Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cambridgefox

6 Nations 2019

8 hours ago, Nalis said:

Well done England, very much deserved win as always, most deserved wins are up front. We just didnt turn up at all but English were superb. Despite our mistakes, the difference in the quality of between Ireland v England game against the Wales v France game was poles apart, almost like watching a different sport.

For us, the focus is on the World Cup and the only grace is the fact we know we wont face England and New Zealand until the final, if we dont give it away before then.

The one thing I will say in defence of France and Wales is that the difference in conditions between Paris and Dublin was poles apart. 

Handling errors caused the majority of problems for both sides in Paris, it was about as wet as a game can actually be. 

Really enjoyed that opening weekend, would love to go to a six nations game one day, to anybody thats been before, which game usually generates the best atmosphere and at which stadium?

Bit of a rookie when it comes to the rules so still wondering about England's last try last night, was it not lost forward before he finally grabbed it and and scored? Im sure in the past when I have seen players knock it on then its been called back? 

Edited by EastAnglianFox

27 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Really enjoyed that opening weekend, would love to go to a six nations game one day, to anybody thats been before, which game usually generates the best atmosphere and at which stadium?

Bit of a rookie when it comes to the rules so still wondering about England's last try last night, was it not lost forward before he finally grabbed it and and scored? Im sure in the past when I have seen players knock it on then its been called back? 

Absolutely loved rugby away days ...  travelled the world watching England and the Lions ..  favourite place New Zealand, lovely country and lovely people ..  best time ..   beating Australia to win the World Cup ..  got a great picture on the wall of Wilko’s last minute pen sailing over from roughly where I was standing and signed by several of the players.   Six nations ..  Paris wasn’t bad, Dublin was brilliant and Rome was the best ...   we used to use travel companies like Gullivers to sort it all out ...     :thumbup:

• Like 1

Congrats England ....The better team from start to finish. As in any sport when two top teams meet marginal calls  are crucial and I think England got the rub of most of these yesterday. Itoje’s challenge on an airborne Keith Earles warranted a far harsher penalty than just a penalty kick. It was reckless and dangerous and some refs may have shown a red card.

The crucial 3rd try should not have been given....clearly a forward pass in the build up and the refs decision not to look at it despite the suggestion by the TMO was baffling. The offside call was very marginal as well . 

The 2nd and 4th try’s were result of uncharacteristic errors by a couple of Ireland’s star players admittedly caused by England’s excellent pressure.......

Hope this doesn’t come across as sour grapes ....As I said at the outset the better more cohesive and aggressive team won .

Think it’s going to be a very tight championship this year with 5 teams capable of beating each other 

2 hours ago, irishfoxkev said:

Congrats England ....The better team from start to finish. As in any sport when two top teams meet marginal calls  are crucial and I think England got the rub of most of these yesterday. Itoje’s challenge on an airborne Keith Earles warranted a far harsher penalty than just a penalty kick. It was reckless and dangerous and some refs may have shown a red card.

The crucial 3rd try should not have been given....clearly a forward pass in the build up and the refs decision not to look at it despite the suggestion by the TMO was baffling. The offside call was very marginal as well . 

The 2nd and 4th try’s were result of uncharacteristic errors by a couple of Ireland’s star players admittedly caused by England’s excellent pressure.......

Hope this doesn’t come across as SOUR GRAPES ....As I said at the outset the better more cohesive and aggressive team won .

Think it’s going to be a very tight championship this year with 5 teams capable of beating each other 

Course not Kev .. :)

FC7123C2-7728-4A34-A532-E0BDC0ECEBCA.jpeg

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

which game usually generates the best atmosphere and at which stadium?

First question, I'll be called bias on here by a bunch of football fans who've never been but if you actually go on a tidy rugby forum or on r/rugbyunion or something you'll get the same answer - the Millennium Stadium is by far the best rugby stadium in the northern hemisphere and probably the world. Even pundits, players, former players, etc will tell you its an incredible place to play. Especially with the roof closed. I don't really even know many English rugby fans who disagree, even if they hate the Welsh (most do.)

Its a really closed in stadium with great acoustics and it generates immense noise. 

Plus its right bang in the centre of Cardiff with hundreds of pubs and bars in a literal stones throw, the whole city goes absolutely nuts on a match day, it's like being at a festival and there's generally great craic with away fans. You'll get banter for being English but not abuse or trouble. 

There's loads of English and English students living in the city these days and everyone gets along fine. I've got mates form Leicester who moved to Cardiff and they go out in the city to watch England on the telly in pubs in England shirts and they love it. 

Last time I was there was Scotland in the autumn and we were singing in the pubs after doing alternate Scotch then Welsh songs with a bagpiper stood in the middle of Spoons. Just nuts.

Wales England is also probably the biggest and most passionate of the rivalries in the six nations (which basically boils down to England vs Other Teams haha.)

Your problem is getting tickets, it's nigh impossible without spending mad wedge of being a club member. 

Regards the last English try, I don't think he knocked it on. I thought he took it ****ing brilliantly to be honest. It would have been a scrum to Ireland if he spilled it but I think it was clean. 

There were a couple of questionable calls though. Irelands second try was probably actually held up on reflection and shouldn't have stood and the England try that came from a Johnny May kick, the scorer was actually probably slightly ahead of May and so that shouldn't have stood. 

