Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Over-trained and underwhelmed: How Leicester players and fans lost faith in Claude Puel

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Percy's articles about us have had a bit of a stink about them for about 6-8 months, people have noticed. Yes there are negative things to talk about, so clearly they will be negative stuff written. But as I mentioned in the summer and several times since his articles have seemed a little off, with some strange angles and ultra negative slants.

Maybe that's the truth of the situation though?

Maybe I just don't mind as it balances out the Puel love-ins that are the Mercury articles.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Dames said:

Players when asked for the most part are natually going to defend the manager no matter how unhappy with them they are.

With modern contracts there is a lot of money in appearance bonuses and clean sheet bonuses etc - players won't risk that by pissing the manager off needlessly and getting dropped.

Also there is an element of professionalism you have to at least appear that you are on the same page and any complaints should be handled in house behind closed doors. Obviously this isn't always the case and some players will leak this information to trusted journos etc to try and swing the disagreements in their favour without it getting pinned on themselves specifically.

At the same time you must surely understand that Percy's job is not to represent a true reflection of LCFC, its to get as many clicks onto the Telegraph website as he possibly can. Happy "everything is okay" articles don't do that. 

• Like 1

What strikes me in this is a seeming  lack of leadership from above. Obviously Top will have been and is dealing with the awful events of the autumn. But in the light of the increasingly public exposure of unrest and issues (whether real or imagined), I would expect someone in a position of power to intervene and seek to resolve it. 

If members of my team in work are not performing well or are unhappy and I think or detect they have issues with my undermanager (for want of a better term) and vice versa, I would sort it out by looking at both sides and addressing it properly. Surely Whelan or Rudkin can see there appear to be some issues. 

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

At the same time you must surely understand that Percy's job is not to represent a true reflection of LCFC, its to get as many clicks onto the Telegraph website as he possibly can. Happy "everything is okay" articles don't do that. 

True but on the flip side if he wrote a everything is okay article the Puel inners would take it as a holy grail and use it in every defence possible.

Percy has probably picked up on a few complaints that have been around for months now and ran with them at a time when morale is at its lowest and people are most angry with the manager. I don't despute what the article is saying exactly but its the timing that is suspect because these complaints have been around for a while now.

7 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Unless they do targeted work on how to concede early goals at these Friday training sessions I'm struggling to see the link between them and starting games slowly.

You must be a troll?

If you're doing long and slow sessions before a game its going to have an impact in that the players aren't going to have sufficient time to rest and recover before the game. Thats why they are starting slow because they are not well rested enough and it takes them longer to get up to speed.

Most other clubs the day before a game focus on light sessions and recovery. Its something LCFC used to be renowned for as well. You cant over train players and then expect them to be at full fitness for the match.

7 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

What strikes me in this is a seeming  lack of leadership from above. Obviously Top will have been and is dealing with the awful events of the autumn. But in the light of the increasingly public exposure of unrest and issues (whether real or imagined), I would expect someone in a position of power to intervene and seek to resolve it. 

If members of my team in work are not performing well or are unhappy and I think or detect they have issues with my undermanager (for want of a better term) and vice versa, I would sort it out by looking at both sides and addressing it properly. Surely Whelan or Rudkin can see there appear to be some issues. 

To be fair, and I've held this opinion most of the season, there's really no rush to sack him even if they are dissatisfied. 

Unless an amazing opportunity to hire someone brilliant briefly presents itself, realistically your best bet of replacing him is in the summer, if they choose to. 

They'll only pull the trigger before then if his relationship with either the players or the fans becomes so toxic so as to cause lasting damage. Wolves was my first away game since Arsenal so I don't know if I've missed something but the concourse at Molineaux was the first time I've heard large scale chants calling for his head. 

I mean, he's going to finish 10th to 8th somewhere isn't he? It'll do for now, even if you want us to keep progressing. 

Edited by Finnegan

I thought the article was stating the obvious.

I'm not sure how other teams communicate the side picked but I'm reliably informed that Leicester text ' You are playing'  or 'Not playing' assume its been dealt with differently previously or/and at other clubs as doesn't go down that well. (not my snowflake opinion just mentioning)

3 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I'm not sure how other teams communicate the side picked but I'm reliably informed that Leicester text ' You are playing'  or 'Not playing' assume its been dealt with differently previously or/and at other clubs as doesn't go down that well. (not my snowflake opinion just mentioning)

lol Is that really true?

