Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Over-trained and underwhelmed: How Leicester players and fans lost faith in Claude Puel

10 hours ago, Ricey said:

Firstly, he isn’t going to quote inside information that has been given to him.

Secondly, journalists are allowed opinions as well. They don’t have to be neutral.

They are, but is it not an abuse of his position to report those opinions as facts without any justification? I understand he isn't going to quote his source, but as I said above until he justifies what he is saying then all he writes is an unsubstantiated rumour th at suits his agenda and gains him clicks.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

The list of things the next manager needs to do is becoming a bit overwhelming...

• Train the players how the players want him to

• Show passion on the sidelines

• Speak the Queens English perfectly

• Do not, ever mention the fact that expectations are a bit high

• Never rest more than two players in a cup game, despite everyone else doing so.

• Get to more than three quarter finals in two years.

• Play attacking football

• Play entertaining football

• Play winning football against any team below us

• Never sign a bad player

• Play all the players all of the time and don't dare think some of them aren't good enough.

• Play counter attacking football against 11 men sat behind the ball

• Don't play hoof ball

• Don't drop out of the top 10

• Play Vardy every minute of every game until he's 40

;)

Have a poster of Pearson, Shakey and Walsh on his office wall :worship:

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The list of things the next manager needs to do is becoming a bit overwhelming...

• Never rest more than two players in a cup game, despite everyone else doing so.

• Play all the players all of the time and don't dare think some of them aren't good enough.

-Whilst making sure to buy striker and midfielder because ours arent good enough

• Don't play hoof ball

• Have a plan B, but never change the team

• Never change the team after a win, unless we lose the next game... in which case you should have changed the team.

;)

You can add the above to the list aswell

4 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

And just exactly like you I suspect, i haven't got the faintest idea. I admit it but ... if you have any genuine evidence to the contrary and not just basing your claims on mere supposition and rumour,  now is the time that you can enlighten us all with your first hand knowledge and facts.

i have a relative who works  in the stadium . and i don’t mean a cleaner or someone in the ticket office.

He was one of the first people to spend time with the owners on their very first day at the stadium. 

hes actually too close to them to share much info so i don’t often ask, but he has confirmed this.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

• Don't play hoof ball

• Have a plan B, but never change the team

• Never change the team after a win, unless we lose the next game... in which case you should have changed the team.

;)

For me personally, from that list, it’s attacking and entertaining football or rather just not negative football and negative set up and has been so for 12 months plus.

The rest of that list genuinely doesn’t and has not really ever concerned me - areas of it have added a bit of fuel to the fire but I do think that there’s a proportion of fans who want him out for quite prejudicial, bizarre and incomprehensible reasons. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

So what happens when Vardy retires or leaves and we have built a team around an ageing player? Also strikers nowadays need to work to fashion chances too not just be supplied with them, although that is more a comment on your post than Vardy. 

Puel, for all his faults (yes he does seem to have them), is trying to get us away from overreliance on one man and style of football (as did Ranieri in the second season). We were found out somewhat although it's good to also have it in your armoury. 

The term "build a team around a player" sounds like you are just going for one plan but it isnt. It means many things. If you take Man United as an example. Pogba plays out of position in a defensively minded side and looks like dogshite. A new manager comes in and sees he has world beating strikers like Martial and Rashford, one of the better offensive midfielders in the world in Pogba and picks a system to utilise what he has. The result is what we have seen at United over the last month or so. Before that under Mourinho with slower laboured players in they looked pants. With us we have played to a system with players like Ndidi who are largely bypassed as they arent so great with the ball. Puel comes in and tells them we now keep the ball and pass the ball like we have Pierlo and Valderamma in midfield. The reality is the system has changed but the personnel remain.

We are in a real fortunate position to have an unreal striker at the moment and some really good attacking players if we utilise them. I havent the stats to hand but Vardy has a sensational record against the top 6 clubs. The reason for this is they usually attack and when we get space to attack and give him chances he scores. Its not just about Vardy but who is playing around him and the freedom they are given. If Vardy is injured, I would try Gray in that role. We got a glimpse against Wolves what he can do as the main striker as he broke away and scored that great goal which was very Vardyesque. Id personally sell Kelechi and bring in someone who could give Vardy proper competition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a few people are missing a few things from the article.

