Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Over-trained and underwhelmed: How Leicester players and fans lost faith in Claude Puel

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I dunno, it’s a Prem football club - he’s probably considered a long serving manager / appointment after 14 months odd.

You joke but not far off, he's the 11th longest serving (behind Howe, Potchettino, Dyche, Houghton, Klopp, Guardiola, Warnock, Benitez, Nuno and Hodgson) and only behind two of those by a matter of weeks. Managerial turnover in this league is mad.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

I am not puel out or puel in but something needs to be done an unfortunately we can’t get rid of the whole team and if they are not happy or responding to him then maybe it’s time to move on as this won’t get any better for him. He looked really gutted when the 4th goal went in on Saturday. Not saying it would be right to get rid based on if players want a manager or not but if he can’t get them to play how he wants, won’t change players when team is playing poor then something has to give. I guess we will see a half hearted performance for the rest of the season unless something does change which will prob see us lose most weeks.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

You joke but not far off, he's the 10th longest serving (behind Howe, Potchettino, Dyche, Houghton, Klopp, Guardiola, Warnock, Nuno and Hodgson) and only behind two of those by a matter of weeks. Managerial turnover in this league is mad.

Is it any wonder why we regard the quality of the bottom of the Premier League so poorly when a manager isn’t allowed multiple seasons to establish their long term plan?

Half of those teams have a mixture of players from various previous managers...it’s no wonder the overall quality of the teams are inconsistent and under-whelming.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Is it any wonder why we regard the quality of the bottom of the Premier League so poorly when a manager isn’t allowed multiple seasons to establish their long term plan?

Half of those teams have a mixture of players from various previous managers...it’s no wonder the overall quality of the teams are inconsistent and under-whelming.

It's a fair argument. You look and there's only two managers been there 5 years or longer - Howe and Dyche, who've had longer in charge of their side than the cumulative time of all of the 10 shortest serving managers (270 weeks give or take a few days compared to 326). Hard to argue that Bournemouth are probably the most successful long term project in terms of where he started to now, and stability is a big part of that.

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Md9 said:

I am not puel out or puel in but something needs to be done an unfortunately we can’t get rid of the whole team and if they are not happy or responding to him then maybe it’s time to move on as this won’t get any better for him. He looked really gutted when the 4th goal went in on Saturday. Not saying it would be right to get rid based on if players want a manager or not but if he can’t get them to play how he wants, won’t change players when team is playing poor then something has to give. I guess we will see a half hearted performance for the rest of the season unless something does change which will prob see us lose most weeks.

Go crazy! Sack them all for unprofessional behaviour! Including Puel! And Rudkin! And Whelan for no good reason! Back to league one, get Nige back and start the whole cycle of crap all over again.

vive la revolution :scarf:

Keep Wes :ph34r:

Edited by Dahnsouff

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Go crazy! Sack them all for unprofessional behaviour! Including Puel! And Rudkin! And Whelan for no good reason! Back to league one, get Nige back and start the whole cycle of crap all over again.

vive la revolution :scarf:

Keep Wes :ph34r:

Haha sounds like a good plan to me ?? I enjoyed league one was cheaper and could get a ticket. Wes will be here forever I reckon there will be a clause in his contract saying once he retires he can have the Managers job for life if he wants it ?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Babylon said:

Going on about the title winning season is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle, twice.

How well did this training do in our performances against Huddersfield, Bournemouth x 2 and West Brom under Shakey? Or the entire second season under Ranieri?

My fear is that like the fans, a set of the players are constantly harping on about what happened 3/4 years ago and are trying to recreate something that's impossible to do.

I don't know if the medical regime has changed since the title, this subject matter obviously suggests it has. I suppose each manager will want something slightly different, so changes are probably a regular thing at most clubs.

But I do remember reading a lot about our approach in some of the better books on our big season, and it was focused on not over-training. I think that approach was questioned by CR, and I wonder if he changed it in his ill-fated second season.

Anyway, it is the manager who carries the can, so I think he makes the calls over training style. Equally, the medical staff are going to be giving feedback and opinions all the time, and I cannot imagine they will not speak up if they see evidence of this being a problem.

I have a hunch that the youth of the side is part of the problem. In general, we are a bit lighter than our opposition, and I think we get a little bit bullied at the start (when our adversaries have fresh legs to go with their greater strength), then at the end we do better with our extra running. It's just a theory, obvs.

Another part of the problem might be Puel, but the players do tend to respond at half-time, so I'm not sure.on that. Or it might just be a slightly negative tactical approach gives the opposition gets a chance to dictate, or the lack of consistent pressing that many teams play for the first 15-20mins.

It has got to be a multi- faceted problem really, because if it were just one thing they would have sussed it.

Edited by Vardinio'sCat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sylofox said:

Sure we could work it out to a point. But my money says its not a player. Percy has had info as long or longer than any players been at the club. Other than perhaps king but I'd bet its not king. 

I would also bet its the same person CR claimed knifed him in the back. 