1 minute ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

I thought the article was stating the obvious.

Really?? I’m always under the impression that managers take players aside in training and let them know if there are any shocks to the team sheet prior. but otherwise would make the decision on Thursday and train on Friday with the team as it will be played on Saturday. 

Texting that seems like texting the missus to tell her you’ve changed your mind!!! 

10 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

To be fair, and I've held this opinion most of the season, there's really no rush to sack him even if they are dissatisfied. 

Unless an amazing opportunity to hire someone brilliant briefly presents itself, realistically your best bet of replacing him is in the summer, if they choose to. 

They'll only pull the trigger before then if his relationship with either the players or the fans becomes so toxic so as to cause lasting damage. 

I mean, he's going to finish 10th to 8th somewhere isn't he? It'll do for now, even if you want us to keep progressing. 

I don't mean sack him, although that is an option, but seek to resolve the issues.

We mostly all agree whether inners or outers that Puel is doing a necessary job in overseeing a transition in style and personnel with younger players coming through.

The outers point to a lack of excitement and connection and I think many on both sides would prefer some more consistency in selection and, consequently, tactics. 

The job from above should be to support Puel to do what is needed for the transition but explore and resolve the other issues with him to prevent those hampering what he is tasked with doing by becoming toxic as you say. Clearly there are two sides to what we are seeing and that is why strong leadership is needed from above. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Maybe that's the truth of the situation though?

Maybe I just don't mind as it balances out the Puel love-ins that are the Mercury articles.

I've just thought about one of the articles that annoyed me, him making a big song and dance about King "Demanding" a move away... despite the fact we'd clearly wanted rid for some time. There were others like that with the negative spin.

We all know how easily it is for footballers to get bored and that can lead to losing focus. Training sessions need to be different and uplifting and not always doing the same repetitive things day in day out.

there needs to be different types of training sessions working on the different aspects of football like tactics, fitness, diet, knowing the opposition(not to the extent of Bielsa) etc. you also need to activate the players mind and also have 'downtime for mind and body'. it shouldn't just be about heavy duty training sessions.

11 hours ago, IsItMuzzy said:

I know he's usually a good source for information about the club but Percy's agenda against Puel is so clear it seems forced. Lots of comments that aren't backed up by any quotes or evidence.

That’s because any quotes or evidence are given to him in good faith. 

45 minutes ago, Guest said:

Might as well just sack him already. I don't particularly want him gone but realistically is he going be staying past the end of the season? Can't be arsed with four more months of these poisonous shite articles, players not waking up until the game's already out of our reach, continuously making horrific mistakes whilst going out on the piss in London a couple of days before a game then whining to their favourite journalist, moron fans booing substitutes when they come on.

At this point too many people in too many important positions have obviously decided they're not having him. Just sack him and give them what they want. Use the new manager bounce to restore a bit of positivity between now and the end of the season, or at least until the players decide they can't be arsed with him and we decide we don't like his accent.

I quite like Claude’s accent but your probably right about all the other stuff.

• Haha 1

I'd like for once, when Puel does leave that he has another interview (he's had alot lately) but in this one he explains in detail all the problems he's having with the players, and who is deceiving him (if they are). I know Ranieri said someone from above him caused issues but it's three managers now have gone the same way with all these rumours about player power. If thats true, surely its Morgan, Simpson, Kasper, King, Vardy as they are the ones that remain throughout the era.

15 minutes ago, Bert said:

You would be most disappointed, and surprised. 

I think we could all guess on that one, articles about King and Vardy aplenty. I think Stowell is a big dirty grass as well seeing as Geoff seems to know a lot about keepers at our place.

Edited by Babylon
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I'd like for once, when Puel does leave that he has another interview (he's had alot lately) but in this one he explains in detail all the problems he's having with the players, and who is deceiving him (if they are). I know Ranieri said someone from above him caused issues but it's three managers now have gone the same way with all these rumours about player power. If thats true, surely its Morgan, Simpson, Kasper, King, Vardy as they are the ones that remain throughout the era.

I also suspect some unholy alliance between players and backroom staff with some notion that they won the league so know best