The players are not complaining because the training is too hard. It is too long and lacks intensity and doesn’t utilise the squad effectively.

Think of it like when you get called into a meeting and it lasts forever there is only one bit that is relevant to you but the rest isn’t you spend hours in the meeting waiting for it to finish so you can get on with your job.

Secondly Percy is trying to answer the question, “Why is Puel favourite for the sack when his team are 7th?”

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

For me personally, from that list, it’s attacking and entertaining football or rather just not negative football and negative set up and has been so for 12 months plus.

I don't even think we're negative (Saints aside). It's just that he either hasn't been able to implement the style he wants because he's not capable of it or the players aren't good enough to implement it. I look at teams who come to us and I can't say we're negative compared to them, it's no shock our more entertaining games are ones where the oppo comes to play, rather than stick 11 behind the ball. He's overly cautious in certain aspects, but I can't say negative.

We'd probably have more points if we played like Cardiff and Saints and just defended for our lives all game trying to nick one. Because we'd have probably drawn games which we've lost by trying to take the game to people and play football.

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s unprofessional....

Would it have happened under Pearson ???

and the players are being paid far more now ...... they have to make sacrifices.....

... no, it wouldn't have happened under Pearson. He would have received the stats from the Strength and Conditioning Team and would have made the correlation between the slow starts on match day with the Friday training. 

I recall the players stating that the level of training that they were receiving was not at the level they required, in respect of quality and intensity, which was detrimental to the team's performance. This was in the second season of Ranieri's term. 

To harp back to 2015/16, Spurs were still beastng their players all season, it caught up with them and training with such intensity does not make you better, because you train more than everyone else.. 

If you are under pressure at work doing the work of two men, and you ask for a raise and the company gives to the extra money you have asked for, you will feel good for a while but very soon you realise that the money doesn't alleviate the pressure you are under, it's the fact that doing both jobs is not sustainable. Money can not make situations like that in any way better. A change to the job spec (the conditions you work in) is more realistic and will bring a better result. 

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 1

I'm still no clearer of what his supposed style he wants to implement that's often quoted.

From what I can suss....

There has been ample opportunity to either buy a creative midfielder if what existed isn't part of that vision so I can only assume 2-3 defensive midfielders is seen as the way forward.

Clear to us all that Iheanacho can't cut it, again time to buy players so assume a single striker is seen as the way.

As no creativity in midfield the use of the wings is used more as a way of attack, possibly the only way. (IMO this is working)

A very one sided article again by Percy. As others have said, it would be nice to see him include some of the positives that Puel has brought.

I certainly won't dismiss everything he is saying though and I do think there are some issues going on behind the scenes and he is making mistakes.

I also think our players are too quick to turn on a Manager and do think we will benefit from the older generation/dead wood being finally cleared out this summer. 

There is so much negativity surrounding Puel and it is only building, and I imagine it will come to the point where he simply can't continue beyond this Summer, no matter how we finish the season. That would be wrong a real shame, especially if he begins correcting some of the errors he has made so far.

I am critical of him, but he certainly doesn't deserve this much negativity right now. Part of me hopes he can finish the season strongly just so Percy and co. have to write a positive article about him! It may not even help to be honest at this point, but I for one, will certainly give him another 6-12 months if he corrects some things over the next 15 games and gives me more hope for the future! 

• Like 3

How about these privileged, over rated, over payed players stop whining, do as they are asked to do, as every manager is different, and wether they are underwhelmed, embrace it, stop moaning and draw your £££££££££££££ every month, whilst we work our bollocks off to afford to come and watch them.

I am underwhelmed, and bored, but I still turn up, can they all say that, no sympathy for puel, except I don’t think his players are embracing his ideas ?, and discretely speaking to the press when your manager is under pressure, proves the ? are still at the club.

I’m bored of puel and the players, and if the powers that be had anything about them, they would have a clear out in the summer, they must know which ones have whinged their way through 3 managers.

Rant over.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I'm still no clearer of what his supposed style he wants to implement that's often quoted.

From what I can suss....

There has been ample opportunity to either buy a creative midfielder if what existed isn't part of that vision so I can only assume 2-3 defensive midfielders is seen as the way forward.

