Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Over-trained and underwhelmed: How Leicester players and fans lost faith in Claude Puel

7 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Alleged extra training.

That word pops up a couple of times, along with, "it is said".

Ok... I was actually responding to a comment that was ridiculing players for having to do extra training, so I'm not the source of any assumptions :thumbup:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Going on about the title winning season is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle, twice.

How well did this training do in our performances against Huddersfield, Bournemouth x 2 and West Brom under Shakey? Or the entire second season under Ranieri?

My fear is that like the fans, a set of the players are constantly harping on about what happened 3/4 years ago and are trying to recreate something that's impossible to do.

I'm not saying its going to make us win the title again but clearly the performances from all players were a lot more intense than they are now and thats because they were well rested/fit enough to be able to maintain that level of intensity and concentration for 90 mins. Clearly the training worked back then and its something thats relatively simple to recreate - even if it leaves the players feeling better for games its something. Rest is a key part of training wether people like to admit it or not, wage packets aside (not aimed at you but people on this forum seem to think higher wages = immune to basic human anatomy) a high level athelete needs a good amount of rest to ensure their body is in top condition. If the manager isn't allowing the players to get sufficient rest before games then its negligence, no matter if his name is Puel or Guardiola. 

It was said that Ranieri changed it all up in his second season and he took a more 'old school' approach to training and I don't think its really ever gone back. Shakey, god knows what happened there he really just wasnt cut out for management at all.

10 hours ago, IsItMuzzy said:

I know he's usually a good source for information about the club but Percy's agenda against Puel is so clear it seems forced. Lots of comments that aren't backed up by any quotes or evidence.

This. I have lost all respect for Percy. He's useful to read re: transfers, but he is clearly a muck raker with an agenda. 

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Why would he though? Not saying that in you're wrong (because you aren't at all) but what's it to him?

Makes you wonder if this is the players telling him. In-fact it makes total sense that it is.

That might well be the case, but it's the same that was being said of Ranieri when he tried to change things as well (Ranieri saw we couldn't play the same way without Kante, Puel is doing the same following the loss of Mahrez). If we've got disgruntled players going to the press to undermine the manager when he tries to progress us, while they'd prefer to wait for lightning to strike twice, it's all the more reason to back the manager and tell those players to find a new club, because if it's true it'll keep happening whenever we try to move on from 15/16, and if we don't move on, we'll be back in the championship soon enough

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Jeez, the way some people are reacting to this article - it's as if John Percy came around to their houses and had a dump on their copy of Fossils and Foxes. Stop crying, lads - it's not dignified.

It's not personal, or part of a conspiracy against us. It's a fairly standard newspaper report into potential dressing room unrest, which is hardly surprising given the way things have been going recently. John Percy has a strong record of breaking LCFC-related stories that turn out to be true. He clearly has some contacts at the club who pass on information to him. That does not of course prove that this particular article is true, but it's a bit silly to dismiss it out of hand - and have an emotional breakdown in the process - just because you don't like what it says.

People don't have to like what amounts to gossip articles about their favourite football club, you know. Percy was wrong last time about dressing room unrest when Maguire and Chilwell came out and rubbished it, why do we believe him this time? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hate to say it but it seems pretty plausible that Morgan is the one pulling the strings and causing a lot of the disharmony between (some of the) squad and manager.

One of the longest serving players at the club, seemingly undroppable even after red cards, poor form etc., and ran straight past Puel when celebrating at the weekend. Also, as an older player he's clearly going to have more of an issue with training the day before a game than the younger crowd (who, notably, all seem to have came out in support of Puel at one point or another).

The sooner we move on from the title-winning cohort the better, imo. Unfortunately for Puel that won't happen until the summer, and I fear it'll be too late for him.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

It’s unprofessional....

Would it have happened under Pearson ???

and the players are being paid far more now ...... they have to make sacrifices.....

O Neil had a rep for standing outside hotels come curfew time like an irate parent ready to administer bollockings to any late comers!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beechey said:

People don't have to like what amounts to gossip articles about their favourite football club, you know. Percy was wrong last time about dressing room unrest when Maguire and Chilwell came out and rubbished it, why do we believe him this time? 

He wasn't wrong ?

Those two arent going to cone out and say its true nor are they going to say nothing.

It's like the plane story and Bournemouth, Maguire rubbished it but several of the players complained to the assistant manager.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think if there are players that are unhappy with the manager they should come out openly and if any are happy with the manager they should come out in support.

All these rumours are negativity affecting the club, possibly the results but definitely the fans.

The club need to take action now and sort out the issues at the club. 

• Haha 1

I often wonder whether if all football fans are as strange and fickle as Leicester fans are. I'd say based on this forum alone, majority of fans have had enough of Puel or at the very least reaching the end of their faith in him. A journalist, who most appear to take his transfer rumours as gospel, writes an article giving an incite into what could be causing the issues we are seeing on the pitch and he's slated! 

There's no smoke without fire, so they say.

The players are not innocent in all of this either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

He wasn't wrong ?

Those two arent going to cone out and say its true nor are they going to say nothing.

It's like the plane story and Bournemouth, Maguire rubbished it but several of the players complained to the assistant manager.