But rugby is full of these marginal calls and they go both ways all the time even with the TMO. Sometimes it's just so hard to get the right angle. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Thanks 1

On 03/02/2019 at 15:01, irishfoxkev said:

Hope this doesn’t come across as sour grapes ....As I said at the outset the better more cohesive and aggressive team won .

Treading-water and sour-grapes to the thousands of liters...:P

Looking for excuses...notice England when they lose don't go scurrying for excuses!!!

This was one of the best nations games for a few seasons,the Irish were good enough to win,and I wouldn't of complained....

that said,England's disciplined high defence,and Pressure,with some decent running skills won the day.

In the Irish successes in the past,teams couldn't pressure the Irish line with  coordination and long  enough....This game England could!!

like both the Irish and England both have done against the All-blacks.

The result went against the Irish this time,but like England in the past,you weren't poor or full of damning errors, you was simply beaten on the day,by

a team who were slightly better....Like all sports today,fans and pundits go far OTT  when analysing games,then disect errors,to the crust,which then puts

On false dynamics...This was just a great game....the winner extactic,the loser looks for explanations...I

I see the Irish winning the rest of their games,with the Scots again on a false dawn,but on the day good enough to upset England ....

On 03/02/2019 at 16:49, Finnegan said:

First question, I'll be called bias on here by a bunch of football fans who've never been but if you actually go on a tidy rugby forum or on r/rugbyunion or something you'll get the same answer - the Millennium Stadium is by far the best rugby stadium in the northern hemisphere and probably the world. Even pundits, players, former players, etc will tell you its an incredible place to play. Especially with the roof closed. I don't really even know many English rugby fans who disagree, even if they hate the Welsh (most do.)

Its a really closed in stadium with great acoustics and it generates immense noise. 

Plus its right bang in the centre of Cardiff with hundreds of pubs and bars in a literal stones throw, the whole city goes absolutely nuts on a match day, it's like being at a festival and there's generally great craic with away fans. You'll get banter for being English but not abuse or trouble. 

There's loads of English and English students living in the city these days and everyone gets along fine. I've got mates form Leicester who moved to Cardiff and they go out in the city to watch England on the telly in pubs in England shirts and they love it. 

Last time I was there was Scotland in the autumn and we were singing in the pubs after doing alternate Scotch then Welsh songs with a bagpiper stood in the middle of Spoons. Just nuts.

Wales England is also probably the biggest and most passionate of the rivalries in the six nations (which basically boils down to England vs Other Teams haha.)

Your problem is getting tickets, it's nigh impossible without spending mad wedge of being a club member. 

Regards the last English try, I don't think he knocked it on. I thought he took it ****ing brilliantly to be honest. It would have been a scrum to Ireland if he spilled it but I think it was clean. 

There were a couple of questionable calls though. Irelands second try was probably actually held up on reflection and shouldn't have stood and the England try that came from a Johnny May kick, the scorer was actually probably slightly ahead of May and so that shouldn't have stood. 

But rugby is full of these marginal calls and they go both ways all the time even with the TMO. Sometimes it's just so hard to get the right angle. 

Tbh Finners I didn't mention it cus I haven't been there ...    we had such a good time at the others that we just always chose them ...   the craic was something else.   The only one that I personally didn't like was going to Jockland (funnily enough with me being half haggis) ...    aggressive bunch of fookers and sh1te beer.   Stadium wise I'm sure the Millenium stadium is super impressive and maybe I'll give it a go ...   after all, we always love the footy aways at Cardiff and Swansea ..   :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 16:49, Finnegan said:

I have been to watch a sport other than football and rugby; the atmosphere was unreal and it's incredibly well located. 

• Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 11:08, EastAnglianFox said:

Tickets are very, very difficult to get. In the past six weeks, I have only just met people who get to regularly go to Six Nations games. Italy is easy and Paris/Edinburgh dependent on form/opposition (apparently Friday nights game was around 80% full). 

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Tickets are very, very difficult to get. In the past six weeks, I have only just met people who get to regularly go to Six Nations games. Italy is easy and Paris/Edinburgh dependent on form/opposition (apparently Friday nights game was around 80% full). 

Very true, the father of one of our friends pays five grand a year for a debenture at Twickenham. Thats just the guarantee for a seat, not even the tickets themselves. Five grand! lol

Twickenham is a class stadium albeit with watered down Guinness and a nightmare to get back into London but yeah as @Finnegan said, the Millenium Stadium has always looked amazing, would love to watch a competitive rugby match there with the roof closed.

20 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ooo errr Taff ...    :)

Garland has a lot to answer for really. 

Absolute contempt for Italy, the tournament as a whole and traveling fans to play like half of the third string here. 

Winds me up. Ireland won't do it, England won't do it they'll both stick sixty odd points on Italy, wrap up the bonus point early and build points difference. 

We'll win this by five points with a try or two and Gatland will celebrate our "strength in depth" before not taking half of these to the world cup anyway. 

Sakes. 

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Garland has a lot to answer for really. 

Absolute contempt for Italy, the tournament as a whole and traveling fans to play like half of the third string here. 

Winds me up. Ireland won't do it, England won't do it they'll both stick sixty odd points on Italy, wrap up the bonus point early and build points difference. 

We'll win this by five points with a try or two and Gatland will celebrate our "strength in depth" before not taking half of these to the world cup anyway. 

Sakes. 

Yep, pretty much spot on ..   a mixed up selection ...   different approach that’s for sure.