It used to be Mickey Walsh (brother of Steve Walsh director of football). Not sure who it is now though. 

10 hours ago, Bert said:

You would be most disappointed, and surprised. 

Well I know it was previously Mickey Walsh (brother of Steve Walsh DOF , not the player). Assume now it’s Vardy.

Feel quite sorry for Puel. Not seen a journalist go after someone so much in a long time. 

3 hours ago, cc_star said:

"Over-trained" is a misnomer

Percy & his sources never says over-trained, the sub-editor appears to have added it for a headline

Well spotted, hadn't quite grasped that.

Sub-editors are the scum of the earth, their job is to basically get as close to misrepresenting the article as possible, with just enough plausible deniability.

21 hours ago, Analysethis said:

Ive never been a fan of Percy but to me some of the stuff in this article does ring true even though much is obvious.

We have one of the best strikers in the league but Vards is starved of chances. Why we are not building our team and tactics around him I have no idea. Its one of the reasons I love Vardy so much because he just gets on with it where a lesser man would have been all ego and transferred to a club that would give him 4 chances a game.

The fact that we start slow and sluggish, us playing three defensive midfielders at home to Southampton with Silva still on our books, chopping and changing the team (especially the defence). The fact that a lot of the fan base has had enough is evident by reading this forum for starters,

He was one of the best strikers in the league when playing in a system built to support him. He plays so deep it makes it exceedingly difficult to get him service. This has been a problem ever since we won the title, as evidenced not just by this season, but by all the past efforts to replace Shinji. We simply couldn't find anyone else who he could consistently score goals with because his style was so idiosyncratic and unusual for top flight football. Vardy was dominant in the past when we could get away with being a one-dimensional counter-attacking team (i.e. when teams didn't take us seriously in the league until it was too late), but our heightened profile plus the extent to which the league has improved suggests the best teams must be capable of playing several styles, which Vardy does not do well. In all honesty, it isn't just that he is no longer a dominant player -- the unpopular reality is that he shouldn't even be starting every week. He lacks the ability and inclination to come back to the ball and actively participate in the build-up in the 4231, even when facing a deep-playing backline.  What we need is a CF who can come back to the ball and play in the wings and FBs, someone who is strong on the ball and comfortable in the 4231 as an alternate to Vardy, who is better suited to the 433. 

To not even have such a CF option on the squad is the height of folly. Claude has nobody to blame but himself when he gets the sack. I'm as Puel-in as it gets, but FFS he is a stubborn lackwit so often he makes it impossible to defend him. If the team is indeed having extra long practice sessions the day before games, I assume he has tried giving a rest on Fridays -- otherwise, he's just a silly, arrogant anachronism we need to fire post-haste, to be replaced by someone who understands and embraces modern football training methods. 

I will say this about the Percy article: my old manager used to say "you play how you practice," just like thousands of other managers the world over in most every sport. When watching our repeated failures to start matches with effort and enthusiasm, I have often asked myself how lifeless our practices must look like for us to come out so poor so frequently.

Whatever. It's about time for Claude to win some games or gtfo. I figure he will stay until this difficult slate of matches concludes so as to give the new appointment the best chance at a good start.

Edited by vanity
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Ah ok. Thanks. 

Haha, as I say I’m only going on what I’m reading here. I’m over here in Australia, don’t have any contacts at the club and am absolutely not ITK. The last person I had any contact with at the club was Bert Johnson, and I was about 9.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

20 hours ago, Md9 said:

You will find the exact type of post when....Pearson...Ranieri...Shakespeare,were The managers....

Either a strange permanent player-power virus within the club..

or what I believe..

fans relatively jumping on a played ,flayed out dead horse..that they keep bringing up,due to their total lack of imagination,and dire attempts,

to keep some sort of negative crusades,because of personal agendas to prove what great pundits,or failed attempts at journalism ,that crossed has

shadows over their lives.....For knowledgeable fans,we don't half pick on the negatives too easily,allow ourselves to be sucked into any fleeting negative

Ideas,before..even as ST-holders,we are prepared to giving a rebuilding-club,not just team,any type of understanding support over a 1-3 season period.

"I pay my pennies so I am entitled,to whelp and cry out as loud as I like".....a tame excuse from so called wise mature and knowledgeable fans!!!

Not once since the beginning of his tenure have the nego's , let go of shown any support,or understanding of the task needed to be undertaken!!!

Every player,every manager will slip up,and make errors...but no!!  Always OT T analyse,to create another space to help bury,a person who doesn't

Fit into their own concept of recognition of where the club and Players should be....opinions!!! Fk-them!!!  When it brings down the humour ,wit,

and sense of being within this forum...No player,no manager ,no person,outside politics deserves this weekly tirade,of negativity,that we have seen

over the last 2 seasons...It just proves the agendas and actual hate campaigns of those individual can't be taken seriously!!!

Some of it coming from mature adults beggars belief...!!!    Opinions!!! Well this is using my right to express,to counter balance the drivel from this topic!!

Edited by fuchsntf