responsibility for that.

Edited by Devonfox1884
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Realistically a point against West Ham or Everton I don’t have a problem with. So, hypothetically speaking, if we’d drawn with these teams and beaten Burnley (in the circumstances I can forgive that result, obviously) and Cardiff, we’d have 6 extra points. We’d be 6th. It’s infuriating because that’s all the difference is. Dropping stupid points against lower half teams and losing to teams in and around us at home. This is what is holding us back and the manager has to take responsibility for that.

But it's always been like this. Not just for us but for every team in midtable. Hell every team not top of the league. 'If we'd beaten X and Y and if the ref hadn't done that thing against Z we'd be far better off.' You can make this arguement  regardless of who the manager is!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

But it's always been like this. Not just for us but for every team in midtable. Hell every team not top of the league. 'If we'd beaten X and Y and if the ref hadn't done that thing against Z we'd be far better off.' You can make this arguement  regardless of who the manager is!

The point is we’re aspiring to be better than mid-table! Get what you’re saying, but if we want to push on to the next level we can’t have that psychology. 

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Vitriol ??????

Why do I need to give thought about the next manager?

I'm quite happy to keep this manager if he can tweak a few things.

We don't need massive surgery, we just need Puel to change some bits.

If he makes the tweaks, we could be fully together as a team, a club, a fanbase.

I keep asking serious questions about the manager as I have a number of concerns but I don't believe I've demanded he be sacked, either here, on social media or the radio.

But don't let that cloud your agenda or other fools who think the same.

Just ignore it then, Buce.

On a serious note, he's abysmal for the broadcast media but that doesn't cloud my views of him as a manager. I don't think he really "gets" English football. He hasn't connected with the fans really. He struggles to connect with the players and his staff too. Even someone in the Cardiff camp told me today they could see problems. The media/press are there to ask questions. They do it with all clubs. I could be like Duncan Castles, effectively a mouthpiece for Mourinho, and he's considered a laughing stock in the business. Puel doesn't have much support from the press/media - bar one, who is also a Leicester fan - but that's nothing to do with how he is with us. That's because we go digging beneath the surface and there are issues to report. The happy clappy fans don't like hearing about them because it doesn't suit their own agendas. No-one in the press/media is trying to get Puel out. If Leicester are successful then it suits all of us. Puel just doesn't help himself, sadly. I like to hope he'll tweak things but, after 14 months, it doesn't seem likely that he will because he has his way and an unshakeable belief that what he does is right. Maybe he'll get it right with us. And if he does, and the team / club flourishes, then I - as a fan and journalist - will be delighted. Hope that explains it.

Pretty sure Sharpe End has been told to tone it down by his new employers as well ???

4 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

The point is we’re aspiring to be better than mid-table! Get what you’re saying, but if we want to push on to the next level we can’t have that psychology. 

True, we should be challenging for Europe, We're the best of the rest outside the top 6 easily. No other club has the depth to challenge for Europe and I don't really know how we even gave Burnley the chance last season. 

8 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Hmmm maybe. You'd get people going mad at Puel for sitting back at home against Cardiff though

Can you imagine the reactions on here if we sat back against bloody Cardiff so we could hoof it up to Vardy to chase. May as well get Pulis in as manager.

• Like 2

If Claude is to be relieved of his duties, It won't be because of his methods on the training ground and on match days, it will be because of his Napoleon behaviour towards the rest of the LCFC staff and players.

The situation will be resolved one way or another within the next couple of months.

Just now, Ceirboy said:

If Claude is to be relieved of his duties, It won't be because of his methods on the training ground and on match days, it will be because of his Napoleon behaviour towards the rest of the LCFC staff and players.

The situation will be resolved one way or another within the next couple of months.

What I heard ......... (though I expect will be the inevitable outcome ) 

Just now, Devonfox1884 said:

We can aspire as much as we want but pushing on to the next level and staying there is a herculean task that to be honest probably isn't possible unless we invest about a billion pounds on players over the next few seasons.