Clear to us all that Iheanacho can't cut it, again time to buy players so assume a single striker is seen as the way.

As no creativity in midfield the use of the wings is used more as a way of attack, possibly the only way. (IMO this is working)

I think a fast paced passing style, but with Simpson, Morgan, nididi, to name a few, you are going to struggle with that, as to many of our side struggle technically, and cannot make a simple pass under pressure.

He repeatedly keeps saying he wants more intensity in the passing in games, but these players aren’t good enough, but I’m not defending puel as he has better players but chooses not to use them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

A very one sided article again by Percy. As others have said, it would be nice to see him include some of the positives that Puel has brought.

I certainly won't dismiss everything he is saying though and I do think there are some issues going on behind the scenes and he is making mistakes.

I also think our players are too quick to turn on a Manager and do think we will benefit from the older generation/dead wood being finally cleared out this summer. 

There is so much negativity surrounding Puel and it is only building, and I imagine it will come to the point where he simply can't continue beyond this Summer, no matter how we finish the season. That would be wrong a real shame, especially if he begins correcting some of the errors he has made so far.

I am critical of him, but he certainly doesn't deserve this much negativity right now. Part of me hopes he can finish the season strongly just so Percy and co. have to write a positive article about him! It may not even help to be honest at this point, but I for one, will certainly give him another 6-12 months if he corrects some things over the next 15 games and gives me more hope for the future! 

It's literally an article about what's going wrong behind the scenes. That's the topic - whether you believe it or not is up to you. Newspaper articles invariably focus on one angle - they're not school essays in which you're compelled to present the other point of view for balance.

• Like 3

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

It's literally an article about what's going wrong behind the scenes. That's the topic - whether you believe it or not is up to you. Newspaper articles invariably focus on one angle - they're not school essays in which you're compelled to present the other point of view for balance.

As a journalist, you should try to remain impartial at all times. That is often demonstrated to the reader by presenting both sides. Something that Percy hasn't done in this article or any other for a long-time. He should try to present both sides whenever possible. I see this article as a chance to do that and comment on some of the positives Puel has bought as well as the issues he is experiencing. Yes the title and article has a point it wants to report, but some balance is always good and required IMO. 

• Like 2

Puel does have to be given credit for our league position and playing younger players from the academy. 

However, Puel is at fault for many more aspects to his managerial style here. His style of play does not make sense, I get you want to play passing football but then why remove and exclude Silva and Iborra for 2 holding midfielders who can control the ball further than I can kick it. Cups are unforgivable again. As Southampton fans have said the play is very boring and dull. We have so much more capabilities to the team yet most players have regressed in their careers here. 

Tough decision regarding a new manager as we will not get a higher league position. But we should be playing with a better style and far more entertaining to watch. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

Would love to know who Percy has on the inside at Leicester City.

Sure we could work it out to a point. But my money says its not a player. Percy has had info as long or longer than any players been at the club. Other than perhaps king but I'd bet its not king. 

I would also bet its the same person CR claimed knifed him in the back. 

53 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Sure we could work it out to a point. But my money says its not a player. Percy has had info as long or longer than any players been at the club. Other than perhaps king but I'd bet its not king. 

I would also bet its the same person CR claimed knifed him in the back. 

Mike Stowell? Has Percy ever had any past covering Wolves in the 90's? Perhaps they go way back. 

3 hours ago, MPH said:

i have a relative who works  in the stadium . and i don’t mean a cleaner or someone in the ticket office.

He was one of the first people to spend time with the owners on their very first day at the stadium. 

hes actually too close to them to share much info so i don’t often ask, but he has confirmed this.

That's really interesting then so clearly I'm not going to delve any further as potentially someone's livelihood is at stake. I was listening to Glen Johnson being interviewed on Talksport today as he is retiring. He was asked about Mourinhio who he spoke about in very glowing terms. He did comment however that if you were not in the first team then life is very different and some players on the fringes could be very indifferent towards him (being diplomatic). Given the problems Puel inherited and the hatchet job he's clearly been asked to do, I just wonder whether with the amount of senior players we have on the sidelines, some being internationals, whether some of the problems lie there?

• Like 1