So you believe the unsubstantiated articles but not what the players themselves say? Seriously. 

• Like 1

Just now, Beechey said:

So you believe the unsubstantiated articles but not what the players themselves say? Seriously. 

Players when asked for the most part are natually going to defend the manager no matter how unhappy with them they are.

With modern contracts there is a lot of money in appearance bonuses and clean sheet bonuses etc - players won't risk that by pissing the manager off needlessly and getting dropped.

Also there is an element of professionalism you have to at least appear that you are on the same page and any complaints should be handled in house behind closed doors. Obviously this isn't always the case and some players will leak this information to trusted journos etc to try and swing the disagreements in their favour without it getting pinned on themselves specifically.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

He wasn't wrong ?

Plane story?

1 minute ago, Dames said:

Players when asked for the most part are natually going to defend the manager no matter how unhappy with them they are.

With modern contracts there is a lot of money in appearance bonuses and clean sheet bonuses etc - players won't risk that by pissing the manager off needlessly and getting dropped.

Also there is an element of professionalism you have to at least appear that you are on the same page and any complaints should be handled in house behind closed doors. Obviously this isn't always the case and some players will leak this information to trusted journos etc to try and swing the disagreements in their favour without it getting pinned on themselves specifically.

How are our players making me start to respect Pogba in comparison for his honesty?  Thats f***ed up

4 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

Plane story?

The players or a portion of the players were allegedly unhappy that they had to travel to Bournemouth by coach, rather than flying down there (Bournemouth has a sweet little airport - been there myself):

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/harry-maguire-denies-report-leicester-2019089

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

How are our players making me start to respect Pogba in comparison for his honesty?  Thats f***ed up

The Pogba situation was slightly different i'd say. If Mourinho wasn't so public in his slating of his players I don't think Pogba would have been so public either. That was just one massive game of tit for tat.

I do feel for Puel in that he will always be fighting a losing battle in terms of player power especially with the 'old guard'. But at the same time a good manager knows when and when not to make concessions to keep the collective happy overall. This is one such case where it appears on the surface that he is too rigid in his methods, systems and beliefs. If you have players telling you that they are struggling with the training before games and its affecting their performance you listen to them and if needed either alter the training for the squad or at least put the players that are struggling on personalised plans before games. Puel appears not to do this and stubbornly sticks to what he thinks is best even if there is evidence to disprove it.

1 minute ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think if there are players that are unhappy with the manager they should come out openly and if any are happy with the manager they should come out in support.

All these rumours are negativity affecting the club, possibly the results but definitely the fans.

The club need to take action now and sort out the issues at the club. 

It's a fine line. Our owners have been wonderful to both the players, the fans, and the Leicester community. Here comes the big BUT...

BUT at times they have spoiled the players rotten. Occasionally I think is fine as reward, but sadly over time they've gone too far, and whilst a family atmosphere is great and the relationships close, should certain players not like or want something, they have too much say in matters, which will EVERY SINGLE TIME undermine a manager, it's self-evident with the carry-on, on the pitch and off it. For me that's unacceptable.

Our owners are not stupid, and Puel will no doubt have been asked to try reign in and manage this, and try to refresh the squad over time to slowly eradicate this culture that has sadly embedded itself. Now Top has to shoulder all of this, and make the right decisions however difficult they may be, and for me drawing a degree more distance between players and owners isn't a bad thing for the future.

Just now, Dames said:

The Pogba situation was slightly different i'd say. If Mourinho wasn't so public in his slating of his players I don't think Pogba would have been so public either. That was just one massive game of tit for tat.

I do feel for Puel in that he will always be fighting a losing battle in terms of player power especially with the 'old guard'. But at the same time a good manager knows when and when not to make concessions to keep the collective happy overall. This is one such case where it appears on the surface that he is too rigid in his methods, systems and beliefs. If you have players telling you that they are struggling with the training before games and its affecting their performance you listen to them and if needed either alter the training for the squad or at least put the players that are struggling on personalised plans before games. Puel appears not to do this and stubbornly sticks to what he thinks is best even if there is evidence to disprove it.

Im not sure about all this training issue.   I have read various reports on it and the details are different so we cant be sure of the exact issue

Puel must get credit for not stooping to the level of slating his players as he is getting flack from people inside his camp through leaks to the press. The players possibly sanction this to a degree.  Mrs Vardy liking post that criticise Puel, little things like this and the very negative stories about him show the camp are not above blaming things on him to the outsiders

Puel still doesnt slate the players and fair play to him for that, because some of them have woefully let him down in games recently

• Like 1

Might as well just sack him already. I don't particularly want him gone but realistically is he going be staying past the end of the season? Can't be arsed with four more months of these poisonous shite articles, players not waking up until the game's already out of our reach, continuously making horrific mistakes whilst going out on the piss in London a couple of days before a game then whining to their favourite journalist, moron fans booing substitutes when they come on.

At this point too many people in too many important positions have obviously decided they're not having him. Just sack him and give them what they want. Use the new manager bounce to restore a bit of positivity between now and the end of the season, or at least until the players decide they can't be arsed with him and we decide we don't like his accent.

• Like 3