The 'we're going backwards as a club' arguement is something I just can't get behind as the window for us to improve from where we are now is really small. A lot of posters though give the impression that a simple change of manager or playing with more intensity or directness would see us waltz up the league. (And therefore by default into the CL reckoning!) If it was as simple as that though surely at least one of the half dozen midtable teams not managed by puel and playing that way would have pulled clear by now.

This is really at the core of my support for puel. I can't say he's amazing or would weep tears if he left but any improvements under a new manager would be minor, akin to Everton this season over last. That is assuming we don't get a manager in who would make us worse which given we have much more room to fall than rise is a lot more likely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Devonfox1884 said:

But that's taking into account other team's results remaining the same. I would expect Man United, in normal circumstances, to beat Palace and Wolves at home, Southampton away. Everton have drawn at home to Huddersfield and Newcastle and lost to a then pointless West Ham.

We're all dropping points that usually you'd expect us to take.

I think we need to accept it isn't going to work with Puel and look for the next manager. All of this week-to-week rumour then change isn't doing anyone any good, especially the manager.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

We can aspire as much as we want but pushing on to the next level and staying there is a herculean task that to be honest probably isn't possible unless we invest about a billion pounds on players over the next few seasons.

The 'we're going backwards as a club' arguement is something I just can't get behind as the window for us to improve from where we are now is really small. A lot of posters though give the impression that a simple change of manager or playing with more intensity or directness would see us waltz up the league. (And therefore by default into the CL reckoning!) If it was as simple as that though surely at least one of the half dozen midtable teams not managed by puel and playing that way would have pulled clear by now.

This is really at the core of my support for puel. I can't say he's amazing or would weep tears if he left but any improvements under a new manager would be minor, akin to Everton this season over last. That is assuming we don't get a manager in who would make us worse which given we have much more room to fall than rise is a lot more likely.

I guess it depends on what your definition of “next level” is. Don’t know about you, but for me it is regularly qualifying for the Europa league, meaning finishing 7th most seasons.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to aspire to that, we have a good squad and good owners building the infrastructure around the club. I’m not for a second saying we should be finishing 4th/5th because, as you rightly say, it’ll cost a fortune and is therefore unrealistic for me. 

I’ve said many times before I just don’t know with Puel. Honestly can’t make my mind up. I know many others feel the same. I suppose ultimately if you’re undecided on a manager after a year or more, it means something isn’t working. On the flip side you need to be careful what you wish for and don’t want a new man coming in and taking us backwards.

It’s a tough one.

He'll get until the end of the season, and rightly so- it's only 2 months since we lost Vichai and we're in the top half of the table. 

We need to do some serious business in the January window. We're so short of quality in attacking positions, a good winger (on another level to Gray and Albrighton) and different type of striker are a must.

He needs to sort our approach to games against the lesser sides though, we were abysmal yesterday and a very average side had a comfortable afternoon at our ground- it's not the first time and it's inexcusable. Can't be that passive in those sorts of games.

We lost due to another 25yrd screamer and their keeper playing a blinder that's it, why does everything need to be dissected and Puel blamed, we created and had enough shots on target to win a couple of premiership games it's fine margins. We knew what we were up against when Palace had 31 shots against them but only drew.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Do we really want the Europa league it did Burnley a lot of good

We aren't f**king Burnley we have played in Europe before and have experience, we should have aspirations to play in the Europa League, if Claude fails in that come the end of the season, no complaints if he gets the boot.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ceirboy said:

So what would be the plan then? Get a manager in who is weak enough to bend to the will of existing staff? 

If we want a decent manager at the club it sounds like we need a clear out of the staff aswell. No good manager will be willing to take insubordination.

Puel is the one who takes the stick for how things go. I hate that our club cant keep things in house

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

We aren't f**king Burnley we have played in Europe before and have experience, we should have aspirations to play in the Europa League, if Claude fails in that come the end of the season, no complaints if he gets the boot.

We havent played in anything like the Europa league and most of the top clubs dont bother when they are in it . The times we have played in Europe have all been great experiences not some tin pot eastern european  contry in July